What the hell should I do?

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I need more power. 4.10s, shift kit, and exhaust isnt cutting it no mo. I need it to put you in the seat when I punch it. Im thinking about going all at and buying a fecking KB? Seriously, I am. Im been saving up for a new motor but I think im going with a KB because it will sound cooler if I said, "Oh it just has a KB Blower and some other goodies, thats it". What all am I gonna need, and whats gonna end up breaking after I put it on? I have an Auto tranny and Im thinking that will be the first to go...

THanks fellllas

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
that's a great way to go, no doubt.
You'll get really good feel from that.

I had an auto, and looked at KB hard, so here's what I think on it.

PI heads or NPI's?

You'll want a higher staul convertor, probably around 3200rpm or such.
Axles if your planning on drag racing and launching with slicks, you'll have more low end torque with a KB.

The KB comes with all you'll need on top of the motor, and the fuel system.
You'll then want a tune, and to get a good flowing exhaust.
Long tubes would benefit your increased air flow.

Much over 400 HP to the wheels and you'll wanna build the motor.

You'll also want some good tires to put that power to the ground.
more go, less wheelspin.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The KB is the way to go...now there is no non ic unit so you gotta spring for the IC'd unit which is a good thing. Your auto will be ok for awhile they are really strong but you should update the internals to PI or better spec...find the info on www.tccoa.com under trans 101...read it all.

oh yeah you will need to get some blower cams...the stock NPI cams will hurt you bad.

OP
OP
F

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

So heres what I got on my list so far for the motor part...

Blower
Blower Cams
LT's
Stall Convertor

So if I dont go PI then what? WHat if I do? Im confused on this part. I know I'll have to keep the compression down if I go PI, but I really dont want ot go the PI'ed route..

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Damn Fets that would be sweet! How much money do you have......? Also, how many miles are on your car? I wouldn't personally put a KB on it if it had 130,000 obviously unless you did compression tests, and knew everything internal was ok..... I'd rather have a slow car that runs than a super fast one that doesn't..... Not killin your idea or anything just sayin some things that come to my mind. O0

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
KB :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3:

sure wish I could afford one :-\...........Im going to rob a bank :D :D

OP
OP
F

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I only have around 90000 on the clock. I have probally half the cost of the KB right now lol, but Im hopefully starting a new job here soon and Im saving my ass off like I always do, and selling stuff I dont need (old rims etc.) so hopefully I should have enough around Summer time? I dunno, hopefully if nothing breaks or anything I should be fine.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Fets said:
I only have around 90000 on the clock. I have probally half the cost of the KB right now lol, but Im hopefully starting a new job here soon and Im saving my ass off like I always do, and selling stuff I dont need (old rims etc.) so hopefully I should have enough around Summer time? I dunno, hopefully if nothing breaks or anything I should be fine.

So I'm assuming you've got $2500 now.....you've got about $2500 left just for the blower right? Then the tune, labor, misc. parts, etc. If you've got the money go for it. I honestly don't think I've seen a 96-98 2V w/ a twin screw. Just make sure you go through it the right way and not cut any corners (i.e. no tune, too much boost on stock bottom end).

Man it would be so sweet if you got it though! :noes:

OP
OP
F

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Closer to around 3kish. I am HOPEFULLY getting a call from some jobs I put apps in (Costcos, Comcast etc.) and Im gonna save all my paychecks besides money for insurance, for my car. Yes Im obsessed with my car, and I dont care! I've seen some new edge GTs with the KB, but never seen 96-98 with the KB.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Fets said:
Closer to around 3kish. I am HOPEFULLY getting a call from some jobs I put apps in (Costcos, Comcast etc.) and Im gonna save all my paychecks besides money for insurance, for my car. Yes Im obsessed with my car, and I dont care! I've seen some new edge GTs with the KB, but never seen 96-98 with the KB.

Good thing I'm not obsessed with my car. Oh that's right, I spend every minute of the day thinking about it......... :-[

cmher18

Reaction score
Dam dude Your going to put Blower cams ,KB blower Heads all on a STK BOTTOM end? Maybe just start with the blower. Call TIM at modular powerhouse

OP
OP
F

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea why not? lol actually, I think Im gonna buy a engine or block and start from there and drop it in instead of using the 2valver. I want a terminator motor, but I can't find one for cheap!

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Fets said:
Yea why not? lol actually, I think Im gonna buy a engine or block and start from there and drop it in instead of using the 2valver. I want a terminator motor, but I can't find one for cheap!

Good, fast, cheap

pick any two

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
Fets said:

So I'm assuming you've got $2500 now.....you've got about $2500 left just for the blower right? Then the tune, labor, misc. parts, etc. If you've got the money go for it. I honestly don't think I've seen a 96-98 2V w/ a twin screw. Just make sure you go through it the right way and not cut any corners (i.e. no tune, too much boost on stock bottom end).

Man it would be so sweet if you got it though! :noes:

GDAWG has a 9psi KB on his stock everything else 96-98
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=437

JTB97

Reaction score
I think the KB is a good idea. There a book called "Building 4.6/5.4L Ford Horsepower on the Dyno" that has a 1998 GT w/ 5 speed that had only a cat-back exhaust the car put down 190hp on the dyno and 266 ft-lbs or so w/ the KB it put down 349 HP and 388 ft-lbs. not bad at all. Its a pretty good book if you haven't seen it.

Gtnut1996

Reaction score
i have heard of alot of people having trouble getting long tubes for an automatic. i am a manual person so i am not to sure about the troubles with long tubes and automatics.

JTB i love that book. i reccomend it to anyone with a modular motor.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
i know for the new edges mac and flowtech make LTs for automatics, dunno if that will fit our cars...

if u have that much money right now, why dont u just buy a vortec S trim? technically as long as ur running at a low PSI u dont have to kill urself about getting a tune the next day after throwing on the KB...

what exactly is ur goal for ur car?
light to light - KB wins
highway and track - most would say centrifigual

yet it all depends... no matter what if ur sticking with your car ide say go PI, everything will help...
the 2.1L does not come with an intercooler or aftercooler as KB is teh GAYNESS with our cars lol...

once this is on and you have ur tune.. u said u have 4.10s right? get LTs, stall converter if ur staying with an automatic, get sub frame connectors(MM is the best pretty much, specailly with price), lowering springs(also new shocks struts later on), panhard bar to keep ur wheels on the ground, could get a rear strut bar, Cobra brake kit(dont worry about this right away).. ur gunna want new spark plugs and new wires(FRPP).. ide say u already have an intake.. so get a new MAF and TB....

right away ide just start on suspension to make sure my power was gettin to the ground and for better control of the car with that power... the rest will come along slowly..

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well said Shifty.

Definately do subs, and getting into suspension to help you hook up is definatley the next step.

I wonder about the traction with that torque in a Box KB, and 410's

You'll want good tires man :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online