What PI heads do i need?

smasher41

Reaction score
hey guys, i have a few questions for you guru's out there.

1. I have seen different company heads ( like Romeo), what is the difference, and which will i need for my 1998 engine?

2. Also, ive seen that the heads have different valve covers or somthing about a certian number of screws... is this somthing else i need to buy?

Basically, im looking to do a PI swap, and am trying to plan out what type or where to get the PI heads from, Ive seen several new and used on ebay and dont want to drop 300-600 on somthing i cant even use. Should i get a new head install kit with the gaskets and bolts etc that ford racing sells?

gt96stang

Reaction score
Any heads from a 99-04 mustang will work
99-00 heads are windsor and have 13/14 valve cover bolts.. So you would need the valve covers to go with the heads.. also you would need a couple of longer timing cover bolts
01-04 are romeo, which will be more of a "direct swap" since you can reuse your valve covers and not worry about getting new timing cover bolts..

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
gt96stang said:
Any heads from a 99-04 mustang will work
99-00 heads are windsor and have 13/14 valve cover bolts.. So you would need the valve covers to go with the heads.. also you would need a couple of longer timing cover bolts
01-04 are romeo, which will be more of a "direct swap" since you can reuse your valve covers and not worry about getting new timing cover bolts..

thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for.

other than being told Romeo or windsor, is there any way to tell from pics ( ebay listings) which they are?

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
I have no clue how much that would cost, and my heads have a lot of miles on them ( 160K !) so i figured maybe its time to replace them.

I found some heads for $300 from an 01 gt complete, and was hoping it would work.
(I also found NPI heads complete for 100 shipped.. .would the lowe compression be better for my older engine? )

The black plastic cover on my engine has 11 bolts on both sides, this is a Romeo correct? the 8th Vin number is X.

thanks for the help guys. I prob would have bought the wrong parts by now if it wasnt for you guys :)

Pennywise2

Reaction score
smasher41 said:
I have no clue how much that would cost, and my heads have a lot of miles on them ( 160K !) so i figured maybe its time to replace them.

I found some heads for $300 from an 01 gt complete, and was hoping it would work.
(I also found NPI heads complete for 100 shipped.. .would the lowe compression be better for my older engine? )

The black plastic cover on my engine has 11 bolts on both sides, this is a Romeo correct? the 8th Vin number is X.

thanks for the help guys. I prob would have bought the wrong parts by now if it wasnt for you guys :)
That's really high mileage I would do the PI headswap and
rebuild your bottom end or get a new shortblock.

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
That's really high mileage I would do the PI headswap and
rebuild your bottom end or get a new shortblock.

Yeah it is a hell of a lot ( all highway miles according to previous owner who had long distance job), the car was in just such good shape and runs perfectly ( had 3 technicians i trust check it out and all said it was one hell of car)
I had to have it :)

thanks for the help guys, im awaiting a response if the guy's used heads (27k miles on it) are romeo or not, and if so im going for it!

Adam

Reaction score
The Romeo heads have a cam girdle, the Windsors have individual cam caps. Also if PI cams are in the heads, the Windsors are a press on cam gear (which sucks) and the Romeo cam gears are bolted on. The Romeo is the way to go if you ask me. The timing cover bolts aren't actually longer they are a different diameter 8mm or 10mm I think..can't remember offhand.

Adam

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
well i snagged some PI Romeo heads with cams off ebay the other day, ordering the ford install kit and a PI manifold etc in the next week or so, got my summer plans in motion :)
going to clean them up and everything little by little before install

7cf8_1.JPG

7dbb_1.JPG

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
Thanks!, they came with a PI intake manifold too, but its the 01 all plastic one.

seller claims 27k miles on them with no issues ( only changed out cause he switched to DOHC)

before i pull the stock heads, im going to seafoam the shit out of them and see how the clean up!

Pennywise2

Reaction score
smasher41 said:
Thanks!, they came with a PI intake manifold too, but its the 01 all plastic one.

seller claims 27k miles on them with no issues ( only changed out cause he switched to DOHC)

before i pull the stock heads, im going to seafoam the shit out of them and see how the clean up!
That's not bad miles at all on those heads.
If you got a PI intake on that deal you got a even better deal
because I ever seen people selling them that cheap.
Seafoam that thing all three ways lol.

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
Holy hell, after talking to Randy at mustangboards.com i'm not so sure i am able to commit to this mod. The install parts list he gave me comes to $500.08 !

heads$ 380 shipped
intake manifold (used) $90-100
instlal kit $500

sheesh!

BtW, will i need to get my heads remachined before install so i get good compression seal on the gaskets?

voidfinger

Reaction score
why is the install kit 500? it only cost 1oo and something dollars. the head change kit is all you need, gaskets and misc crap but nothing that will cost 500...... :comando: o and if you deside you don't want to do it ill think about giving you some money for those heads. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online