What to change on a stock SN95 Mustang***

GT3FC

Reaction score
I would have to say I love everything I have done to my car the suspension the nitrous the exhaust the gears the short shifter and everything else.....but the one thing I am happy most with cost me about $3 and that was to make a new gasket for the IAC to get rid of that damn hanging idle (if your experiencing that it is defiantly something that makes a world of difference)

Skargon

Reaction score
Interesting you say this. You wouldn't change anything? I kind of feel the same way. Please explain.

To me, I love my car dearly, but I wish I would have left it 100% Stock.
One day, It's going to be a classic. And I will regret lowering / engine mods, etc.
People might not say its gonna be a classic.. But if I see a fully restored Mustang II,
I enjoy it just as much as any other restored car that someone loves.

myk

Reaction score
I would have to say I love everything I have done to my car the suspension the nitrous the exhaust the gears the short shifter and everything else.....but the one thing I am happy most with cost me about $3 and that was to make a new gasket for the IAC to get rid of that damn hanging idle (if your experiencing that it is defiantly something that makes a world of difference)

My '98 has done that since I drove it home from the dealership. What's this gasket fix you speak of?

One day, It's going to be a classic. And I will regret lowering / engine mods, etc.
People might not say its gonna be a classic.. But if I see a fully restored Mustang II,

There is no guarantee that these cars will ever become more valuable than they are right now; I highly doubt it. You might as well enjoy your car the way you see fit. After all, as we get older there will always be more days behind us, than ahead of us...

RichV

Reaction score
Same thing was said about the Foxes as well. A nice one is hard to find, and they command a decent price for a nice one. Due to the fact they were beat to an inch of their lives on the street and track. Them being all over 20YO makes them somewhat desirable and somewhat 'classic'. You can still find cheap Foxes, but they're projects.

The SN will be the next to hit that status. Clean SNs are already hard to find for the same reasons as clean Foxes. Will they ever go for $50K like some classic 60s cars? Only time will tell, but probably not the plane jane variety, maybe Saleens and some of the off brand documented ones.

dino

Reaction score
Subframes
Gears
Shifter
Catback
Springs/shocks/struts
Cobra brakes
Cold air
Rear control arms
Tb/plenum (2v)

Rough order of list, depends on condition of car and plans. I like a quick (not necessarily fast) car that handles and stops without giving too much ride harshness.

Now, it'd be a little different if I was building a weekend warrior that I likely wouldn't daily and mostly drag race.

Skargon

Reaction score
I have modded my car, But looking back I wouldn't have. :p
10636377_10204540926818375_3416790067190907916_o.jpg

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
What I think it should've came with. Hmm..
1) Lowered
2) Stiffer ride
3) Good rear upper and lower control arms
4) 3.55, 3.73 Gears
5) Better stock shifter
6) Decent looking wheels
7) Around 300 crank hp would be nice to start with
8) Should've made the GT's have the 4.6 32V from the Mark VIII's starting in 94,
since those motors were out since 1993 already (Lincoln Mark VIII's). And leave the Cobras with the 351s.
9) Better seats
10) Better headlight design

What I've enjoyed most that I've done to it after buying it 100% stock.. Lowering it, 5 speed swap, gears, wheels and tires, lights, exhaust, mgw shifter, rear upper and lower control arms, s281 wing, tint, chin spoiler

torch318

Reaction score
Was it ever explained as to WHY the cars rode so high from the factory? My car had 3.25 inches of gap all around. It looked like I was driving a crossover or something...
I had heard it was to allow the use of tire chains.

GEORGEKLASS

Reaction score
The only thing different Ford should have done was have a lower ride height and optional 3.27 or 3.55 gears.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Was it ever explained as to WHY the cars rode so high from the factory? My car had 3.25 inches of gap all around. It looked like I was driving a crossover or something...

I had heard it was to allow the use of tire chains.

