What next?

jaydee

Reaction score
I just bought a 95 GT with a Vortech Supercharger, 255 lpm in tank fuel pump, Tri-Ax shifter, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back, Spec Stage II clutch, 13" slotted and cross drilled rotors, 99 17" Cobra rims, and a few other mods to mention. My question is do you think gears would be a good next mod? I was thinking of doing some 3.73 gears to give it that extra Omph!

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes gears would be great, id say go with a lower gear because of the charger 3.55 would be nice. Another good thing would be a offroad H or X pipe, or highflo if you want to keep cats, headers are also another good thing, I would also go for a 70mm TB.

G

GREG@SN95

yes gears... w/ a s/c i wouldn't go over 3.73s

many run 4.10s... anything more is a nono

yellowgt

Reaction score
Gears for sure man...

I have 3:73's and there great.. :dancing6:

After gears I would go with heads, cam & intake.

Julian Moore

Reaction score
I run 3.73's with my vortech..perfect gear for the track. As far as your setup...stock heads andintake?? How much boost are you seeing with that? I would get a set of heads, intake, larger injectors and a tune and start making some serious power. I know $$$ but you never mentioned th emoney issue!! lol

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
ya i have 3 73's and their awesome with my supercharger

d_punch

Reaction score
gears would be nice. what gear it really depends on what you use the car for the most. if it's going to be mostly a track car and may even be on a trailer, then go with a crazy gear. if its a DD IMO i would do 3:55 tops 3:73. in the end it's up to you. but gears are a great bang for the buck.

i would also focus on letting the engine breath better. opening up the exhaust with headers and a mid pipe. also with a bigger throttle body and a CAI (i would do a power pipe from www. andersonfordmotorsport.com)

we need pics and more details.

DamieN

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
Yes gears would be great, id say go with a lower gear because of the charger 3.55 would be nice. Another good thing would be a offroad H or X pipe, or highflo if you want to keep cats, headers are also another good thing, I would also go for a 70mm TB.

Right on the Money!

G

GREG@SN95

straight from mustangboards... again... lol

Ok we all got sick of seeing these gear threads so this is THE official gear thread of gear threads. This should tell you mostly everything you need to know with gears. If a question you have, isnt answered in here ask and if it was and you post it, I will delete it because you are stupid.

What is the right gear choice for me?
Most people will tell you to go with 3.73s for v6s, 4.10s for 2v v8s, and 4.30s for 4v v8s. This is usually recommended for all Naturally Aspired engines, and even for the Forced Inductioned 03-04 Cobras. Nitrous injected, and supercharged, turbocharged vehicles usually yeild better results with smaller gears. There are countless ratios of gears available for vehicles but the most popular for us are 3.27s, 3.55s, 3.73s, 3.90s, 4.10s, and 4.30s. The numbers represent the ratio of the gear teeth to the pinion gear in the rear end. You can find this number by counting the teeth on the ring and dividing that number by the number on the pinion and that will be the gear ratio. The higher the number of the gear ratio, the more times your driveshaft will rotate per wheel rotation. 3.73 gears will rotate your driveshaft 3.75 times per one full turn of the wheel, and 4.10 gears will rotate a tad over 4 times per turn of the wheel. This is essentially a torque multiplier. With changing gears your rpms will change in each gear you are in, and I suggest looking at a gear calculator for your vehicle to pick which gear is best suited for you.
Gear Calculator : http://www.tchracing.com/tech/gearcalc

What is needed for the installation of gears?
There are a few things that are needed to complete the installation of new gears. First you need the ring and pinion with the ratio of your choice IE 3.73s, 3.90s, 4.10s, ect. Secondly you need 2 quarts of gear lube. I suggest a fully synthetic lube. Some have Friction modifier in it, and some dont. If its not included youll need it to help prevent your gears from "chattering." You will also need a rear end bearing kit, or installation kit depending on the mileage and year of your mustang. If you have a car with higher mileage or you are just picky or have bad luck, id say go with the bearing kit. If not the install kit is fine for most people. You will also need either a reprogrammer to make up for the change in gears or the dallas speedcal to fix your speedometer because gears will throw this off if it is not fixed correctly. Lastly, you need someone with the knowledge and the tools to do the installation right. If you ask "whats involved in installing gears" than chances are, you cant do it. Have a professional do them for you. The price should range for the average consumer around 100-250 bucks, all said and done.

Note: If you have a 1998 and prior car you do NOT need a Speedcal or a Reprogrammer. Your speedometer is mechanical, not electronic. Therefore, you need to get the proper speedometer gear to match up with your gear choice. You can find speedometer gears, here:

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/speedometer.htm

-Shambles

What do I get out of different gears?
As mentioned above, gears are a torque multiplier so it would feel like some soft of power adder was put on your vehicle. Most people can yelid on average of .5 seconds off your 1/4 time simply by changing your gears. You will also notice a lot of the serious mustang racers and NMRA racers with 4.30 gears are capable of putting themselves in the high 12s, with minor bolt ons, weight reduction, and drag radials, so that gives you an idea of what gears are really capable of with a good driver.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
SvtBlack95 said:
ya i have 3 73's and their awesome with my supercharger

not severe wheel spin with the boost and steep gear?

o yea deff traction is a big issue i need some drag radials some control arms... but once i hook the car becmes a beast 1st and 2nd its nothin but spining....3.55 is a real good gear to go with but from having both 3.73 is great

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
the Dr's and control arms will cut that wheel spin dramatically, you will take off like a rocket then 8)

94TURBO5 0

Reaction score
One more vote for 3:73's! :thumb: Surprised with all those mods that gears aren't already in there.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
the Dr's and control arms will cut that wheel spin dramatically, you will take off like a rocket then 8)

ya i cant wait for some traction in 1st and 2nd so i can put this charger to good use

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online