What is this white connector near PCM 98 MUSTANG GT

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, okay, no - that makes total sense. Seriously. I'm trying to tell from the pics, but the yellow wire to the PCM lines up connector-wise to the yellow wire on the other side, yes?

All this means is that the connector, while it can contain 4 discrete connections, is only using 1. Thus the yellow wire to the PCM. However, on the other side, those wires (with the exception of the 1 connection) go off to other stuff, most likely to dead-end. Ford, in saving some money (by only having to make 1 harness, wire in that much bulk is super cheap), installed the same harness on all the cars, regardless of options. In this case, the PCM only makes use of one of those options - the fuel gauge. Just out of curiosity, is your car a manual?

I wonder what options those other 3 wires are for. Also maybe interesting, notice how a large number of your pins are listed as NOT USED? In my diagram, for the 5.0L, almost every single pin is used up. I wonder if that has something to do with the full adoption of OBDII vs OBDI.

Nah, this makes total sense now. If it were 1 wire into 4, *THEN* I'd be like WTF.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ah, okay, no - that makes total sense. Seriously. I'm trying to tell from the pics, but the yellow wire to the PCM lines up connector-wise to the yellow wire on the other side, yes?

All this means is that the connector, while it can contain 4 discrete connections, is only using 1. Thus the yellow wire to the PCM. However, on the other side, those wires (with the exception of the 1 connection) go off to other stuff, most likely to dead-end. Ford, in saving some money (by only having to make 1 harness, wire in that much bulk is super cheap), installed the same harness on all the cars, regardless of options. In this case, the PCM only makes use of one of those options - the fuel gauge. Just out of curiosity, is your car a manual?

I wonder what options those other 3 wires are for. Also maybe interesting, notice how a large number of your pins are listed as NOT USED? In my diagram, for the 5.0L, almost every single pin is used up. I wonder if that has something to do with the full adoption of OBDII vs OBDI.

Nah, this makes total sense now. If it were 1 wire into 4, *THEN* I'd be like WTF.
My car is a v8 swap, with a manual
Im going to find my old harness and see if there are any other wires on that

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score

Yes, yellow lines up to yellow. I get it now, I was trying to use all 4 of the *dead end* wires. Thanks for the clarification

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.