What Tire? Drag Radial or Slick?

GDawg

Reaction score
So my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 suck at the track.

So does my H&R SuperSports....

I'm thinking of getting some Vogtland Springs for a comprimise and what tires before I buy a new set of wheels. I'm looking at a 10.5" rear wheel. Should I get some DRs? And if so which ones?

Or some slicks?
Cause I don't drive it daily but I do weekend cruises...

gt96stang

Reaction score
Keep the stockers for daily driving, and get some big and skinneys for the track... Great launch plus weight savings=faster times...Then work on building the rear once it blows :hammer: :hammer:
If you are looking for a set of springs that give a drop and help with weight transfer... 4cyl fox body front springs, then fox body gt rear springs...

OP
OP
G

GDawg

Reaction score
gt96stang said:
Keep the stockers for daily driving, and get some big and skinneys for the track... Great launch plus weight savings=faster times...Then work on building the rear once it blows :hammer: :hammer:
If you are looking for a set of springs that give a drop and help with weight transfer... 4cyl fox body front springs, then fox body gt rear springs...

Brand? And what's the drop over stock?

gt96stang

Reaction score
stock 4cyl springs...

here's stock ride hight on another gt
DSC00191.jpg

now here's the ride height with the 4cyl springs in the front
DSC00197.jpg

same red car, stock 4cyl springs front/stockers in the rear..
DSC00194.jpg

ryclef331

Reaction score
REMEMBER that a FULL BLOW SLICK is going to require you to run upgraded axles with c-clip elims, driveshaft loops, etc. etc....its all in the NHRA rule book.

Unless your track doesn't give a fuuuuuck, I'd suggest you go with a drag radial.

BUT A drag radial is a MUCH stiffer sidewall so it isn't going to handle the shock from a 5 speed launch as well as a bias ply tire (like an ET Street) will so that is something to consider as well. If you're not making over 300rwhp though, that can be a moot point really....you've really gotta hit them HARD to over shock'em.

Nacho

Reaction score
I had the same question not too long ago and opted for the et street BUT the drag radial hooks just as good but it takes a different launching technique due to what Ryclef mentioned.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been using BFG Drag radials for about 6 years or so, and LOVE them. I have had them on a variety of stangs and they do the job every time. They are not something I would put on my car if I only had ONE ride for transportation as they dont last very long ( about 3 to 5k miles ) but I have more than one ride so thats not a prob for me.
Anyway I would recommend them to anyone looking for a slight advantage on the street........they hook

OP
OP
G

GDawg

Reaction score
My first thing I'll think I'll change is my H&R SuperSports down to the Vogtland Springs for better weight transfer. And a bit higher stance than I have now.

Next I'm thinking buying some 10.5 rims for the rear and put some MT ET S/D radials on the rear.

I think I'm going to do the springs first to see what the weight transfer will do for my blower and then go from there.

Baby steps...

Then the new wheels and rubber.

then a new Cobra clutch... (just bought a new stock one so I should at least burn this one out.)

Gawd, I love the high from 1/4 mile...

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scootin95gts said:
does any company make a drag radial for 18" wheels?
hell yea, I have 315-35-18's on my Cobra, they are BFG DR's.........but I think Nitto makes some too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online