This and back then, the large wheel/low body wasn't really a thing yet for a factory car. These days, you can get cars from the factory with 20" wheels, and because it's popular, the cars tend to be lower. Back then, you were ballin' with 18's, most cars had 16", and the upgrade was 17". It just wasn't a thing at the time for the designers to deal with. And like said: tire chains.

Just my opinion, but these cars will never be classics. You might find the odd number of folks that will pay a lot of money for a clean, stock SN95. But not many. It will be a total niche. You might get lucky and find this person to drop a huge wad of cash on your lovingly maintained almost stock car, but most likely you will get people low-balling you. It's tough to say what will be desirable in the future.

Two examples:

1) 1987 Merkur XR4Ti - ever heard of it? Pretty dang rare. Most of you probably have never seen one in person, especially the younger crowd. My parents have one - mostly stock. Needs work. But certainly not beat on. According to NADA Classic average retail is $4,100 (high is $6,700). My dad's lucky if he can get $2 to $3K for it (most people low ball him around $2K). Maybe there's someone out there who will pay full price for it. 99.9% of the people though don't want to pay that much for a 27 year old car.

2) 1987 Shelby CSX - ever heard of it? I have one. It even has an official number with number plaque and all; I have #581 out of 750 made. Only 750 of this cars were made in 1987. I can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of you guys out there have never seen one of these in person. These cars are based on the Dodge Shadow - the great Carroll Shelby himself (Mustang folks might have heard of him) did a stint with Dodge in the late 80's early 90's just like he did with Ford earlier. This car is a product of that - he literally bought the cars off Dodge, took them his factory, and worked them over, then sold them as Shelby's. Mine is mostly stock (needs work like any 27 year old car would) because I figured: it's a Shelby, it will be worth something some day. NADA Classic average retail is $6,375 (high is $13,400). Look at those numbers. Who in the world is going to buy this from me for $6K? But it's a legit Shelby! There might be someone out there. If I decide to sell it one day, maybe I'll find that person, if I'm lucky. Hell, I'll completely restore it if I could get $13K for it.

My point is that it's fun to think our cars will one day be classics, but honestly, what's so special about a SN95 that in 15 years someone is going to say "you know, I have $25,000 to spend on a cool older car that you just don't see around anymore, I think I will get a SN95." It could happen. Honestly, I hope it does. However, I suspect that if this happens, the folks will want to buy a stock, unmolested car because they don't trust what someone else has done before them, but will not want to pay the elevated price for it. After all, there are other older, cool cars available. What will make the SN95 stand out? Lol, and maybe muscle cars will still be around, screwing it up for all the other cars.

Last example: My parents also have a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS. NADA Classic average is $15K (high is $21,700). If they were to sell it, I fully expect them to be able to sell it for $16K, as it sits right now. And that's because the muscle cars do not follow any set rules to the normal aging of cars; meaning the muscle car has a status and culture that is widely know and sought after. There are many, many more buyers for these cars, thus the demand is higher, the car will sell. The SN95 (and even the Merkur and Shelby CSX) do *not* have this status, and probably never will. Thus, hardly any buyers. There might be admirers, for sure, but not many actually willing to drop the coin.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, since I'd like my cars to go up in value over time. But I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, I'd rather enjoy them, and if that means mod, then so be it. There are better things to invest my money in than cars.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
everything pretty much. I dont like stock looking older mustangs that much (fox, sn95, new edge) blehhh..

Only one that looks good are 03-04 cobras and then those need to be lowered.

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
This and back then, the large wheel/low body wasn't really a thing yet for a factory car. These days, you can get cars from the factory with 20" wheels, and because it's popular, the cars tend to be lower. Back then, you were ballin' with 18's, most cars had 16", and the upgrade was 17". It just wasn't a thing at the time for the designers to deal with. And like said: tire chains.

