What should I do?

Mbachota97

Reaction score
I been wondering about what my next move should be on my car. I want some opinions on what i should do. I plan on using around 3k. I was thinking about doing a motor swap but im not sure.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
PI swap is a good idea but so is a blower :banana: might cost a hiar over 3k though

OP
OP
M

Mbachota97

Reaction score
Well I was thinking about getting a cobra motor if i could find one for 3k but i really doubt it. I was really leaning toward a new motor with forged internals, so that i wouldnt have to worry about breaking something. I really just want a 12 sec daily driver or faster.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mbachota97 said:
Well I was thinking about getting a cobra motor if i could find one for 3k but i really doubt it. I was really leaning toward a new motor with forged internals, so that i wouldnt have to worry about breaking something. I really just want a 12 sec daily driver or faster.
cool cool.
You can get low 400 HP on your stock engine.
Forged internals are nice, but you'll get no extra power from that.

You may have to break it down into stages.
If you're gonna go for over 400 HP, you'll wanna do the engine.

If not then blower/PI intake/cams
or ported PI/custom cams.
SImilar power from either.

Which way sounds better to you?

whty98

Reaction score
I would do a cobra motor swap, I just saw one of eBay with 33K and selling for 3K "buy it now" and no one bought it. Had the computer, wiring, K-member, EVERYTHING YOU NEED, except some longtubes. You already have a decent platform to do your motor build up.

OP
OP
M

Mbachota97

Reaction score
Im just really confused b/c i would like to just have all power than having a power adder put on. I want forged internals just for the simple fact i wouldnt worry about how much hp and hoping the bottom will hold up. What would it take to just run mid 12s or lower. Another 200 hp or more?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
there's a number of different options, for sure.

obviously, you'll need good tires, good suspension and a good launch, but to get low 12's
you're looking at 450+ at the wheels.
this is an estimate.

that's just beyond the safe HP limit of your rotating assembly.

You can push 400 and be fine. A good tune is the key to things not breaking.
bad Detonation can break any engine.

for 3K - I'd start with the PI's and cams, and go from there.
that will give you around 100 HP, and allow more gains from future upgrades.

silverstang1996

Reaction score
well remember the more extreme you go, the more money you'll have to pay to have it all installed, unless you plan on doing it yourself or someones help for free

OP
OP
M

Mbachota97

Reaction score
What do you think about patriot heads stage 3 or go with somebody else? Just patriot heads for the stage 3 is about 1500 which i would have 1500 left over or is there better heads around that will give me more for around 2k instead of 3k. Should i just take my heads and have them ported and polished?

Ender

Reaction score
Send your heads to Steen, he is the best there is with modular heads.

OP
OP
M

Mbachota97

Reaction score
Would it be cheaper for him to port and polish rather than buying aftermaket heads that come with new cams as well?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The partiots are good too.
Do they come with cam options?
does it come with the head changing parts?

Are you talking about porting your stock heads??

jpajkos

Reaction score
I would do the P.I. Swap and have the heads ported. Stage 2 VT cams and a ported intake and plenum. I don't know what supporting mods you have but I would defiantly get the steen kit.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Don't buy Patriot heads....i don't care what else you do just don't buy Patriot heads...they are a shit company! Many have had issues because they do shit work so unless you want to have to take your new Patriot heads off at your expense and send them back for repair spend the few extra dollars for VT Engines / Fox Lake / MPH etc... reputation is everything and Patriot has a shitty one because they suck.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ok strike that, patriots are bad!!
gotta love quality control. they were pretty good when they started dong them...
anyway,

Droptop has good feedback info.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
ok strike that, patriots are bad!!
gotta love quality control. they were pretty good when they started dong them...
anyway,

Droptop has good feedback info.
I think Patriot may have become to big for their own good...I've spoken with Gunnar and he is a great guy but theres way to many people having issues with valves/guides being improperly hogged out/installed and causing issues. It comes down to QC and spending your hard earned money on a quality product. Thus the reason i chose VT Engines for my heads eventhough Gunnar from Patriot was a nice guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online