What year COBRA

wopony98

Reaction score
The 07 Shelby is going to be over produced and exclusiveity is gone! 9000 produced in that model with a potential for 3000 more. The car is the heaviest ever made by Ford. Rated at over 500hp at the rear its a monster but the 06 Corvette had 100 less hp and still beat the Shelby in the 1/4 by a 10th. The Shelby weighted over 900lbs more than the corvette.

Now don't get me wrong I would still get one if I had the money to spare. As for the SN95 Cobra's vs the 99-04. The 03-04 Cobra is the supreme in this aspect. I agree that this is the Cobra to have. Its already Forged for boost and you can get 600hp with minimal bolt ons. Plus the engine is rock solid.

The 96-98 Cobra's are better with Forced induction then the 99-01. However the 99-01 Naturally aspirated produce more hp per mod then the 96-98 does with the exact same mod. This was kinda explained above about the tumble port heads. I know lots of guys who hate the IRS and once they get so far with the mods they start looking for a solid axle swap.

The 2000 Cobra R is a BEAST! 380hp NA. I had a friend pick up number 200 from off EBAY for 27 thousand. It had only 9000 miles on it and what a good looking car. But remember this car doesn't have a single luxury item in it. Radio, A/C. So you can add these items but why? Its race ready and very exclusive.

So I would tell you if you get one look at cost and what you want to do. If you have money for a 07 then buy the 03-04 and put money into that for mods. If you have only money for a 99-01 then buy the 97-98 and put a Supercharger on it. You will have 450-480rwhp. Plus you don't have the payment ect.

Good luck.

SLITH3R96

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
Just get a 2001 WS6 trans am and be done with it.

TRAITOR!!!! :gtfo:

Seriously though, go with the 96-98, 4 the price they are awesome. I got mine 4 10500 w/ 67000 miles from the original owner. The heads respond better to forced induction than 99-01 heads (Call a Vortech and ask what horsepower gains you can get at 12psi, its incredibly.) I plan to throw one on with my tax return, 400-450 horsepower at 9psi :banana: the blocks are only good to 450-500 Horses and that's kinda pushing it. The other main issue I'm facing is tring to keep the wheels from spinning, 255 tires+My mods= A pointless 1st gear to some 2nd Gear tire-melter's and a horrible 60 foot. i fell in love after the first powershift though :thumb:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
SLITH3R96 said:
94GtStAnG5o said:

TRAITOR!!!! :gtfo:

Bahahaaa, thats actually my next car when I get a real job. But dont worry, I'm definetly keeping the snake and gt. I love these cars too much to just ditch them.

Definetly go 96-98 cobra, best bang for the buck.

SLITH3R96

Reaction score
I love the chick 4 your avatar 94GtStAnG5o!!! :hitit:. That ass is so fine :hardon:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Lol, yes it is, just need to find or make one with "cobra" on it.

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
SLITH3R96 said:
94GtStAnG5o said:

the blocks are only good to 450-500 Horses and that's kinda pushing it.

The blocks are good for over 1,500 horsepower. It's the rods and pistons that suck ass. But I have a friend with a supercharged (procharger) 96 cobra with 40,000 miles on the supercharger and hypernudicktic pistons. it's been running 11psi the whole time and they havn't blown yet. When I have the money for the supercharger, I'm upgrading my rods and pistons though... seems like he's been REALLY lucky.

97vertstang

Reaction score
i say get the one u get a deal on. if were in the market i wouldnt be able to decide so i would get the best all around /best priced one i could find.

predator97svt

Reaction score
I would go with the 96-97 cobra. But it all depends on what you want to do with it. If your going to leave it stock then there a great car but if your going to upgrade it then you might want to go with a 99 or 01. I havent been able to find anyone who makes aftermarket race heads for my 97, they all tell me that I have to port and polish my stock heads. But other than that there pretty even in aftermarket performance, not counting the 5.0 which pretty much rules the aftermarket industry and is a lot cheaper to build and is less tempramental during the tuning stage. There all great cars and have great potential. Good luck.

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
predator97svt said:
I would go with the 96-97 cobra. But it all depends on what you want to do with it. If your going to leave it stock then there a great car but if your going to upgrade it then you might want to go with a 99 or 01. I havent been able to find anyone who makes aftermarket race heads for my 97, they all tell me that I have to port and polish my stock heads. But other than that there pretty even in aftermarket performance, not counting the 5.0 which pretty much rules the aftermarket industry and is a lot cheaper to build and is less tempramental during the tuning stage. There all great cars and have great potential. Good luck.

Ford performance parts and several other companies make heads for our blocks. You just have to get an intake to go with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online