What to do?

II 98 GT II

Reaction score
I've been planning on getting a Stage II ported PI swap package from Steen Racing Stage II ported PI swap package
with stage II n/a cams from VT for awhile now. However, now what I'm wondering is if this is what makes the most sense when hp/dollar is considered.

Basically what I'm asking you guys is...
1) How much power can my stock internals SAFELY and reliably take?
2) What is the most efficient way for me to hit that amount of hp? Stick with my original plan? Supercharger? A little bit of nitrous?

Just lookin' for some ideas... I've got a 98 GT in case you didn't look at my name.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
You have the stock pistons and such I assume, so it does have its limits. As far as running n/a I think you are fine with the stage 2 parts, but if you are going to add forced induction you are probally going to need a built shortblock to cope. I dont know what hp level your looking for but I can tell you not to be expecting more than 350 or so flywheel hp out of a 2 valve. Even if yuu spend BIG MONEY you still wont be as well of as what you would be with a blower or nos.

OP
OP
I

II 98 GT II

Reaction score
Anything over 300 would satisfy me. 350 would be amazing, I wouldn't want to go much more than that though.

It seems like I could get 300 or 325 with the ported PI swap, cams, and a 50 or 75 shot.

I'm just wondering if it makes more sense for me to just forget about all that stuff above and just buy a centrifugal supercharger kit from somewhere.

S

scarface

you can get more than 350 out of a Non-pi 2v with a blower on stock internals. My HP is a base tune @ 8 psi. I should hit 400 easily with the 10 psi I am running now, and with Meth. injection.

I think it is all in what you want. You can get the power you want out of the PI swap, or if you want more put a blower n it afterwards :)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Reliable limit is the low 400's
good tune being key - on any combo.

The most efficient way would be the straight PI swap, and a centrifical blower.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
II 98 GT II said:
I've been planning on getting a Stage II ported PI swap package from Steen Racing Stage II ported PI swap package
with stage II n/a cams from VT for awhile now. However, now what I'm wondering is if this is what makes the most sense when hp/dollar is considered.

2) What is the most efficient way for me to hit that amount of hp? Stick with my original plan? Supercharger? A little bit of nitrous?

Just lookin' for some ideas... I've got a 98 GT in case you didn't look at my name.

That stage 2 kit with free flowing exhaust, TB/plenum and a good tune will get you over 300rwhp and make your car feel like a rocket compared to now. You can easily add a 100 shot of nitrous on top of that.
NA street cruising at 300rwhp will be nice and a 100 shot blast at the track will get you really going.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
II 98 GT II said:

That stage 2 kit with free flowing exhaust, TB/plenum and a good tune will get you over 300rwhp and make your car feel like a rocket compared to now. You can easily add a 100 shot of nitrous on top of that.
NA street cruising at 300rwhp will be nice and a 100 shot blast at the track will get you really going.

that's true - that's another avenue.

What's the price for the porting ect, exhaust and the NOS kit, vs. the cost of a Vortec??
you'll be doing the PI's either way
I'd check there next. :)

S

scarface

You cant beat Steens work. I have seen Jason's shop, equipment, and porting jobs first hand. When I do the PI swap, I will def. be getting my heads from Steen.

THe Pic of my car on the dyno in my sig is @ Steen Racing

OP
OP
I

II 98 GT II

Reaction score
Good to know. I've heard only good things about Steen Racing.

Well I'm gettin' pretty excited about this... I'll be puttin' the mustang away in a month or so, then the work will start :dancing6:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
You cant beat Steens work. I have seen Jason's shop, equipment, and porting jobs first hand. When I do the PI swap, I will def. be getting my heads from Steen.

THe Pic of my car on the dyno in my sig is @ Steen Racing
Steen will be building my engine for me hopefully soon...i just need a few small parts and everything will be a go.

97gtconv.

Reaction score
ported heads with bigger valves, some stage 2's, free flowing exhaust, with the 10.5 compression just wants nitrous!!

OP
OP
I

II 98 GT II

Reaction score
Yea I was wondering whether or not the increased compression was going to affect my ability to run nitrous. I'm not that familiar with the juice yet... but I've got some time to learn about it. Probly won't be putting it in til spring time.

OP
OP
I

II 98 GT II

Reaction score
Of all you guys who did the pi swap, how many of you pulled the engine to do it?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
II 98 GT II said:
Of all you guys who did the pi swap, how many of you pulled the engine to do it?

you dont have to pull the engine, but it would make everything a lot easier than leaning over the fenders

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
II 98 GT II said:
Did mine in the car.

Ender

Reaction score
I did my headswap in the car. If you can pull the engine, the job will be much quicker and easier on your back, but it's doable in car if you have to.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did both of mine in the car...next one will be done with new engine on stand so i can get the degree of the cams perfect.

jpajkos

Reaction score
Pulled my motor to do my P.I. Swap also. I got a discount on the labor cuz I helped out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online