What to change on a stock SN95 Mustang***

turion94

Reaction score
I want to hear your individual thoughts on what you would change on a stock SN95 Mustang.

What would be the first thing on your list to do and so on and so forth. There are a lot of unique things about the SN95. You can easily over do it and spend money in the wrong place. What are your thoughts? Let's start a topic on this...

**To clarify, the purpose is what you think the sn95 mustang needs stating at bare minimum and then your individual taste on what YOU would do to yours in hindsight. The limit of the mods is taste.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
everything.. stock suspension is junk.. brakes are junk.. driveline is weak.. 96-98 4.6L are anemic. Where I would start?
Depends... you can never go wrong with a set of gears, since most of our cars came with awful ratios. Might aswell upgrade to 31 spline while youre in there. Other wise you will be wasting your money again down the road to take it all apart and redone..

My answer in short:
-gears
-frpp 31 spline diff
-SR 31 spline axles

maybe $800 out the door (for new parts)

myk

Reaction score
I want to hear your individual thoughts on what you would change on a stock SN95 Mustang.

What would be the first thing on your list to do and so on and so forth. There are a lot of unique things about the SN95. You can easily over do it and spend money in the wrong place. What are your thoughts? Let's start a topic on this...

The first thing? Well the motor, of course. Nah I'm just kidding.

I bought my '98 GT off of the showroom floor, and after losing races to Nissan Maximas and barely outrunning Honda Civics, I quickly realized that this platform had some glaring deficiences. Over the years I came to believe that if Ford had followed my own "3, 3, 3" formula for the SN95 (300 horsepower, 300 ft/lbs of torque, 3 inches lower riding height), then I would have declared myself the owner of the PERFECT American performance machine. I certainly NEVER would have gone to the dark side where I spent the next 10 years playing with 4th generation F bodies.

Back to your original question of going in order, I would recommend the first thing you change is the suspension. Why in God's freaking name did Ford place 3.5 inches of gap between the tire and the fender? Not only is it ridiculously fugly but it makes the car handle like a truck. The stock shocks are OK, but again they're not up to the task of living up to the performance legacy of the Mustang. Now, suspension is what I consider to be a mandatory thing, as in if you buy an SN95 it doesn't officially belong to you until Ford's stupidity is fixed with the appropriate parts. In my car, just yesterday I installed Koni STR.T's and SR springs. The car looks and handles like it SHOULD HAVE from the factory back in 1998. Shame on ME for waiting 16 years to finally start fixing this car.

As for the next step, that's entirely up to you and your budget. If you have the money, I'd say to follow my "3-3-3" mandate, and start making your way to 300 horspower and/or 300 ft/lbs of torque. Me? I've still got my 4th Gen F bodies to care for, so money won't flow as quickly to my SN95 as it should. I did buy an S281 spoiler from American Muscle yesterday, because I never did like the factory spoiler much. I'm just glad my SN95 finally looks and handles the part; I just don't know when I can get to the 300 hp/300 ft.lbs parts of my formula...

lsmustangx

Reaction score
First thing I'd change is if it was a 94-97 would be the dash... that damn clock pisses me off... now if I had a 98-04 it would be a full coil over kit.

RichV

Reaction score
Chassis, all the suspension in the world won't do shit unless the chassis is tied together and made stiff.

The OP question is a loaded gun IMO, what is the limit of the mods? What is the purpose? At minimum the SN95 needs ... OR This is what I would do to mine ...

I guess if I could re-vamp the SN95 this is what would change:
-chassis stiffness
-6 speed in all models
-at least 3:55 gearing
-stiffer springs, performance shocks
-T/A and PHB standard
-Cobra brakes on all models
-over 300hp at the tires
-as close to 3000lbs as you can

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Cut stock springs, upgrade shocks/struts, X pipe, shifter, wheels, Cobra brakes, and a catback would be all I'd do if I did it all over again. That was the funnest stage of owning a Mustang for me. Now it's just too much hassle and stress to get the car out.

V8RUMBL

Reaction score
Wheels and lowering springs but im not a racer or performance nut.

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
The OP question is a loaded gun IMO, what is the limit of the mods? What is the purpose? At minimum the SN95 needs ... OR This is what I would do to mine ...

Good points... To clearify, the purpose is what you think the sn95 mustang needs stating at bare minimum and then your individual taste on what YOU would do to yours in hindsight. The limit of the mods is taste I guess.

So far you all have brought up some good valid points. I'll edit the OP to clarify

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Exhaust, ballin' rims, and a little less than 4" of fender gap from the factory would have been nice.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Since I bought mine new I can tell you what my first mods were.

1st was a switch to 3:73's
2nd was Kenny Brown Super Subs
3rd was a Borla Catback.

I did those within the first few months of ownership as money allowed.

I then went with shorty headers and cat mid pipe along with the 95R hood (I hate the stock GT/V6 hood).

LOTS more came after that.....

Mustanger

Reaction score
Don't forget good LCA's as a part of the suspension mods....I love my results! Wheel hop? What's that?

myk

Reaction score
Exhaust, ballin' rims, and a little less than 4" of fender gap from the factory would have been nice.

Was it ever explained as to WHY the cars rode so high from the factory? My car had 3.25 inches of gap all around. It looked like I was driving a crossover or something...

9838stang

Reaction score
Suspension (stiffer springs lower center of gravity, better handling shocks, and better control arms and long with bushings, and of course everything else to support a lowered car: cc plates, ball joints, sway bars, end links)

Gears to get it out of the whole better

Brakes

better flowing a sleeker looking exhaust.

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
If new? Coil overs, H/C/I, Exhaust, and Bigger brakes.

If used? Rebuild the motor and call it a classic. :p

Interesting you say this. You wouldn't change anything? I kind of feel the same way. Please explain.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had a bone stock SN95 and I could only do ONE thing to it, I would lower it. Even a lowered Mustang with stock wheels looks great IMO. Nothing worse than being able to remove you fender liners without jacking the car up...:tongue3:

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Ride height. Engine. Chassis. Exterior. LEDs. suspension. SEATS. transmission. stereo. gears.... basically I'd change the whole car lol. Only thing I do love is the cockpit interior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online