what should be done to a nice set of new heads?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
When I got my trickflow twisted wedge heads years ago I just slapped them on. I have been hearing more and more that even on a quality set of new heads that its not a bad idea to lap the valves at the least. What would you do at a minimum and if you had a few bucks to spend are there any machining upgrades that can be done on I think they were 170cc heads?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its bot a bad idea to get a machine shop to overview the heads. They may catch something wrong that the manufacturer missed that could have potentially caused you a headache. The machine shops constantly have their eyes focused for out of place components.

Its also not a bad idea to re-lap the valves after a bunch of heat cycles. Aluminum heads are notorious about the valve seats moving around a little bit before they actually take a seat.

Port matching to the intake gasket used isnt a bad idea. This does nothing for gained cfm within the port but doeas eliminates port mismatch entry and most commonly a problem with the older style engines. In a perfect world the ports would mate together in the right spots or the intakes port is bigger the the heads port or vise versa, in general not being a smooth transition. Port matching the head to the intake gasket usually make that port bigger entry than the intake exit.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I noticed while I was going back over the car checking for loose bolts that I still have an oil leak on the top/back of the passenger side from what looks like the valve cover. I just replaced the gasket in an attempt to fix that same leak so it has me wondering if the valve covers or the head isn't flat now. While I am in that far I am considering sending them off to get checked out and if there was anything that they could do performance wise I would do it. Port matching I am not afraid to do myself but if they are in the shop I will might just have them take care of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Staff online

Members online