What rpm do you idle at?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m at 1,000rpm idle after warmed up, been running for a while, sitting at a stop light….

Seems a bit high. 800-900 I’m used to in other vehicles.

joemomma

Reaction score
I'm right at 1000 rpm when warm with AC cycled off. When the AC kicks on it will dip to 8-900. That's a little high for my liking (it sounds better idling lower IMO) but I had to run it up that much with the air control screw because I was having issues with it dying coming to a stop.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
1k is pretty high. I mean, depending on cam specs it might need that, but that high of idle would be for a pretty radical cam. This can all be fixed in the tune. If your car dies when you come to a stop, the IAC tuning needs work.

joemomma

Reaction score
It def needs work lol. I dicked with it quite a bit over the summer (clean IAC, MAF, TB, base idle reset, etc.), but finally got tired of messing with it and just left it there so I could drive it. I adjusted with the air idle screw on the top of the TB.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
860 rpm is what I have it set at. It seems to struggle a little at 850, 1000 is too high for someone with minimal modifications. Start simple with a smoke check to test for vac leaks, get a cigar...

joemomma

Reaction score
I have plans to build one of the DIY smoke testers (really just a project to play with) and test once I have that done. I imagine there's a leak or two to be found.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have plans to build one of the DIY smoke testers (really just a project to play with) and test once I have that done. I imagine there's a leak or two to be found.
Joe, (or do you prefer Mr. Momma?)!

Maybe keep us posted on that. Particularly where you found leaks. Could help lots of others in the future as “likely/possible culprits”.

Cheers

joemomma

Reaction score
Joe works :) I may attempt that over the winter, just depends on how much free time I have and how long the car is in the body shop. All my stuff is in storage at the moment, but I could work on it at my parents' house.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just get one of your smoking friends to come by and blow it in the hose connected to the brake booster.

joe65

Reaction score
Mine is right in the 800-900 range when warmed up.

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
Yesterday, being a Thursday, with engine warm and idling while facing southeast and an altitude of 680 FASL, idle Rpm was 753 according to the factory supplied onboard dash Rpm gauge. Yes, the gauge was lighted. I was the only occupant in the 1996 GT. The time was 10:05 CST. Light cloud cover (non electronic) with 62% humidity. I think this covers all the factors potentially involved. (Tongue in cheek humor) Oh yeah, the wind was out of the South at 6 mph, if that helps. And furthermore, the convertible top was up and seat belt fastened. Yikes!
Enjoy the day!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Yesterday, being a Thursday, with engine warm and idling while facing southeast and an altitude of 680 FASL, idle Rpm was 753 according to the factory supplied onboard dash Rpm gauge. Yes, the gauge was lighted. I was the only occupant in the 1996 GT. The time was 10:05 CST. Light cloud cover (non electronic) with 62% humidity. I think this covers all the factors potentially involved. (Tongue in cheek humor) Oh yeah, the wind was out of the South at 6 mph, if that helps. And furthermore, the convertible top was up and seat belt fastened. Yikes!
Enjoy the day!
We need to know the idle in all these EXACT same conditions accept for the top. We need to know what it is with the top down so we can be absolutely sure everything is good.

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
We need to know the idle in all these EXACT same conditions accept for the top. We need to know what it is with the top down so we can be absolutely sure everything is good.
My kinda humor! Please believe me when I say that everyone's comments were interesting to me! I simply saw humor in the various conditions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online