What tires?

bmcgc

Reaction score
I have a 94 GT convertible that I am putting 17x8 S197 wheels on.

1/2 in spacers on the front, 1 in spacers on the rear.

Because of my driveway I can not lower the car. I want to fill out the wheel wells but not have rubbing issues or have the tires kick sand and gravel on the body.

This is my misses DD so I want an all weather tire vs a performance tire.

What size tires? Should the rears be bigger? Im not going to rotate them. I will give up a few thousand miles before I go to all the trouble.

I just bought the car and the front tires are shot, so I need to replace them in the next few days.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 94 GT convertible that I am putting 17x8 S197 wheels on.

1/2 in spacers on the front, 1 in spacers on the rear.

Because of my driveway I can not lower the car. I want to fill out the wheel wells but not have rubbing issues or have the tires kick sand and gravel on the body.

This is my misses DD so I want an all weather tire vs a performance tire.

What size tires? Should the rears be bigger? Im not going to rotate them. I will give up a few thousand miles before I go to all the trouble.

I just bought the car and the front tires are shot, so I need to replace them in the next few days.

The stock tire size would be 245/45-17; this will give you a total tire/wheel height of 25.68 inches. If you want to fill the wheel well more without lowering the car, you'd have to go with a taller sidewall. So you could run 255/45-17, which will result in a total tire/wheel height of 26.04" which will be a bit taller than what you have (and a bit wider).

Now, assuming you can find a tire in this size, you could also go with a 245/50-17, which will be a total tire/wheel height of 26.65 inches. Or a 255/45-17, which is a total tire/wheel height of 27.04. The problem with these is that 1) you probably won't be able to find tires in those sizes as they are not very common and 2) they will totally screw up your speedometer as they are over 3% difference in size from the stock size.

My advice: don't do any of this. I'm not sure what your driveway looks like, but you can get a set of lowering springs that are quite "mild" - they'll give a drop of maybe 1". The problem with the taller tires is that they will be harder to find, and honestly probably look a little goofy. Unless you are sort of going for the big tire look like on a drag car - but then it will look goofy in the rear. I recommend running the stock sized tire - you'll find them for a good price which will help if you don't plan to rotate. You'll have a little bit of a 4x4 look but I'm not sure it's worse than it would like with taller sidewalls. My recommendation, if you are really concerned with the gap: get stock sized tires and then when time/budget allows, get a set of mild springs to remove some of the gap.

Edit: another reason: running a taller sidewall which increases the total tire/wheel height will ALSO lift your car more off the ground. So, in addition to a taller sidewall, you will be lifting the car off the ground more, adding to the goofiness IMO.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
My driveway is very steep. I cant lower the front end or it will drag, I would prefer it be slightly higher as I have to approach it at an angle as it is.

New Mustangs have a tire size of 235/55/17 at 27.2 in tall, about 1.5in taller than a 245/45/17.

The offset on the S197 wheels is about .6in deeper than the SN95 wheels.

I would prefer to not mess with spacers to correct offset, but I love the wheels that I have and want to use them if possible. If not, then I will pick a nice set off one of the vendors and go that route.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Taller tires on the SN95 is going to look like shit. Imo go with lowering springs and leave it in the street, or learn how to angle it just right to get into the driveway.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My driveway is very steep. I cant lower the front end or it will drag, I would prefer it be slightly higher as I have to approach it at an angle as it is.

New Mustangs have a tire size of 235/55/17 at 27.2 in tall, about 1.5in taller than a 245/45/17.

The offset on the S197 wheels is about .6in deeper than the SN95 wheels.

I would prefer to not mess with spacers to correct offset, but I love the wheels that I have and want to use them if possible. If not, then I will pick a nice set off one of the vendors and go that route.

You could go with the 235/55-17 as that will be taller. As far as the offset on the S197 wheels, when you say 0.6" deeper, do you mean the hub part is closer to the back of the wheel than it would be on a SN95? If so, then that will actually push the wheel out closer to the fender rather than more inside - in other words spacers won't really do anything for you (other than push the wheels even further out).

