What would it take to put an 03-04 motor in

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
As the topic title asks: What would it take to put a 03-04 cobra motor into a 95 GT mustang. Now It's just something I thought of today and it would be a year or 2 before I would actually consider doing this. Do any of you know of someone who has done it? Do you think it could be accomplished with 20k and that includes buying the cobra motor. Lets say the cobra motor is roughly 12k, do you think i could get everything else that is needed plus labor for it? I mean I would really love to get a 03-04 cobra by november, but I thought this would also be a neat idea. So guys please tell me what you know.

Stangbangin

Reaction score
I say go put 20k down on a 03 cobra and forget the headaches...if you did do it I'd imagine it'd be easier on a 96

97vertstang

Reaction score
Stangbangin said:
I say go put 20k down on a 03 cobra and forget the headaches...if you did do it I'd imagine it'd be easier on a 96
what he said, it will be easier to put a modular in a already equipped modular. but i would just buy the 03 cobra.

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
5.HOE said:
Stangbangin said:
what he said, it will be easier to put a modular in a already equipped modular. but i would just buy the 03 cobra.

Well that's my plan to have an 03-04 cobra by mid fall. It would just be something neat ya know? I mean no one would ever suspect a 95 GT have a 03-04 cobra motor in it lol.

95-stang

Reaction score
These days transplanting engines just is'nt fun anymore, too much electrical wizardry to sort out.
I agree, put the cash into buying the whole car. ;)

ripper

Reaction score
If you spent half that money on your 5.0 you would own termies ^-^

Dont fear the termy :D

scott5

Reaction score
the thought of doing a project like that would be cool, but there are so many more negatives to doing that.

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
95-stang said:
These days transplanting engines just is'nt fun anymore, too much electrical wizardry to sort out.
I agree, put the cash into buying the whole car. ;)

Yeah thats a good point. Swapping a motor into an old mustang, camaro, chevelle, nova. No problem. These days its like unheard of.

bybyz06

Reaction score
I did it...you're probably looking at about 20K ballpark figure depending on a lot of things. Here's a list of some of the things you'll need for the conversion:
1. Hydroboost (can get it used if you want) - this requires modifying the end that goes to the pedal - it's at a different angle
2. New steering shaft (available from Flaming River)
3. The motor (duh)
4. The transmission is preferable although lately I've heard that there are some bellhousings out there that mate up to the back of the 4.6 block that will allow you to bolt other Tremecs, etc. to the back instead of using the T56.
- with the transmission you'll need to move (read: re-weld) the trans. mounts to the body
- new driveshaft of the correct length
5. The entire top engine harness complete down to the PCM.
6. Rewire the driver's side of the car to mate up to the PCM harness at the passenger front side.
7. Disable PATS in the 03-04 Cobra with a tune so you can start it
8. Weld up brackets for the intercooler up in front of the car
9. Weld up brackets to mount the intercooler pump
10. The exhaust should bolt up to your muffler pipes, but you'll need new cat pipes/h/x-pipe
11. Modify your cruise control cable to work if you want cruise control
12. You'll need to update to the latest A/C components if you want A/C (and re-wire it)
13. Might need an oil relocation kit to clear the stock steering rack (the stock oil cooler won't clear the lines with the filter on)
14. You'll need a tach adapter to make your stock tachometer work
15. You'll need a speedometer adapter to make your speedometer work with the 6-speed (assuming you use it)
16. K-member for the mod motor mounts (I used an AJE K-member)

I'm sure there's some other things I can't think of at the moment, but that gives you an idea...

bybyz06

G

GREG@SN95

It would be 100x easier and 1000x cheaper to build the 302...

You could...

A. spend 20k on a termy motor swap and be fast
or
B. spend 20k on your ENTIRE CAR and woop a z06...

just a thought

bybyz06

Reaction score
Guess it really depends on whether he's looking for a project to work on...

G

GREG@SN95

bybyz06 said:
Guess it really depends on whether he's looking for a project to work on...
eh...

It'd be a waste of money... he could... if he wanted a termy motor and didnt care about the money... then he should go for it...

Its his car...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online