What the hell is this

Sn95Willis

Reaction score
What is this and where does it go and used for?? Talking about the wires that are laying over the CAi...

2yybkgw.jpg

Nacho

Reaction score
If you're talking about those colored lil hoses, I think they're vaccuum lines for the smog shit. I don't have a single one hooked up, but I don't have the smog pump or the egr crap.

OP
OP
Sn95Willis

Sn95Willis

Reaction score
Ok well i took the smog pump off... Not really sure what to do with the EGR stuff...

Willis

Nacho

Reaction score
yank it off. just make sure to plug the egr connection to the elbow of the intake.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i was gonna say it looks like stuff to your emission stuff thats not under your hood lol

98-5.0

Reaction score
those are your vacuum lines to your emissions......you dont want to delete your egr....however you can take off your smog pump.........and all the crap it goes with ......but leave those hooked up in the fender and just plug the ends of the white and orange one and leave the red and green hooked to the egr.......if you yank em your car will run like crap.....if you get a tune you can delete your egr but i wouldnt recomend that.......

ryclef331

Reaction score
98-5.0 said:
if you get a tune you can delete your egr but i wouldnt recomend that.......

I agree with everything you said but THAT. WHy not ditch it? Its ugly as shit. Turning it off in the tune negates any CELs and part throttle detonation. You're not concerned with the enviroment obviously as you've already ditched the smog pump. ON a stock car, I don't reccomend yanking it unless properly disabled. DO a search on here. I've covered it more than once in depth in other threads.

snoball

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures with all that stuff removed and how to hook it up. I plan on doing that in September because thats when emissions for 95 and older beceomes execept in MO and only obd2 cars have to be tested.

97vertstang

Reaction score
Snoball said:
Anyone have pictures with all that stuff removed and how to hook it up. I plan on doing that in September because thats when emissions for 95 and older beceomes execept in MO and only obd2 cars have to be tested.
are u kidding me???? man does cali suck!!!!!we have it locked at 76 :rant:

snoball

Reaction score
No joke, alot of guys i know with obd2 cars have no smog/cats anything and they just take the check engine light bulb out and clear the codes before the go in a handheld tuner. Works every time.

Nacho

Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with you Ry and 95 5.0. My car didn't have smog or EGR when it was bone stock. All those lines have been cut in the fender and never had any problems with my car running like crap. I even unplugged that black canister that hooks up to the intake, and no driveability issues.

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
98-5.0 said:
if you get a tune you can delete your egr but i wouldnt recomend that.......

I agree with everything you said but THAT. WHy not ditch it? Its ugly as shit. Turning it off in the tune negates any CELs and part throttle detonation. You're not concerned with the enviroment obviously as you've already ditched the smog pump. ON a stock car, I don't reccomend yanking it unless properly disabled. DO a search on here. I've covered it more than once in depth in other threads.
what does detination sound like, i had a friend drive my car around and said it sounds like its detinating, this was when he was slightly acceling under load (low rpm 4th gear auto). but this sound i think is jus from x-pipes. i have an x pipe and the egr was taken off then was tuned afterward so no check engine light

samseed101

Reaction score
I have a question about this. I have recently removed my EGR and covered the hole in the TB with a plate and gasket. So what do I do with these hoses (the ones the original poster took a pic of.)

The red one used to go to the upper intake near the elbow. The green one went to teh EGR. I have no clue where the other one went. Can I just cap these off or do I still need to have any of them installed? Perhaps the one that was attached to the intake elbow? I still have my smog pump installed, just not my EGR. I think I may have a cak leak now becaus of this but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
Sn95Willis

Sn95Willis

Reaction score
yea well the red one that i guess was connected to the elbow wasnt connected.. I pulled it a little and it came right off.. Do i need to plug that or some how put it back in...

Green 94 331

Reaction score
5.HOE said:
Snoball said:
are u kidding me???? man does cali suck!!!!!we have it locked at 76 :rant:
florida ditched emissions testing completely. basically, it was costing more than it was bringing in so it was discontinued.

Green 94 331

Reaction score
as far as my car goes, the smog and egr have been completely removed. i filled all of those lines with rtv and tucked them in the fender. aside from that, the smog and egr are both disabled in the tweecer. i havent had any problems in the 4 years the car has been this way.

Nacho

Reaction score
I believe that red tube you guys speak of goes to the fpr, at least it did on mine. If you plugged up the egr from the elbow, then all those lines are useless. They're vaccuum lines and you just plugged up the vaccuum source so.....

ryclef331

Reaction score
Man, it has been SO long since any of that stuff was on my car. I'm trying real hard to remember. I'm seeing if I can find a pic of the stock routing. BUT in the mean time, If you're eliminating your EGR all together, why are you keeping the smog pump? It is the EGR that usually causes problems when you ditch it without either A) tricking it via the solenoid plunger or B) turning it off with a tune. If you ditch BOTH, (and you don't have cats) you can get rid of ALL those lines. Reason you need to NOT have cats is b/c two of those line operate air diverter valves....ONE of them pumps air into the back of the cylinder heads through those ports on the back to cool off the front two cats and the other down that small long ass tube that connects at the h pipe...to cool the rear two. IF you don't have smong, egr, or cats....yank it all, cap off the ports on the intake. IF you do this....you should have 4 things operating off the vaccum of your intake

1) The Brake Booster/Cruise Control (Big ass vaccum line that goes to a vaccum tree on the driver's side by the fender)
2) EVAP Canister (The purge solenoid is on the firewall on the passenger side.)
3) Fuel Pressure Regulator
4) PCV

Thats IT. Provided you've got someway to shut off that EGR in the computer or trick it, go for it. As mention ABOVE, some people don't have any problems without their EGR and no tune....Good for you. MOST people do. If you don't know what detonation sounds like, take a couple of BB's and put them in a coffee can.....then shake. That is EXACT what it sounds like. Some people that DON'T know blow it off as valve train noise or loose exhaust....until the motor pops.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online