Just my opinion, but these cars will never be classics. You might find the odd number of folks that will pay a lot of money for a clean, stock SN95. But not many. It will be a total niche. You might get lucky and find this person to drop a huge wad of cash on your lovingly maintained almost stock car, but most likely you will get people low-balling you. It's tough to say what will be desirable in the future.

Two examples:

1) 1987 Merkur XR4Ti - ever heard of it? Pretty dang rare. Most of you probably have never seen one in person, especially the younger crowd. My parents have one - mostly stock. Needs work. But certainly not beat on. According to NADA Classic average retail is $4,100 (high is $6,700). My dad's lucky if he can get $2 to $3K for it (most people low ball him around $2K). Maybe there's someone out there who will pay full price for it. 99.9% of the people though don't want to pay that much for a 27 year old car.

2) 1987 Shelby CSX - ever heard of it? I have one. It even has an official number with number plaque and all; I have #581 out of 750 made. Only 750 of this cars were made in 1987. I can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of you guys out there have never seen one of these in person. These cars are based on the Dodge Shadow - the great Carroll Shelby himself (Mustang folks might have heard of him) did a stint with Dodge in the late 80's early 90's just like he did with Ford earlier. This car is a product of that - he literally bought the cars off Dodge, took them his factory, and worked them over, then sold them as Shelby's. Mine is mostly stock (needs work like any 27 year old car would) because I figured: it's a Shelby, it will be worth something some day. NADA Classic average retail is $6,375 (high is $13,400). Look at those numbers. Who in the world is going to buy this from me for $6K? But it's a legit Shelby! There might be someone out there. If I decide to sell it one day, maybe I'll find that person, if I'm lucky. Hell, I'll completely restore it if I could get $13K for it.

My point is that it's fun to think our cars will one day be classics, but honestly, what's so special about a SN95 that in 15 years someone is going to say "you know, I have $25,000 to spend on a cool older car that you just don't see around anymore, I think I will get a SN95." It could happen. Honestly, I hope it does. However, I suspect that if this happens, the folks will want to buy a stock, unmolested car because they don't trust what someone else has done before them, but will not want to pay the elevated price for it. After all, there are other older, cool cars available. What will make the SN95 stand out? Lol, and maybe muscle cars will still be around, screwing it up for all the other cars.

Last example: My parents also have a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS. NADA Classic average is $15K (high is $21,700). If they were to sell it, I fully expect them to be able to sell it for $16K, as it sits right now. And that's because the muscle cars do not follow any set rules to the normal aging of cars; meaning the muscle car has a status and culture that is widely know and sought after. There are many, many more buyers for these cars, thus the demand is higher, the car will sell. The SN95 (and even the Merkur and Shelby CSX) do *not* have this status, and probably never will. Thus, hardly any buyers. There might be admirers, for sure, but not many actually willing to drop the coin.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, since I'd like my cars to go up in value over time. But I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, I'd rather enjoy them, and if that means mod, then so be it. There are better things to invest my money in than cars.

The dodge shadow is not a very good looking car in my opinion. No offense. I can appreciate a rare car but the reason why it's not worth anything is because 1980's Dodge.

It's all about nostalgia, the classic 50's, 60's Muscle cars are worth a lot because the generation of people that had those cars as young men want the joy of their youth again. And they have the money now. Muscle cars are cool and rare and a life style. The Mustang has been around for 50 years and is America's muscle car. The sn95 has a specific generation of people that have cherished memories and eventually people will want their youth back. Demand will go up and supply will go down. I always have somebody come up and chat with me about my car at the gas station. It's all stock but it's cool and people appreciate them more and more.

The average person doesn't care about that and puts their own customized twist on it. That's what the Mustang was made for. And that's the reason why eventually you won't see a stock clean mustang anymore and people will pay for it.

You make good points though and I appreciate your thoughts.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Kind of depends what your engine is set up for. More rpm range usually means lower gear (numerically higher like 4:10, 4:30)
Most do 3:73 or 4:10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser