What tuner should i get?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Ballistic, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic Active Member

I have been thinking about buying a tuner for the stang and not sure what one to get, i have a diablo sport trinity in my F150 but diablo doesnt seem to make a nice one for my year (1997) but they make the nice ones for 1998 shocker..

Anyway what tuners are you all using and recommend? I was looking at SCT X4 seems about perfect and can get it for about 300 bucks on amazon..

Also can tuners adjust my speedo? Gears are getting installed in the next week or two. That was one of the main reasons i got a tuner for my F150 wanted the speedo correct with 37" tires :)

Thanks!

2. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I have heard good things about the SCT x4. Also seems like more people tune using SCT software than Diablosport. I think that would be a good move. As for the gears, the sad truth is that a handheld will not do anything for your speedometer. You will need a speedcal. I have that one in my 98 and it works great.

3. Ballistic

Ballistic Active Member

Good to hear that about the SCT x4, about the speedo part i dont know shit about this stuff but i have seen the Ford Speedo Gear - 20 Tooth (83-98 Automatic) would that work? Lot cheaper than the box or is the speedo gear alot more work to install vs the box?

4. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I don't think the gear is any harder to install. I don't have any first hand experience with the aftermarket gears but I heard all of them are weak and tend to wear out rather quick. I also did the speedcal because I like to change my mind and I didn't want to have to get a new gear once I changed gears again. You can get a speedcal rather cheap on ebay. and its as simple 3 or 4 wires you splice into the transmission harness under the hoos and dial in the speedo with 3 dials inside the box.

5. Barner1

Barner1 Active Member

I got my '98 tuned bu Dynospeed Racing in Memphis, TN. They used SCT. Great results!

6. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

Get a used one man just make sure that the tune was removed from the previous car. I ordered a x4 but I returned it as I found a used predator for 1/4 the cost. You can adjust all kinds of things but with the money you save you can have it professionaly tuned.

edit: they all should adjust for your gear ratio

7. rz5.0

rz5.0 Legend

The gear is cheaper than the speed cal. . I can't remember exactly but I think 3.73 is the highest you can do a gear for on a t45..

8. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

I have the x4 and like it

... wms is doing a special for x4 and life time custom email tunes for 400 (plugs and fuel filter too) ...its not like bama tunes JJ knows his shit. It expires the 31st though.

9. Ballistic

Ballistic Active Member

Good to see the x4 is liked on here, i sent SCT a email just to double check about the speedo part and see if they have a list of the tunes it comes with.

I remember on my truck one when i was selecting a tune it had a big list of tunes like ones for each grade of gas and then one i remember was for K&N CAI

I buy like 90% of my stuff on amazon because i get gift cards at 85% so saves me money then i get like 6% cash back so it adds up on big orders..

Probably would be a good idea to ether find someone to make me a few tunes, but ill get into that once i buy the tuner.

10. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

I like SCT because there are a lot of good tuners in my area that use that.

As far as gear adjustment, that is a no go for pre 99.

Try a speedo gear, I had good luck with one and 3.73's for over 10 years. I switched to a SpeedCal eventually.

11. Ballistic

Ballistic Active Member

Anyone know any good online tuners? I have heard some people will log with there tuner for a while and then send logs to a person and tell them what you have done to your car and they write a tune for you.

Just have a Auto Tranny, K&N CAI, BBK Off-Road H-Pipe and Flow Master 44s, and by the time im ready for a tune 4.10 gears..

12. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

If you get a SCT Id go with a Lund tune for sure

13. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I was happy with my SCT. Switched to Diablo since that's what my tuner uses, since diablo doesn't support our cars I'm using a chip.

For the actual tune, GO LOCAL!
    There are some people online that can a do good job, but its so much better in person. A tuner can tell a lot about the car in person. You can also meet face to face with the person, so you can judge the person doing something pretty serious to your car... Also it gets done right there and then. Don't have to screw around with a person over the phone or online. That was the worst part about my experience with doing a remote tune is actually getting the person to do their job... Also SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS.

Find a good local tuner, use the device they recommend.

14. Ballistic

Ballistic Active Member

I guess i should start looking for one around town, cant think of anyone in my city that even does tuning, would probably have to drive to the next bigger city..

Whats an avrage rate for a custom tune at a shop?

15. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

Wms woodbine motorsports email tuning is great....

For dyno tuning ~400 for a couple pulls and tune editing. That's after you buy the device

16. Orange 94

I drove 2 hrs for my tune, mine was very pricey... but I've known him for awhile and trust him. Probably one of the best ford tuners in the country.

17. Ballistic

Ballistic Active Member

I don't really want to spend a lot on a tune until i add some forced air mods and/or build the engine..

Hopefully the SCT has a tune that will work well enough..

18. Orange 94

For your mods it will probably be okay.

I would still recommend local, but if its nothing intensive a remote will get the job done.

19. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

I have a remote tune on my heads and cams 2v from Willie at DirtyDirtyRacing. It runs great and I only paid $99 for my tune with lifetime support and he was a pleasure to deal with. Was very quick and did great with the thousand questions I had for him. He is on here too but I cant remember his screen name.

20. JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz Well-Known Member

Where did you go DropTop? I heard wicked motorsports is pretty good.