What should I do to my exhaust

devvy

Reaction score
Hey! Just recently bought a 1995 Mustang GT and I don't like how quiet it is... It's gonna be my daily so I'm not trying to make it ear piercingly loud but about medium sound level so it doesn't sound like its a hybrid lol. I've been doing some research and this is what I've decided so far: I eventually want to get long tube headers so while I'm doing that I wanted to do the exhaust. I read that I need a different mid pipe if I install long tube headers so I decided I want an aftermarket H pipe, but I have no luck yet with what I should get. I was thinking of getting this catback exhaust but i was told that I don't need a catback exhaust, just to replace my mufflers? If that's the case, what kinda mufflers should I be looking for? Thank you.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you just want it a little louder as he said new mufflers will do. Longtubes can help add power with the right adders on top of them but they will require a new mid pipe and are also much more difficult to install than shortys if you are doing the work yourself in the driveway.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
An of-road H-pipe made a difference in mine until I swapped out the entire system. A cat-back will as well. I swapped headers first, then the H-pipe, then the rest. Word to the wise and take it for what it's worth; stay with the same brand system front-to-back. Mixing and matching can prove...challenging.

302hobronco

Reaction score
Best bang for buck power wise on my 94 was an X pipe from summit than into some flowmaster 40s. Getting rid of the 4 cats made a huge improvement.
If you can't dump the cats get new high flow cats and a muffler of your choice. The stock cats really quiet the exhaust down.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Being in Kommiefornia and having to pass smog inspections I went with a Magnaflow 441114 CARB legal mid-pipe and their street series catback. Plenty of good sounding burble and rumble without so much loud that it attracts cops looking to issue one of those sweet sweet $1000 emissions equipment tickets. Sometimes I feel like I would like it a tiny bit louder but my recent experience with a blown out manifold to mid-pipe gasket makes me sure I don't want it enough when I do feel like it might be nice to live with it every single day.

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
On my 2000 GT the muffler shop recommended a cheap easy solution, delete the mufflers. Leaving the four cats in place they are already mufflers of sort. The car was not real loud but sounded great.

shovel

Reaction score
My 94 came with Flowmaster 40's which drone like crazy at moderate speeds (50-70mph) in 5th gear. Interestingly the drone became less annoying when I changed to a Cobra intake manifold but I'm still going to put quieter mufflers on when I have the spare $$ for that.

I guess I just never understood the loud exhaust thing even when I was younger. Weed wackers are loud AF too.

maillemaker

Reaction score
I bought a 95GT a couple of months ago. Someone had done an exhaust job on it and deleted the cats. Car stunk of exhaust. I had cats put back in. Doesn't sound as cool, but the car doesn't stink anymore.

shovel

Reaction score
I bought a 95GT a couple of months ago. Someone had done an exhaust job on it and deleted the cats. Car stunk of exhaust. I had cats put back in. Doesn't sound as cool, but the car doesn't stink anymore.

And of course every single one of them will say "nuh uh if u tune it right it don't stink" .... yeah that's not how it works. It's like in the 80s and 90s we didn't think bars stank like an ashtray because they all did and we were used to it. Visit a smoking bar now and you'll still be smelling it when you wash that load of clothes days later.

Last edited:

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Absolutely love the sound of my SLP Loudmouth cat-back system. Basically, a muffler delete system.

Oldman

Reaction score
Hey! Just recently bought a 1995 Mustang GT and I don't like how quiet it is... It's gonna be my daily so I'm not trying to make it ear piercingly loud but about medium sound level so it doesn't sound like its a hybrid lol. I've been doing some research and this is what I've decided so far: I eventually want to get long tube headers so while I'm doing that I wanted to do the exhaust. I read that I need a different mid pipe if I install long tube headers so I decided I want an aftermarket H pipe, but I have no luck yet with what I should get. I was thinking of getting this catback exhaust but i was told that I don't need a catback exhaust, just to replace my mufflers? If that's the case, what kinda mufflers should I be looking for? Thank you.
flowmaster makes good mufflers for affordable prices. there is a site that will even play the sound of the different mufflers. good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.