What transmission?!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
What’s your goals and purpose of the car? Straight track car? Street car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
What’s your goals and purpose of the car? Straight track car? Street car?

Originally it was a street car just to cruise and have fun mess around and if I wanted to go to the track not really a track only car but I've debated it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
If it’s going to be boosted I’m a huge auto fan. Technology today is awesome and whether you went full mvb or auto vb and got a stand alone quick 4 you can really control the trans how you want. It really comes down to personal preference. As you probably know, a properly setup 4R can get very pricey though when you factor in a triple disc converter, upgrading the internals, flexplate, etc.

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
If it’s going to be boosted I’m a huge auto fan. Technology today is awesome and whether you went full mvb or auto vb and got a stand alone quick 4 you can really control the trans how you want. It really comes down to personal preference. As you probably know, a properly setup 4R can get very pricey though when you factor in a triple disc converter, upgrading the internals, flexplate, etc.

as of right now for a while it will be NA u what motor swap do you think I should do? I really don't want to get a new tranny but I guess I don't really have a choice unless I make it a track car and put a push rod in

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
And yeah I dont mind spending money and taking time I'm not rushing it but idk I don't want all the trans controlers and built trans just yet. I'm not going be making more then 5 at the crank I'll be in the mid 4s probably ... Do you think there's adapter plates out there?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Honestly man, you can get a used 4r70 or 4r75 pretty cheap. Get one from a newer crown vic and put the manual valve body in it. The 4r75 will hold decent power in stock form.

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Honestly man, you can get a used 4r70 or 4r75 pretty cheap. Get one from a newer crown vic and put the manual valve body in it. The 4r75 will hold decent power in stock form.
If I did that and out a manual valve body in would I have to worry about any of the electronics that are not plugged in messing anything up not letting the motor run right? Will it affect anything ?

If say I did a 4.6 swap and full harness and ecu?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If I did that and out a manual valve body in would I have to worry about any of the electronics that are not plugged in messing anything up not letting the motor run right? Will it affect anything ?

If say I did a 4.6 swap and full harness and ecu?

Get an ecu from a manual car or have a tuner turn off automatic functions in the programming and it wont care what the transmission does.

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Do you guys know of the k member needs to be swapped for a 4.6? I'm assuming so but wasn't sure.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You will need a new k member of doing the 4.6 swap. Look at team z or maximum Motorsport.

If we can convince you to stick with doing the 331 then you can use your factory k or if you want an upgrade and doing the 331 I got a brand new team z for sale for ya!!! :)

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
You will need a new k member of doing the 4.6 swap. Look at team z or maximum Motorsport.

If we can convince you to stick with doing the 331 then you can use your factory k or if you want an upgrade and doing the 331 I got a brand new team z for sale for ya!!! :)

Lol trust me I rather build a 331 but I live on long island and we haven't had a track since the 90's we are trying to get one but for the next couple of years I'd be forced to drive to trailer my car to Jersey just to race it. So I rather stick to street legal. For now then if li gets a track. I'll build a motor and make it a track car

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score

Alright I'm alittte confused, looking at maximum motorsports. The k member for a 4.6 is the same for a 3.8 so why do I need to change the stock one? I know that if I were to out the 5.0 in I'd have to change the k member but Im not sure about the 4.6 and the more I read it seems like a common issue that people are unsure of
fdf2ec3ecc42762f01104bdaa4a3b1e5.jpg

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
V6 uses same motor mountpoints as the pushrods. Maybe something changed in later years but to the best of my knowledge it has always been that way in sn95’s

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
I'm going to email. Maximum motorsports cause I am confused on why the 3.8 is listed under it.

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
V6 uses same motor mountpoints as the pushrods. Maybe something changed in later years but to the best of my knowledge it has always been that way in sn95’s

Okay I figured it all out. The k-members are the same from 01-04 for v6 and Gt but the motor mounts are different but I mount the 4.6 in the 3.8 k-member just useing different mounts.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Makes sense. 94-98 the k’s are completely different for the 4.6. V6 & 5.0 used the same.

I guess they figured later on that it’s easier to just have changeable mounts.

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Makes sense. 94-98 the k’s are completely different for the 4.6. V6 & 5.0 used the same.

I guess they figured later on that it’s easier to just have changeable mounts.

Yeah I would probably assume the same

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Make sure to take pictures and keep us updated. Im really curious to see how it turns out.

And make sure to document the whole project, not just the transmission.
Well not done but I've finally had a min to draw up a base model now I need to just modfy it a bit
b2e98b3ec3ecdd22eef2c099b700bf65.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You know there are other auto tranny options throught bellhousing adapters. A friend built a 1000hp F150 snd used a turbo400...iirc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online