And if possible, I'd really try to figure out something else regarding that driveway of yours - the taller tires really will look not so good. If it's the wife's car, and neither of you care, then go for the 235/55's. Otherwise, I'd try really hard to see what other options there might be :(

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
S197 wheeels sit WAY in on SN95s. even with 1" spacers they won't be flush. I'd say don't use them but that's a whole other discussion.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
S197 wheeels sit WAY in on SN95s. even with 1" spacers they won't be flush. I'd say don't use them but that's a whole other discussion.

Oh, okay, so they have a higher offset number? The hub is closer to the outside of the wheel?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, okay, so they have a higher offset number? The hub is closer to the outside of the wheel?

Our stock wheels are around 20-25mm offset. S197 stock wheels are 45-50mm. They look horrible on our cars.

OP, now matter how steep you think your driveway is, you can get around it, even with lowering springs. Taller tires are a no go on these cars, specially on the front.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Our stock wheels are around 20-25mm offset. S197 stock wheels are 45-50mm. They look horrible on our cars.

Oh, dayum. I didn't realize it was that different. That's a huge tuck into the wheel wells... :(

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
My understanding is that my current 17in wheels have a 30mm offset and the 05+ 17in wheels have a 45mm offset.

A 1/2in spacer in the front and 1in spacer in the rear seems to be what most people who run these wheels are using.

I have looked at as many pics as I could find and some of them look great.

My driveway is what it is. It is very steep, on a busy road and near the crest of a hill. No time to pussy foot around trying to get in and out of it.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Idk man if it's that bad maybe putting huge tires on your Mustang and ruining the look isn't the answer. Maybe getting something like a truck or SUV that can handle such an incline would be the move right now.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
You guys arent being much help.

I fail to see how a 17in rim off a 05 Mustang will make my 94 Mustang sit any higher than the 17in 94 rims that are on it now.

I asked what tire size.

please reread post #1 and make a tire size recommendation if you have one.

I am not lowering the car and want to fill the wheel wells a little more if possible.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The rim isn't what affects the height. If you run a taller tire, the car will be higher. Already been suggestions on what size tires will get you a higher height. You will be hard pressed to find many all-season tire reviews on here because most of us care more about how the car looks and how the cars drives which at no point results in tall all-seasons. Tire Rack is your friend.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Here's the resolution: I spent $1100 yesterday.

Set of S197 wheels, lugs, locks, centercaps, they are the bright finish wheels that have 10 spokes in 5 sets of 2.
Kumho 245/45/17 tires mounted, balanced
KYB shocks and struts
Ford Motorsport C springs
3/8 in and 1 in spacers.

Some will not like the wheels I have chose. I like them, and I like to change the appearance every year or two anyway. Im selling my 65 on Friday and spending Saturday getting all installed if the spacers show up, otherwise next week.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the resolution: I spent $1100 yesterday.

Set of S197 wheels, lugs, locks, centercaps, they are the bright finish wheels that have 10 spokes in 5 sets of 2.
Kumho 245/45/17 tires mounted, balanced
KYB shocks and struts
Ford Motorsport C springs
3/8 in and 1 in spacers.

Some will not like the wheels I have chose. I like them, and I like to change the appearance every year or two anyway. Im selling my 65 on Friday and spending Saturday getting all installed if the spacers show up, otherwise next week.

Nice :thumbsup: And no one is giving you crap over the S197 wheels (not really anyway). Peeps be giving you crap about wanting to run a taller than stock tire. Which 245/45-17 is not. That's a stock tire. And you'll get a tad drop with the springs. It will be good. Much better than running a taller-than-stock tire.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
To fill the wheel well better, you get the same result with a 3/4 drop or a 1.5 taller tire.

I would have liked to go with a 255 tire, but I only found those in summer tires.

Im going to leave out the spring isolators, I left them out of my Fox and didn't see any difference in ride quality or noise. Not that a convertible is quiet anyway.

The rear spacers showed up today so those will go on tomorrow with the oem wheels, the fronts probably next week. I need to install the longer studs on the front anyway.

Monday Im getting an alignment, then tires on Tuesday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online