what will it take for a 94 cobra to smoke lt1s??

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94pacecar435 said:
the ls1 cant lose huh ::) well , im 100% positive that snakebite will give lots of ls1s a hurting. and since this thread beggined, back when i was mostly stock, i seriously doubt i cant give a few ls1s a hurting. check my mods, i think i can take on an lt1 dont ya?????

LT1 / LS1 and then some 8)

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
97vertstang said:
i personally was inside a stock 2000 camaro ss, when a 03-04 mach1 with just a cai, and full exhaust smoked us.the camaro never hooked , but my friend took it to 100mph and still couldnt catch up. so i also know snakebit will SMOKE ls1s. also 94 cobras are a lot different than a 94 gt.a 94 cobra puts down 230rwhp stock.all it needs is gears, cai , underdrives, and a good driver to take on an lt1.
Your telling me a 240hp cobra puts down 230 to the wheels? My reaction to that is hysterical laughter. And that mach1 had to have more then a cai and full exhaust to "smoke" a ss ls1 camaro. You guys act like im the crazy one when I have seen all these cars in action, I've seen a stock mach 1 race a stock ls1, I've seen gt's and cobra's vs z28s. I am being realistic here. ls1's put out about 320hp and about 340lb tq and in a camaro weighed about 3400. A stock mach 1 made about 305hp and 320lb tq and weighed in at about 3469. So the mach 1 might of been able to beat the camaro with a better driver, but smoke him? Thats just out of the question.

jpajkos

Reaction score
I take lt1's all day long. HP aint nothing if you don't know how to drive and get that rear end to hook up period. Yah mustangs might be under rated compaired to the LS1 but let me tune my car and dear god if I hook up i'll give an 1s1 a hell of a run. :naughty:

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
jpajkos said:
I take lt1's all day long. HP aint nothing if you don't know how to drive and get that rear end to hook up period. Yah mustangs might be under rated compaired to the LS1 but let me tune my car and dear god if I hook up i'll give an 1s1 a hell of a run. :naughty:
And with the power your putting out you should!

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
everyone please tell him what a 94 cobra puts to the ground. ford underrated the 94 cobra,03-04 mach 1 and 03-04 cobra.a 94 cobra puts 220-230 rwhp and more like 260-270 fwhp.a 03-04 mach 1 actually makes more like 325fwhp.i know this doesnt apply but an 03-04 cobra makes more like 425hp and 360 rwhp. when my friend lost to the mach i was surprised too, i didnt know anything about them other than supposedly they only had 305hp.boy can those cars pull. my friend raced him like 5 times and the closest one was him getting beat by 1 car.believe me if he would have had slicks it probably would have been a better race.but what astounded me was when he got traction, we still couldnt catch the mach.all the way 100mph and nothing. ill give u this camaros make more torque.but what good does it give u when u cant put it to the ground???? and i also like camaros, nothing wrong with them i think their torque beasts, i just want to state the facts about our mustangs.a lot of people dont know that ford underrated some of this cars.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
The only way to really find out if it is underated is to put it on the dyno which has been done many times and the power is always more than the cobra was rated from ford. Factory hp/tq specs are not always spot on for various reasons. Ya the camaros have more torque than the 302's and 4.6's. Drop a 351w in the stang and they have some torque too. :naughty: Torque is nice.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
97vertstang said:
i personally was inside a stock 2000 camaro ss, when a 03-04 mach1 with just a cai, and full exhaust smoked us.the camaro never hooked , but my friend took it to 100mph and still couldnt catch up. so i also know snakebit will SMOKE ls1s. also 94 cobras are a lot different than a 94 gt.a 94 cobra puts down 230rwhp stock.all it needs is gears, cai , underdrives, and a good driver to take on an lt1.
Your telling me a 240hp cobra puts down 230 to the wheels? My reaction to that is hysterical laughter. And that mach1 had to have more then a cai and full exhaust to "smoke" a ss ls1 camaro. You guys act like im the crazy one when I have seen all these cars in action, I've seen a stock mach 1 race a stock ls1, I've seen gt's and cobra's vs z28s. I am being realistic here. ls1's put out about 320hp and about 340lb tq and in a camaro weighed about 3400. A stock mach 1 made about 305hp and 320lb tq and weighed in at about 3469. So the mach 1 might of been able to beat the camaro with a better driver, but smoke him? Thats just out of the question.

Good points you have there, im just putting my 2c in.........I've seen a few dyno sheets on the NEWER Mach 1's and most of them dyno pretty high for what Ford rated them at FWHP, it isnt uncommon for them to make 280RWHP stock and that would be quite a bit more than a 305 Crank HP rateing. That would be more in the way of 330 at the motor, with this being the case and the Mach in question having Full exhaust and a Cold-air kit I could see it makeing OVER 330 at the TIRES. Useing the word "SMOKE" a LS1 may be a bit over board, but I can see it haveing a hands down victory over such competition without question. :)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
everyone please tell him what a 94 cobra puts to the ground. ford underrated the 94 cobra,03-04 mach 1 and 03-04 cobra.a 94 cobra puts 220-230 rwhp and more like 260-270 fwhp.a 03-04 mach 1 actually makes more like 325fwhp.i know this doesnt apply but an 03-04 cobra makes more like 425hp and 360 rwhp. when my friend lost to the mach i was surprised too, i didnt know anything about them other than supposedly they only had 305hp.boy can those cars pull. my friend raced him like 5 times and the closest one was him getting beat by 1 car.believe me if he would have had slicks it probably would have been a better race.but what astounded me was when he got traction, we still couldnt catch the mach.all the way 100mph and nothing. ill give u this camaros make more torque.but what good does it give u when u cant put it to the ground???? and i also like camaros, nothing wrong with them i think their torque beasts, i just want to state the facts about our mustangs.a lot of people dont know that ford underrated some of this cars.

