What tuning is needed for a PI engine swap?

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Exactly what the title states. If nothing falls through, I'll be picking up a '05 Lincoln town car engine with 64k miles on it. Once its in the car, how can I get it tuned correctly? I would rather not pay for a dyno tune, so can a handheld do whats needed?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Put it in and let it run lol. Itll run alright without a tune, its not a whole lot of difference. You would be able to get away with an email tune.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION] lol I know nothing about tuning. I never thought I would need a tune until I was reading [MENTION=16230]98snakehorse[/MENTION] 's build thread and he was talking about how he needed a hand held cause he was still on his NPI tune. And can you elaborate more on email tune?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yup, get a handheld and there are a few companies on line that offer an email tune. You tell them what all is done to the car, they make adjustments, email the file back to you and you load it in the car. I don't know them right off the bat. I think dirty dirty racing was one? I know bama offers tunes but they aren't all that great. Do you have a handheld already?

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION] No I don't. That was one reason I was asking. There are a few used ones on the Mod-motor mustangs classifieds FB page for relatively cheap, and was wondering if I should pick one of those up?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
lwarrior1016 No I don't. That was one reason I was asking. There are a few used ones on the Mod-motor mustangs classifieds FB page for relatively cheap, and was wondering if I should pick one of those up?

I would look at who is doing the tuning before getting the handheld. I think Willy at dirty dirty racing uses SCT tuners and he seems to have a really good reputation. You may want to give them a call and see what he says about. Ill attach a link of the site I found.

http://dirtydirtyracing.com/zc/

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Your car will still run like factory with your NPI tune on the PI engine, there isnt too many differences between the two. However to get the most out of the swap it is wise to get a tune to compliment it. I would highly recommend getting an sct as that is what the majority of tuners deal with. For me I am going to give steeda a try. They offer tunes for life just like American Muscle but in my opinion I would trust Steeda far before I do AM. Just my 2c!

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Your car will still run like factory with your NPI tune on the PI engine, there isnt too many differences between the two. However to get the most out of the swap it is wise to get a tune to compliment it. I would highly recommend getting an sct as that is what the majority of tuners deal with. For me I am going to give steeda a try. They offer tunes for life just like American Muscle but in my opinion I would trust Steeda far before I do AM. Just my 2c!

Yeah I agree with getting SCT. And I wonder if you have to have the newest tuner or if you can use one of the older ones like the X2 or X3 or one of the older livewires?

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Yes, I believe so you will just need to be sure that the tuner is unmarried if you get it used. Honestly the new Sct X4 is pretty neat. Has quite a few more capabilities than previous models.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The tune is a definite, but not needed right away. You can get by driving after the swap, but the tune will make it all work ight!

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Yes, I believe so you will just need to be sure that the tuner is unmarried if you get it used. Honestly the new Sct X4 is pretty neat. Has quite a few more capabilities than previous models.
I have the sct x4 it's cool. Built in Wifi helps to update it. Lots of features and easy install on pc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online