What the hell is up with exhaust parts??

Hybridbird

Reaction score
I was wondering if one (or several) of you guys could tell me why 90% of the listings in the Mustang rags and parts catalogs,list cat backs and/or tailpipes for every year EXCEPT the 98's?While flipping through looking @ Summitt,Jegs,Flowmaster,Dynomax...etc,they all go up to 97 then skip to 99 and newer.Is there something significantly different about the 98's or something minor that can be dealt with,or do I just get a 97 set up??Thanx for all the help so far guys!

G

GREG@SN95

Hybridbird said:
I was wondering if one (or several) of you guys could tell me why 90% of the listings in the Mustang rags and parts catalogs,list cat backs and/or tailpipes for every year EXCEPT the 98's?While flipping through looking @ Summitt,Jegs,Flowmaster,Dynomax...etc,they all go up to 97 then skip to 99 and newer.Is there something significantly different about the 98's or something minor that can be dealt with,or do I just get a 97 set up??Thanx for all the help so far guys!

really?

thats wierd...

years 1996 - 1998 are all the same... the GTs and COBRAS

so don't sweat it ;)

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
like greg said, all exhaust for 96-98 are the same...some places might end with 97 because in 98 they switched the fuel system.

OP
OP
H

Hybridbird

Reaction score
Thanx,good to know guys.So,98 is when they switched to returnless fuel system?

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
There are special hangers that hang the rear tailpipes. When I got my Magnaflow catback in the instructions it says only to use the piece on 98's. When I was shopping around I noticed in some of the car magazines they list the kit from 96-97 then Magnaflow changed it to 96-98 when I contacted them. Hope this helps!! :thumb:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
Hybridbird said:

really?

thats wierd...years 1996 - 1998 are all the same... the GTs and COBRAS
so don't sweat it ;)

They aren't the same, 98 is a hybrid year with some parts from 97 and some changing towards 99 like fuel pump and catback system...the hangers are in different locations on 98 then 96-97...thus the reason 98's aren't listed with the others. Same thing with fuel pumps...its a return style system but you have to modify the basket to use a pump for 96-97 but Vortech makes a 98 specific fuel pump. Alot of 98 owners have posted little differences on other forums that make you scratch your head...thats Ford for you.

OP
OP
H

Hybridbird

Reaction score
So hows about I just change my hangers to 97 or 99 style and just use one of those?I'm guessing the holes would still be present to use say a 97 style hanger?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They have catbacks for 98's probably just have to call the vendors...try artsperformanceparts.com he's a vendor here...or you can just move the hangers to work on your car.

cinder

Reaction score
As I get into modifying my car I am finding different odd things about it for instance it's a 98 but was made in jan of 97 and has a return style fuel system(which I'm really happy with ).Another thing my power dist. box resembles a 99 and not a 98.I"m kinda happy to hear I don't have the only odd ,car ford drives me crazy with this stuff :dunno:

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
Hybridbird said:

really?

thats wierd...

years 1996 - 1998 are all the same... the GTs and COBRAS

so don't sweat it ;)

the exhaust for the 98 is different than the 96 and 97's. different hangers as well.
in '98 the exhaust for the GT was "refined" to free up 10hp.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Like DropTop said, the hangers are different. If I remember right it is just the rear hangers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.