I can testify about the Mach / 03-04 Cobra makeing more power than advertised, but Im not aware of the 94 Cobra doing it. I am not, I repeat " I AM NOT SAYING IT DOES NOT" Im just saying I have not seen it, of course I havent looked for it to be honest since I've been in modulars for a LONG time. It could very well be they were under rated just like the others you have listed. If you do the math it would seem like they were under rated any way.........they have the Cobra intake, a diffrent cam than a regular GT 5.0, I think they came with a larger TB, and they had the GT-40 Iron heads on them ( possible other stuff im not aware of also ) so saying they make 220 or 230 RWHP...........I could see that :dunno:

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
a 94 cobra came with gt 40 heads, cobra intake,1.72 crane roller rockers, bigger tb, bigger maf, 24lb injectors,a different cam(dont know the specs, never being able to find em),underdriven pulleys(not much),and a different tune.so all of this is only worth 25 more hp???? ;D many things dont make sense but does how ford does it ;D another that in paper doesnt make sense, a 87-93 lx coupe run mid 14s.a couple mods away from lt1 territory.i knew this guy who used to have a lx coupe, the engine was all stock, nothing at all, he changed the gearing,slicks, lcas,drag springs athe whole suspension works.he dumped the clutch at 5,500 rpm :eek: he runned a 12.9 :noes: on a stock engine.he sold it cause he said it was too easy to go fast on a 5.0. hes building a 65 turbocharged buick now.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
a 94 cobra came with gt 40 heads, cobra intake,1.72 crane roller rockers, bigger tb, bigger maf, 24lb injectors,a different cam(dont know the specs, never being able to find em),underdriven pulleys(not much),and a different tune.so all of this is only worth 25 more hp???? ;D many things dont make sense but does how ford does it ;D another that in paper doesnt make sense, a 87-93 lx coupe run mid 14s.a couple mods away from lt1 territory.i knew this guy who used to have a lx coupe, the engine was all stock, nothing at all, he changed the gearing,slicks, lcas,drag springs athe whole suspension works.he dumped the clutch at 5,500 rpm :eek: he runned a 12.9 :noes: on a stock engine.he sold it cause he said it was too easy to go fast on a 5.0. hes building a 65 turbocharged buick now.

ahhh yea forgot about the rockers mass air and injectors :comando:

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
97vertstang said:

its all good , snakebit, i know u know ur shit. shit !! I dont think most of us have experimented with as many stangs as u have, u know ur 5.0s, sohc , and dohc!!!

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
really ??????i was pretty sure they were 1.72????? anyone else have any clue???

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Spyder said:
the 94-95 cobras rocker arms are 1.6 i believe.

no im pretty sure they are the 1.7's but I COULD be wrong, the injectors and mass-air Im SURE OF.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
Snakebit said:
97vertstang said:

its all good , snakebit, i know u know ur shit. shit !! I dont think most of us have experimented with as many stangs as u have, u know ur 5.0s, sohc , and dohc!!!

I have been a very lucky guy, I was living at home with my parents ( working in the family business) and making 45k a year so I went thru stangs like toilet paper, every one I had was pretty extensively modded. With all those mods came a pretty good amount of experience and knowledge, from watching and paying attention when they were in the speed shop.

Spyder

Reaction score
yeah the injectors and maf im positive on as well, but im also pretty positive they are 1.6's, that least the few that i have cracked the valve covers on were

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Spyder said:
yeah the injectors and maf im positive on as well, but im also pretty positive they are 1.6's, that least the few that i have cracked the valve covers on were

well hey if you have done it then I'll take your word for it :) It has been SOOOOOO long since I have seen one ( 8 years to be exact ) I guess I was mistaken and it is 1.6's...............well hell I'm retarded :D

94twinscrew

Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
However you might have that motor in your car and I wouldn't doubt you saying that your car could beat an lt1. An ls1 i'd say it's kind of iffy. However the point of my post is, its going to take more then bolt on mods and 373's on his 94 cobra to even keep up with a lt1. That was my point.
I can think of a few bolt-ons to put on a 94 cobra(or gt for that matter),that would put any stock,or slightly modded ls1 in check.....heads,cam,....and blower baby;D

Those cars are quick out of the box,and they should be considering their price,weight,and displacement.....You're also talking about comparing two different levels of engine platforms.......a $4,000 motor *ford*,v.s a $8,500 motor*lt1*.....if ford put the same amount of money into a 351" platform,with a good h/c/i.......then there would be more GM guys trading there keys in for a mustang.

Back in the day,I use to be a gm guy(GN),but that was when you could run low 12's all day long with a little 3.8 turb buick,that had less than $300 in mods,and was a tank. The only thing that really matters,is that in the end,atleast we are still driving domestics.lol

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
really ??????i was pretty sure they were 1.72????? anyone else have any clue???

I was over on SVT performance and the 94-95 cobras DID come with the 1.7's they were Pedstal mount also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online