What is this and where does it go?

mattmathis

Reaction score
I was looking at my engine today and I noticed this. It was a small wire or hose, it looked like a wire, but it broke and there was no wire in it so I"m guessing a small hose? When I grabbed it to look at it the small hose snapped. The small hose was coming out of the fire wall and connected to this thing. And it was sitting just behind the intake. It looks like the end that was missing something is larger. Is this a vacuum line? Where does it go? And can I reconnect the two pieces of small hose? or what? Thanks!

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
That's a vacuum line if I'm not mistaken. You could repair it sure but your best bet is to go bring a piece to your local auto parts store and get a few feet of that size hose and replace it all. With a ~20 year old car the rest of that hose is bound to break off.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

Reaction score
That is the vacuum line that goes to the ac on the vacuum tree which is behind your brake booster, without that hose attached air will only blow through the defrost vents

Reaction score
You will prolly need about three feet of new vac line and new plugs on each end,

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
[MENTION=19442]mattmathis[/MENTION]
Because I'm currently bored as shit I just went out to my car. Just like [MENTION=19541]5.0[/MENTION] said but here's some pictures.
K17z28C.jpg

cBPQdz8.jpg

And incase those are confusing, scissors are pointing to the connector in your picture and the screw driver is pointing to the vacuum tree that the line goes to.
tIuBgPs.jpg

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Hell yea that's it. now, what do i do about where it goes through the firewall? There doesnt seem to be anyway to access that.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Hell yea that's it. now, what do i do about where it goes through the firewall? There doesnt seem to be anyway to access that.

I didn't look at the part when I was out at my car... Does it have a fitting at the firewall or does the hose go straight through the firewall?

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
straight through. I tried looking it up and it seems to be a common problem with these cars. Some people saly you can access it from behind the glove box. I"m gona go out and look at that. if not, I don't know what the hell to do. smfh

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
straight through. I tried looking it up and it seems to be a common problem with these cars. Some people saly you can access it from behind the glove box. I"m gona go out and look at that. if not, I don't know what the hell to do. smfh

I would bite the bullet, unbolt your passenger seat, remove your glovebox, and go digging. Under the dash work is impossible without removing the seat. Ask me how I know.

Reaction score
You can access it Farley easily by removing the glovebox, and getting a flashlight, I think that hose goes to the canister looking thing under there, it's held on by just one bolt,

Reaction score
I actually just lay upside down in the seat with my head hanging over the edge of the seat, and put a pillow down for head and work like that

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I actually just lay upside down in the seat with my head hanging over the edge of the seat, and put a pillow down for head and work like that

How tall are you? I'm 6' 1" and it's just not practical at all.. Lol

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
yea, I'm 6'1 also, and I don't' know about that. lol but seriously, I opened up the glove box and found what i think is that vac line. it goes through a small opening iin the firewall. Tomorrow when it stops raining I"m going to try and run a straightened out clothes hanger through there and see where it comes out. Then maybe I can run some new line by tying it to the end of the hanger and pulling it back through. What cha think? lol

toyman

Reaction score
Unless it's broken on the inside of the car just slip the new rubber vacuum tubing over the hard plastic line on the engine side and you will be fine.Vacuum tubing comes in all sizes of IDs from about 1/8" and up. Same with vacuum tees and joiners.

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
The coat hanger idea did not work. the line was way too far up inside the dash. But I took out the little black cylinder thing that is behind the glove box door. and that had the line connected to it. So i just got some more line and ran it from there under the middle of the dash and out where my am power wire was and plugged it up!

Thanks for the help fellas!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online