What would I need in order to hang with a stock/minor bolt on new edge GT

GRECS121

Reaction score
Hey guys just want to know what types of mods will help me match or maybe even beat a new edge GT. A bunch of buddies at work have them and they r mostly stock except for catbacks and cold air intakes. So far all my car has is Ford racing headers, a Catted h pipe and a bassani catback. I know I could use a cold air intake and some gears but what else could I do to increase horsepower that isnt to hard on the bank.(working part time right now because of school).

Thanks

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is your car automatic or stick? You have full exhaust so your about 20rwhp over stock.........with gears, and some induction parts you should be OK.

Like that coldair kit, a mass air meter and some pulleys too.

r_suh

Reaction score
u could free up some weight by removing the spare tire and anything thats in ur trunk... if u wanna take it furthur starting unbolting ur rear seats and take those out as well.

OP
OP
G

GRECS121

Reaction score
The car is manual. I know people talk about bumping the timing and how that can give you some free horses. Should I go ahead and change that and run premium all the time?

I also plan on getting UDPs and a CAI with my next paycheck.

Thanks again

r_suh

Reaction score
gears will give u the most noticable difference than ur udp and cai. after i got mine installed my car felt much more alive.

OP
OP
G

GRECS121

Reaction score
Would you guys recomend 3.73s over say 4.10s? The only prob I have with going with 4.10 is this car is basically my daily driver unless it snows which I will then go with the uber contour.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
For a daily driver 5.0 I think the 373's would be good........but if you want to kick her in the ass 410's would do it 8)

OP
OP
G

GRECS121

Reaction score
Alright awsome looks I have a battleplan for now

Thanks for all the help

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
GRECS121 said:
Alright awsome looks I have a battleplan for now

Thanks for all the help

We are your information station .................er web site :rollinglaugh:

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
I WOULD NOT do 4:10's on a daily, it'll completly waste the low-end torque 5.0's make, not to mention highway driving would suck. 3.73's, throttle body, udp's, and grab some more timing. Changing the timming takes 45 seconds, if you want you can just bump it up for when u mess around (just make sure it's not pinging), then back it back down so you can run 87 daily.

G_94_T

Reaction score
it only costs like $2-3 extra a week to run 93.......turn it up and leave it up....... :thumb:

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Eastcoast5.0 said:
I WOULD NOT do 4:10's on a daily, it'll completly waste the low-end torque 5.0's make, not to mention highway driving would suck. 3.73's, throttle body, udp's, and grab some more timing. Changing the timming takes 45 seconds, if you want you can just bump it up for when u mess around (just make sure it's not pinging), then back it back down so you can run 87 daily.

I will have to dissagree. I have 4.10's and its fine. I dont understand why people think 4.10's is way too much gear. I do a lot of highway driving and it maybe got me 1 MPG less then what my 3.55's had. If you keep your car N/A i would say go 4.10's... If you want to put a blower on it, dont go the 4.10 route. Just trust me when I tell you that you will love 4.10's. I mean, you could be some kind of psyco *cough* snakebit *cough* and go 4.30's.....

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
CanaryGT said:
I will have to dissagree. I have 4.10's and its fine. I dont understand why people think 4.10's is way too much gear. I do a lot of highway driving and it maybe got me 1 MPG less then what my 3.55's had. If you keep your car N/A i would say go 4.10's... If you want to put a blower on it, dont go the 4.10 route. Just trust me when I tell you that you will love 4.10's. I mean, you could be some kind of psyco *cough* snakebit *cough* and go 4.30's.....
I guess some of it is opinion/driving preference. I Honestly have never been in a 302 with 4:10's so I can't totally back it up, BUT I have 3:73's with Nitto Dr's and I would NOT want the slightest bit more gear...I like to have some topend too, and as we all know stock 5.0's start giving up hp around 4800ish, not to mention torque starts heading south at 4000rpm. Snakebite needs the gear to compensate for the lack of power down low untill the highwinding 4v starts to make power. 5.0's are the complete opposite.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Eastcoast5.0 said:
CanaryGT said:
I guess some of it is opinion/driving preference. I Honestly have never been in a 302 with 4:10's so I can't totally back it up, BUT I have 3:73's with Nitto Dr's and I would NOT want the slightest bit more gear...I like to have some topend too, and as we all know stock 5.0's start giving up hp around 4800ish, not to mention torque starts heading south at 4000rpm. Snakebite needs the gear to compensate for the lack of power down low untill the highwinding 4v starts to make power. 5.0's are the complete opposite.

Thats exaclty right :) a lot of guys go with the 410's in thier Cobras and thats fine, but for the little extra UMMMPHHHHH the 430's do the trick :pimp:

CanaryGT

Reaction score
[/quote]

I will agree that out push rods act differently than our modular brothers, but to be honest with you that whole topend thing is BS. I doubt that you will even see the difference while maxing out your car. If you have that problem maybe you shouldn't be driving 150 down the freeway, thats a little more dangerous. That and a stock motor wont even go that fast. Maybe with stock gears and a REALLY long strip....

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
CanaryGT said:

I will agree that out push rods act differently than our modular brothers, but to be honest with you that whole topend thing is BS. I doubt that you will even see the difference while maxing out your car. If you have that problem maybe you shouldn't be driving 150 down the freeway, thats a little more dangerous. That and a stock motor wont even go that fast. Maybe with stock gears and a REALLY long strip....
[/quote]

Damn I have been in this tread and didnt even think about the fact that my 91 had 4:10's :comando: :comando: :comando: Granted I did have the Edelbrock RPM package and it was really ment to go in a car with some steep gears :). It did just fine, it was not to rev happy and had pull all the way up to around 6100 or 6200. And for that top end rush, if you have never been in a geard 4 valve you need to take a ride in one, becauses thats where they SHINE I CAN tell a difference in it and my 91GT it pulls much better up top than my old fox did. I dont think its ALL due to the 430's I have :-\

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
As for toping out, I do like stretching it out on an open highway every once in a while, it's part of the fun (preference). Stock gears were great for that (thats all they were good for) and after switching to 3:73's I DID notice a difference. If I noticed a difference between stock gears and 3:73's then I'm sure there's a difference between 3:73's and 4:10's (granted, not as much but still some).

You're fox could pull to 6100 because of the H/C/I package.

EDIT: ahhh this quoting is screwing me up lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online