What year COBRA

Tattoogod

Reaction score
hi guys first post over here in the snake board..im going to be in the market here real soon for a cobra. what year should i get..from 1993 to the newer ones..ive noticed that the newer ones are alittle cheaper than the 93' what do you guys recomend as in what year..thanks

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
you talk about a HARD choice to make :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ it would take me forever to make a choice like this. Sorry but I dont think I can be any help :'(. A 94-95 cobra would be nice because of the pushrod motor, however the 96 and up 4 valves KICK ASS then the 93........a fox / cobra / with a pushrod motor............choices choices choices ;D

good luck

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
i hear ya there..ive been hearing that 97 and up had the rear end problem? fixed..but im still stuck on the fox bodies..Damn i just love that body style..but then again the sn95 is growing on me and it feels tighter and just feels new lol..im not good at the 4.6 motors,,i know quite abit about the push rod motors. :dunno: :dunno: but anyway i go it will still be a COBRA lol..cant go wrong..im getting rid of my 95gt once i get my money..my buddy has been driving me nuts about it..hes watched me everytime ive done anything from washing/waxing, to a basic tune up to a supercharger.. so he knows i do the cars right..he's gonna be walking away with my 95 for about 3,000 im basicly giving it to him..but hey he's my best friend.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a 97 so I am partial to the 96-98. But if I could get my hands on a 03-04 Cobra Terminator I would jump on it. They are a bit pricey though. I don't think they made a Cobra in 00-02.
But I did read somewhere they made some Cobra's in 01or 02 for export to Austrailia only.

This site has the production numbers on it. Look under database.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/svtcobracert.php

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
93 cobras are pretty rare and will be pretty pricey. They are awesome cars though.

94-95 are the cheapest cobras, your best bet if price is really important. Fun cars too. (Pushrod=unlimited potential in a newer package that can be made to go fast and turn)

96-98s are my favorites, they are right in the middle of the price range, are faster than either of the afforementioned cars from the factory. The best for daily driving if you ask me.

99 and 01 Cobras are when they swithed to IRS and upped the powerplants output slightly to like 325 crank hp I think(dont quote me)

Of course in 2000 the only Cobra made was the 00R, only 300 made. You can find a very few for sale but they are big bucks.

03-04 Cobras are just awesome in my opinion and they are whats really hot on the streets right now, you can find some pretty killer deals if you just look. Just beware of early 03s because they had/have a problem with the heads.

And now youve got the 07 coming out...and you know what thats like.

Cobra456hp

Reaction score
personally im into 94 95.last of the 5.0 and first 1 for the body style. with that being said and Im not trying to steal your thread, but does anyone know where to get ALL the production #s? Like how many were made with black int or saddle int and also my car came from the factory as a gold package. meaning my snakes, horse and the ford emblem are gold plated. I have seen this on less than a few gt's but NEVER on another cobra. anyone know where to find onfo on that? I know its factory, I was there when they unloaded it off the truck, washed and put in the showroom ..

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
WyoTechMSA said:
93 cobras are pretty rare and will be pretty pricey. They are awesome cars though.

94-95 are the cheapest cobras, your best bet if price is really important. Fun cars too. (Pushrod=unlimited potential in a newer package that can be made to go fast and turn)

96-98s are my favorites, they are right in the middle of the price range, are faster than either of the afforementioned cars from the factory. The best for daily driving if you ask me.

99 and 01 Cobras are when they swithed to IRS and upped the powerplants output slightly to like 325 crank hp I think(dont quote me)

Of course in 2000 the only Cobra made was the 00R, only 300 made. You can find a very few for sale but they are big bucks.

