what would make me detonate or ping?

wildazme

Reaction score
ok, i have been having a problem for a lil while now and i have no idea why. when i gun the car at full throttle my car gets a pinging detonating sounds. i have just installed 4 new o2 sensors in the car to see if it would help but it hasnt. the fuel filter was changed not all that long ago. the current mods i have are in my signature. i get the pinging problem when i have an 87 octane tune on the car, the only time it stops is if i use 93 octane gas with the 87 octane tune. when i put the 91 octane tune on the car it pings even with 93 octane gas. i took the tune off completely and even stock the car pings unless i use 93 octane gas. any ideas?

ripper

Reaction score
Ping is bad wild. Its caused by the cylinder firing before it reaches top of cycle and can really mess your motor up. You are either running very lean (very) or its in your timing. Dont run it pinging. Put the 87 tune back in and run 93 till you figure out what it is. Im sure someone will chime in with some answers for you. These guys in here know there shit.

Quick96Mystic

Reaction score
My '00 Saleen had a pinging problem a couple of years after i put the saleen blower on there, it was because of running lean and a vacuum line i was told was going to end up breaking but i had completely forgotten about it

Put a wideband to it and see what your a/f ratio is and fatten up the fuel delivery in your tune a bit and see if it helps

Also have someone take a look at it.

Teal_Beast

Reaction score
How is your PCV system setup? i hear you can get some ping if you have too much crankcase pressure . . .

Also, check your fuel pressure to see if your all good at that end. Check your IAT sensor and your MAF.

ryclef331

Reaction score
STOP STOP STOP! Pinging/detonation will KILL your motor quicker than anything else out there!

Your "tunes" are OFF! Either that or your fuel pressure has dropped SINCE the tune for some reason. Run WHATEVER tune you can that DOESN'T cause the pinging.

On a side note though...and I'm not dogging ya but....87? You bought Mustang to go fast! Is the 2-3 bucks you save every fill up worth the loss of performance and risk of you motor going boom?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online