What should i do?

Spd0lit

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I'm liking it so far but i don't know what to do next with my car. I was thinking maybe putting together a h/c/i or a stroker but i can't decide which

P.S. This is a bone stock 5.0 with 123,000 miles

OP
OP
S

Spd0lit

Reaction score
I was thinking AFR 165s, e303 cam, and Holley systemax 2 intake but i don't know if i should do the bottom end first

ryclef331

Reaction score
Your bottom end is probably pretty tired. I'd look into doing a budget rebuild on the bottom end and a good HCI package. I'd just knock out a quick 306 bottom end (reconditioned stock rods, stock crank, new bearings through, and some forged flat top .030" pistons). Have the block zero decked, pick the HCI combo of your choice, and have a ball! Even the most basic of the edelbrock performer packages will pump out 300hp with a healthy bottom end and a good tune.

Pretty much everything on the car is going to be tired. You can run a compression test to see if all the cylinders are healthy. If thats all good, you CAN slap a h/c/i combo on THAT for now until you have the money for a bottom end. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to do things twice so I'd opt for the rebuild NOW...even if it means saving up a few more bucks....but a bottom end isn't THAT much. I know of one locally with 200miles on it for 800bucks. Look around...the deals are out there.

Thats the meat and potatoes of it....You really need to figure out what you want the car to do!

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
$3,000 will not get him a flat topped 306 with new aluminum heads, cam, and intake unless he is doing all the work himself except for the machine work.

I'd run the 123k mile shortblock until you had the money to put in a new 306 short block...My idea...--->

Copy my HCI on the stock short block...AFR 165 heads w/ upgraded valve springs, CI custom cam, and Edelbrock Performer intake. The car runs faster than a LS1 and that is plenty for now while I could be building a forged shortblock on the side. My car has 122k miles on it with the above combination plus a healthy dose of nitrous. Doesn't burn and oil and runs like hell! My motor isn't tires at 122k miles!!!

ryclef331

Reaction score
Stopsign32v said:
$3,000 will not get him a flat topped 306 with new aluminum heads, cam, and intake unless he is doing all the work himself except for the machine work.

I'd run the 123k mile shortblock until you had the money to put in a new 306 short block...My idea...--->

Copy my HCI on the stock short block...AFR 165 heads w/ upgraded valve springs, CI custom cam, and Edelbrock Performer intake. The car runs faster than a LS1 and that is plenty for now while I could be building a forged shortblock on the side. My car has 122k miles on it with the above combination plus a healthy dose of nitrous. Doesn't burn and oil and runs like hell! My motor isn't tires at 122k miles!!!

wow...thanks for reiterrating exactly what I said above. I hope you weren't trying to argue with me. I never said 3 grand would get it ALL. Read it again.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
Since you have high mileage I would do a H/C/I as these guys said. O0

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
wow...thanks for reiterrating exactly what I said above. I hope you weren't trying to argue with me. I never said 3 grand would get it ALL. Read it again.

No I was just backing up what you said

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
i would def do a compression check and go from there. Are you going to do most of the work yourself? That will make a big difference in $$

ryclef331

Reaction score
Stopsign32v said:
ryclef331 said:

No I was just backing up what you said

Got ya. O0

Stangbangin

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Your bottom end is probably pretty tired. I'd look into doing a budget rebuild on the bottom end and a good HCI package. I'd just knock out a quick 306 bottom end (reconditioned stock rods, stock crank, new bearings through, and some forged flat top .030" pistons). Have the block zero decked, pick the HCI combo of your choice, and have a ball! Even the most basic of the edelbrock performer packages will pump out 300hp with a healthy bottom end and a good tune.

Pretty much everything on the car is going to be tired. You can run a compression test to see if all the cylinders are healthy. If thats all good, you CAN slap a h/c/i combo on THAT for now until you have the money for a bottom end. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to do things twice so I'd opt for the rebuild NOW...even if it means saving up a few more bucks....but a bottom end isn't THAT much. I know of one locally with 200miles on it for 800bucks. Look around...the deals are out there.

Thats the meat and potatoes of it....You really need to figure out what you want the car to do!

Treat anything ryclef says as gospel I can't tell you how much I've learned just from reading his posts.

OP
OP
S

Spd0lit

Reaction score
yes i have already had a compression check and that is good to go. so a H/C/I it is and yes i will be doing all the works myself and some of my buddies.

Reaction score
GonPld said:
yes i have already had a compression check and that is good to go. so a H/C/I it is and yes i will be doing all the works myself and some of my buddies.

H/C/I...always a good decision. (Samuel Adams voice)

Hicks

Reaction score
I'd still say go with what the guys are saying. Go ahead and do things right and re-do the bottum end.

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
GonPld said:

Great, so just buy you some good H/C/I for your stock shortblock. Whatever you do PLEASE go with a custom cam. It will make all the difference in the world!!! And stay as far away as possible from that damn E303 cam...Or any Ford cam for that matter!!! :comando:

And when you do your combo don't think the biggest is best. Get parts that will go well together. Example...you said earlier AFR 165 heads with a Holley Systemax 2 intake. That intake will be WAY too big for your 302 and you will make no power until 3,000rpms. Also the intake will not match up to the heads so you will not have a smooth transaction between the intake and heads. That is what makes power. Matching the ports together. Do some research before you spend your $3,000.

ryclef331

Reaction score
For a mild street 302, a set of 165's and a RPM II intake would be a great setup up. Plenty of tq down low and enough to make power to the redline. I agree with the custom cam if you want to spend the money. ANOTHER option is giving comp cams tech line a call and ask them which cam off their XE (Xtreme Energy) Series would work best. I've seen some SPECTACULAR numbers from those cams in a few cars. If you go custom ground, Ed Curtis at Flow Tech Induction is your man. www.flowtechinduction.com. WHATEVER YOU DO!!!! DO NOT GET A CAME FROM D&D MOTORSPORTS! There so called "custom" cam that was ground SPECIFICALLY for MY car....was a fucking off the shelf ERSON cam for a carb'd coverted roller motor. It makes GREAT power now that I'm switching to an intake that can take advantage of its powerband, HOWEVER, I'm going to switching to a bigger comp cam here before too long.

G

GREG@SN95

personally... I'd redo the entire motor

the H/C/I combo and throw a set of forged internals in incase you decide to run a power adder...

If ya got the money punch it out or stroke it...

Stangbangin

Reaction score
If you do decide to get some new internals I would opt out of gettin a forged crank.....the stock one is pretty good for alot of power( more than you'll probably make) the block will go before the crank. just get forged rods and pistons and a cast crank and have it all balanced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online