03-04 Cobras are just awesome in my opinion and they are whats really hot on the streets right now, you can find some pretty killer deals if you just look. Just beware of early 03s because they had/have a problem with the heads.

just for info the 99-01 Cobra was rated at 320 and ( after the FIX) that is what they made at the flywheel. Before the fix most of the bad ones wasn't even over 300 :-[

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Cobra456hp said:
personally im into 94 95.last of the 5.0 and first 1 for the body style. with that being said and Im not trying to steal your thread, but does anyone know where to get ALL the production #s? Like how many were made with black int or saddle int and also my car came from the factory as a gold package. meaning my snakes, horse and the ford emblem are gold plated. I have seen this on less than a few gt's but NEVER on another cobra. anyone know where to find onfo on that? I know its factory, I was there when they unloaded it off the truck, washed and put in the showroom ..

This is the number for SVT. They can tell you how to get the info you are looking for or they will give it to you. If you are not a member of SVTOA you can join when you talk to them, it is free. You can also get a new certificate of authenticty for you car, just give them the serial#. That costs $30.00 when you join SVTOA. That is how I found out the info on my 97 Cobra. Mine is #715 out of 6961, 1 of 817 white with black leather int.

1-800-FORD SVT (1-800 367-3788). Here's the link:
http://www.svt.ford.com/contactUs.asp

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
WyoTechMSA said:

just for info the 99-01 Cobra was rated at 320 and ( after the FIX) that is what they made at the flywheel. Before the fix most of the bad ones wasn't even over 300 :-[
Oh I was 5 hp off, so sue me

Cobra456hp

Reaction score
cool info, thanks. I already have the original certificate and "Thank You" letter. #649 of 5009. and Im pretty sure that mine is 1 of 433 made white with saddle. I am really curious about the gold package though. think they would have that info? I was also wondering about other color combos and how many they made of each. Thanks again

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
WyoTechMSA said:
Snakebit said:
WyoTechMSA said:

Oh I was 5 hp off, so sue me

that 5hp could be the bumper difference you need for a win

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Get a 96-98, I didn't know crap about the 4.6DOHC 4 weeks ago when I bought mine for 5k, and I still don't know that much yet, but I do know that this thing will rape my 94 gt hands down. It sounds sick, turns heads everywhere, and is capable of very high speeds.

timpryor

Reaction score
i LOVE my 97, would have gotten a terminator if i could but that wasn't a viable option, i only paid 11 including TTL bone stock(well before i got it) and only 65k miles 1 owner and garage kept

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
timpryor said:
i LOVE my 97, would have gotten a terminator if i could but that wasn't a viable option, i only paid 11 including TTL bone stock(well before i got it) and only 65k miles 1 owner and garage kept

I wanted a term too, but the money made me stick with the 99. Another Twenty thousand or so is a lot to fork out.

97GTS

Reaction score
if i were in the market for a snake, aside from an 03-04 id prolly go for either a 98 (BAB of course) or an 01

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
97GTS said:
if i were in the market for a snake, aside from an 03-04 id prolly go for either a 98 (BAB of course) or an 01

what you got aginst the 99 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? you trying to say my car sucks :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:................... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I would have rather had a 01 also since it has the better interior and such, but im pretty happy with my 99 :)

97GTS

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
what you got aginst the 99 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? you trying to say my car sucks :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:................... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I would have rather had a 01 also since it has the better interior and such, but im pretty happy with my 99 :)

:lol: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:
hey i <3 the 99's too cuz they're :khobra:

digdugdaddy

Reaction score
I would get a '96-'98. I think they look a lot meaner than the '99 and '01 personally. There is also a difference in the head design and intake. All/most 4V intakes are designed to work on the '99-up tumble port heads. The B heads on the '96-'98 flow slightly less numbers, but with FI, they actually flow a little better.

They did make a few '02 Cobra's, but they all went to Australlia so good luck getting your hands on one.

The '96's had a severe cooling issue and feature a one of cooling system setup for both GT's and Cobra's. There was a technical bulletin put out for Ford that upgraded these units to the '97-up configuration. I can tell you on hot summer days in traffic mine gets pretty warm. Theres a Fluidyne and 180 thermostat waiting to go in that should help with that though.

'98's tend to be a little quicker even though they are rated with the same hp. They also feature a different computer than the the '96 and '97 so your tuning/chip options are a little better on those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online