What would you do?

Daywalker

Reaction score
After having a bunch of work done on the stang this past weekend, it has been brought to my attention that I have a bad passenger side header gasket. :santa_cry: The freakin gasket from Ford is like $40, even though you get two with a head change kit that only costs $100! :slap: The labor to have it installed is $210($70/hr x 3 hours). So, that would put me over $250 to change this stupid thing out. I'm thinkin, since I only drive the car about once or twice a month anyways, is save up for a while and just do the damn PI swap. I don't think I can afford all the porting/polishing business but that all depends on how much I can save with X-mas around the corner. So what would you all do, replace the gasket now and worry about the headswap way later, or just hold out and do the swap? Thanks...

FST-HUH

Reaction score
If it was me I would deffinatly change the thing now, because it would drive me crazy knowing there is an a exhaust leak there and being able to hear it while driving. But than again depending on how fast you are planing to do your PI swap maybe that's something you could wait on.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went on ebay and bought some Percy's high temp exhaust gaskets for like $20 instead of the ford gasket...when doing the pi swap it will be easy to fix that yourself. Install the header and some stage 8 locking header bolts on the head while its out of the car and then install it as one unit...makes it sooooo much easier.

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
I wish I could do the work myself, but I don't have the time or patience for a job like that. I do little things, like yankin my hood on and off, changing the shifter, or even installing my rear sway bar. But most of the stuff under the hood gets done by a shop. And as far as time is concerned, if I were to change the gasket now, it would be probably 8-9 months before I'd even consider doing the swap. If I didn't change the gasket now, it would be more like next spring. That is, if I can talk the wife into spending the income tax money on the car............ :noes:

STNG_96

Reaction score
It is up to you, if that sound doesn't really bother you, don't worry about it, wait for the swap.

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
Oh and another thing, what effect would something like this be having on my HP/TQ??? :santa_sad:

98armygt

Reaction score
well i would just change the gasket out. it wouldnt take that long at all. i think the hardest part is getting to the header bolts. but if you jack up the car they should be relatively easy to get to. can probably do it in like an hour at most.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
it wont effect squat. just make an annoying tick sound.

My passenger side went out too.

I'd do the pi swap. you could go with the gasket Droptop mentioned, or get hedders. :banana:

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
I have a homegirl that is a parts manager at one of the local Ford stealerships right? At her cost, I'm lookin at $20 per header gasket. And guess what, I need two per side!!! :slap: I went to another parts store and asked for the same part earlier today. The guys asks, "does it have to be the FMS ones?" I was like "hell's no as long as it's the same quality gasket and it works." Long story short, I got a set of all four (both sides) for $8!!! I almost tipped the guy, he saved me $72! :dancing6: Picked up an idler pulley for $14 while I was at it. Ford wanted $45 for that. :slap: Got $125 worth of parts for $22....... :bunny3:

voidfinger

Reaction score
nice but i hope they hold up, i haven't had much luck out of parts stores for this motor.

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
nice but i hope they hold up, i haven't had much luck out of parts stores for this motor.

Thanks for the head's up.... :thumb:

PS - I grew up in Charlotte, what part you from?

voidfinger

Reaction score
Well i'm living in some apartments beside the UNC at Charlotte, i'm from a small town called Morven, NC. Its around Rockingham and Wadesboro if you ever heard of them. Good to hear from a Carolinian on these forums. Good luck on your car man.

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
Wow, smaaaaaall world. I spent a lot of time in Wadesboro growing up. My dad's longtime GF was from there...

96gt226410

Reaction score
I would do a PI swap. Save up some extra cash and P&P the heads first. And since you're going to have the head disassembled, nice time for new cams, springs, and vales. :santa_afro:... I'm from NC, too but I'm out in Raleigh. :santa_cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online