What to do...Trickflow or Vortech

Black95gt

Reaction score
Well im stuck at what to do, just wanted to see opinions. Personnally I'm thinking H/C/I. Right now my current mods are:
BBK Ceramic LT Headers
BBK O/R X-pipe
Bassani Catback
3.73 Gears
BBK CAI

I have the money to go either way, what do you think is best? I think that vortech would be a bad choice only because the stock heads and intake really limit the flow. Or would it be fine with stock parts. The car only has 42k so im not worried about the block.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
I did the Vortech first and wasn't disappointed. Then I did everything else after stuff broke. . . lol

Be worried about the block. Stock block with hypereutectics is a failure waiting to happen.

wytstang

Reaction score
I've seen stock long blocks put down 325+rwhp with a blower (94/95). Yo really can't go wrong either way imho, but I'm pretty sure the blower will make more power through the rpm range then doing a h/c/i combo.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
wytstang said:
I've seen stock long blocks put down 325+rwhp with a blower (94/95). Yo really can't go wrong either way imho, but I'm pretty sure the blower will make more power through the rpm range then doing a h/c/i combo.

Well . . SURE . . if you only want 325hp! ;)

BlownSN95

Reaction score
Well I did the vortech first. 6 days later stock head gaskets blew. Then did trickflow heads and felpros instead of putting the stock heads back on. 5 days later 0 psi on 2 cylinders. Still have to take it down to see what broke now. But with a higher mileage hyper piston motor I'm guessing cracked pistons. IMO even though the vortech gives more hp, I'd do the H/C/I if you only can do one right now. It should be alot safer than putting a blower on a stock hyper piston motor. JMO. :thumb:

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
BlownSN95 said:
Well I did the vortech first. 6 days later stock head gaskets blew. Then did trickflow heads and felpros instead of putting the stock heads back on. 5 days later 0 psi on 2 cylinders. Still have to take it down to see what broke now. But with a higher mileage hyper piston motor I'm guessing cracked pistons. IMO even though the vortech gives more hp, I'd do the H/C/I if you only can do one right now. It should be alot safer than putting a blower on a stock hyper piston motor. JMO. :thumb:

Yup . . .I blew a hole in the stock piston when I started running nitromethane in my water/methanol injection. GUess I should have tuned for it . . lol. In all fairness, I think the piston was ready to go, anyway.

But . . it was a good excuse to do a motor! ;)

BlownSN95

Reaction score
Yeah same here. I have around 127k on the odometer and it wasn't working when I got the car. :rollinglaugh: Oh well time for a rebuld with forged parts. I'm torn between saving up for a dart block stroker, or just doing a 306 with the stock block. I don't want to be a member of the block splitter club. :hammer:

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
I'm running a 306 right now with all forged internals and a girdle (for what that's worth . . lol). So far, so good . . . but I'm nervous. If I hadn't have been in a time crunch when I blew my last motor, I would have gone with a Dart or a World block.

It all depends on how fast you wanna go. If you want to run an S-Trim with stock pulleys on a conservative tune, the stock block and pistons will be fine. The problem comes in the addictive qualities of boost. You just want MORE!!!!! lol

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Yea, I thought the gears were going to be it, now I'm looking for a good H/C/I combo.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
I say go with the blower, but as mentioned earlier, go with a conservative tune. And when it comes time to get a new motor, you can get the 306 or 331 stroker with all the forged internals.

OP
OP
B

Black95gt

Reaction score
Yea Ive looked a little into the CHP and DSS 331 Blocks +p

OP
OP
B

Black95gt

Reaction score
Yea i do, i see you go up the street all the time....since they salted the roadz, ill be driving the V6 for awhile now :lame:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Yea, I hadn't seen your stangs there when I was home a while ago. Did you put the exhaust on? Also are you going to island anytime this summer, I want to go there sometime when school ends, wondering if you wanted to head up there the same day.

OP
OP
B

Black95gt

Reaction score
I had a friend do the longtubes, but i did the rest. My GT was parked in storage from November till late March, just took her back out. I plan on going to island this summer, went last friday but didnt run. I normally cruise up with my friends like 3-4 stangs and a Camaro SS, so let me know when your in town. Im hoping to have H/C/I done by this summer.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Thats why I didn't see yours out, I had mine in storage for about the same time as well. Is that the white z28 on our street? The only thing I don't like is that you have to have a helmet no matter what you run. Up here its 14 and slower no helmet needed. I'll definetly send you a pm to let you know when I'm coming down.

OP
OP
B

Black95gt

Reaction score
yea let me know, My friend has the 01 White SS on 4th street, but he moved to Panther Valley now

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I think i've seen him around. I used to work at the golf course there, some really sick cars, but then again membership to the course was around $25,000 a year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010