What kind and how much royal purple...

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
Do I need for my tranny? 98 gt 5 speed manual.

I'm figuring I'll give royal purple a try since I've only heard good things and I'm due for mainenance in 400 miles anyway.

jpajkos

Reaction score
I believe for a drain and refill for a manuel its about 2 quarts? I know for gearoil its 2 bottles. I use royal purple and its great stuff.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
difference between gear oil and tranny fluid?

i've got gear whine. it hasn't been getting any worse but people ask if my car's supercharged all the time.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
MyBoxersSayJoe said:

i've got gear whine. it hasn't been getting any worse but people ask if my car's supercharged all the time.

that doesnt sound good :-\

jpajkos

Reaction score
Yes gear oil is very different. Gear oil its alot more dense, heaiver in weight. Get 2 bottles royal purple WITH friction modifier. It will help the gear whine alot. Buy any chance do you have richmond gears? There nutorious for having a horrible gear whine.

Ender

Reaction score
MyBoxersSayJoe said:
Do I need for my tranny? 98 gt 5 speed manual.

I'm figuring I'll give royal purple a try since I've only heard good things and I'm due for mainenance in 400 miles anyway.

I think it takes about two quarts. Fill it up until fluid start to leak out of the fill hole.

BradleyJP

Reaction score
MyBoxersSayJoe said:

Gear oil is MMMUUUUCCCCHHHHH thicker. Transmission fluid (ATF V or Manual Transmission Fluid) and gear oil are NOT interchangeable. Transmission fluid for both manual and auto is nearly the same consistency (thickness) of motor oil: it's thick but it still flows easily. Gear oil is about as "runny" as cold maple syrup; it's very thick and nasty poopswamp.

Is the gear whine coming from the rear end or transmission?

BradleyJP

Reaction score
Ender said:
I think it takes about two quarts. Fill it up until fluid start to leak out of the fill hole.

What he said. I'd buy three quarts (Gear oil bottles with the ~1.000in. fill nipple on the top are U.S. quart-sized, right?) just to be safe. While you're at Napa / Advance Auto Parts / Car Quests / Wal-Mart / "the store", also get a piece of rubber vacuum hose about 1.000ft long, with and ID (inside diameter) big enough to get snug on the spot of the gear oil bottle, and a single-edged razor blade (if you don't already have one).

1.) Remove BOTH drain plugs. The bottom one is to drain the fluid :tongue3:, but the top one is to allow air in and avoid causing a vacuum above the draining fluid, allowing the fluid to drain much faster (I remove my engine oil fill cap and pull up the dipstick before I drain my oil for the same reason). Allow as much to drain as possible. You can get more out if you jack up the car on the side opposite of the side of the transmission with the drain plug. This is not necessary, but I like to know I've done as much as possible.

2.) Replace the bottom drain plug, but leave the top plug out. This is your fill hole.

3.) Cut the spout of the first gear oil bottle one-half to three-quarters of the way down (basically make the hole a good size but leave enough of the spout so the vacuum hose will stay on it nice and tight). Don't forget to remove the safety seal under the plastic spout cap (only reminding b/c I've done it). Push the rubber hose onto the spout.

4.) Put the other end of the rubber hose into the fill hole on the transmission. There should be enough room to squeeze the bottle in between the transmission and the transmission tunnel, high enough to where the fill spout is higher than the fill hole (think "G-R-A-V-I-T-Y" :thumbsup:).
NOTE: Cut the length of the rubber hose to where you have enough to have a steady incline into the fill hole then about another 1.000in. more into the hole.

5a.) You can squeeze the bottle to drain the fluid. This is usually the quickest and what I'd do on a customer's car.

5b.) You can use the razor blade to cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle for ventilation, allowing you to prepare the next bottle and/or look under the car for leaking gaskets and hoses, uneven tire wear, and other items that need maintenance. This is what I'd do on my own car.

5c.) A guy at a shop I used to work at picked a very tiny hole in the bottom of the bottle, dug the nozzle of an air gun into the hole, and used compressed air to force the fluid into the transmission. Very quick and will be what I do when I finally buy an air gun.

If you've already heard all of this, I have just wasted the last 20 minutes typing this up :laughing4:. Hopefully, however, you'll be able to use something from that.

BradleyJP

Reaction score
BradleyJP said:
Ender said:

What he said. I'd buy three quarts (Gear oil bottles with the ~1.000in. fill nipple on the top are U.S. quart-sized, right?) just to be safe. While you're at Napa / Advance Auto Parts / Car Quests / Wal-Mart / "the store", also get a piece of rubber vacuum hose about 1.000ft long, with and ID (inside diameter) big enough to get snug on the spot of the gear oil bottle, and a single-edged razor blade (if you don't already have one).

1.) Remove BOTH drain plugs. The bottom one is to drain the fluid :tongue3:, but the top one is to allow air in and avoid causing a vacuum above the draining fluid, allowing the fluid to drain much faster (I remove my engine oil fill cap and pull up the dipstick before I drain my oil for the same reason). Allow as much to drain as possible. You can get more out if you jack up the car on the side opposite of the side of the transmission with the drain plug. This is not necessary, but I like to know I've done as much as possible.

2.) Replace the bottom drain plug, but leave the top plug out. This is your fill hole.

3.) Cut the spout of the first gear oil bottle one-half to three-quarters of the way down (basically make the hole a good size but leave enough of the spout so the vacuum hose will stay on it nice and tight). Don't forget to remove the safety seal under the plastic spout cap (only reminding b/c I've done it). Push the rubber hose onto the spout.

4.) Put the other end of the rubber hose into the fill hole on the transmission. There should be enough room to squeeze the bottle in between the transmission and the transmission tunnel, high enough to where the fill spout is higher than the fill hole (think "G-R-A-V-I-T-Y" :thumbsup:).
NOTE: Cut the length of the rubber hose to where you have enough to have a steady incline into the fill hole then about another 1.000in. more into the hole.

5a.) You can squeeze the bottle to drain the fluid. This is usually the quickest and what I'd do on a customer's car.

5b.) You can use the razor blade to cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle for ventilation, allowing you to prepare the next bottle and/or look under the car for leaking gaskets and hoses, uneven tire wear, and other items that need maintenance. This is what I'd do on my own car.

5c.) A guy at a shop I used to work at picked a very tiny hole in the bottom of the bottle, dug the nozzle of an air gun into the hole, and used compressed air to force the fluid into the transmission. Very quick and will be what I do when I finally buy an air gun.

6.) Fill with fluid until it starts to leak out of the fill hole. Basically, you want the oil to be as high as possible without leaking out of the hole.

If you've already heard all of this, I have just wasted the last 20 minutes typing this up :laughing4:. Hopefully, however, you'll be able to use something from that.

NERD

Reaction score
Run the oil that Tremec suggests..... Mobile1. The ford manual is gay, don't listen to it. Call tremec and ask them what oil they use to develop and test transmissions and what oil you should use for the T45. They'll tell you Mobile1.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a 5-sp but a lot of the guys who switch to synthetic complain about noise and feeling the vibration in the shifter more and switch back. Don't have first hand experience with it so take it anyway you want.

Real men drive automatics :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online