Whats cheaper doing the PI swap or just gettin a 4v motor ?

4point6GT

Reaction score
so should i do the PI Swap or just get a 99-04 gt 4v engine ??? which would you recommend, which would be cheaper. I know neither way it wont be cheap but as one of you guys said, if you want power its gonna cost $$$$. I just want opinions. I got a 98 mustang gt right now, 5 speed but I want to make it a bigger beast out of it.

jpajkos

Reaction score
I got a buddy who dropped an 04 GT 2v Motor in his 97 GT. He had everything ported and polished and swapped over all his supporting mods such as his CIA, PLenum, Throttle body, pulleys, and a few other and he dynoed it at 298 @ 305 and that was with a good tune. I know the 4v Cobra motors from 96-99 were rated at 305 @ 300 and the 01 320 @ 300 but im not sure. I would do the PI swap then later down the road Charge it. I mean if you get 400-450 horses charged at the wheels man its going to feel like a thousand horsespower be all this is just my opinion.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
PI swap is alot cheaper but the 4V would be better in the long run. you can get alot more out of the 4V with a supercharger than you will get out of the 2V

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
well then i will do the PI swap will do cheaper things first tho, so the 98 gt's r pretty much the same as 99-04 gt's just without the pi stuff right ?

281powered

Reaction score
yes pretty much the same but minus 40rwhp or so. pi will deffinetly be cheaper but it would be alot cooler with the 4V swap imo. :lol:

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
so the 4v would be the cobra engine right ? so then are 99-04 gt's are 2v as well or they 4v too ??? sorry , im still learning. and about how much do u think i could find a 99-04 gt engine for ?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
The 4v is the cobra and mach 1 engine. Gts have the same motor as you do just different heads, cam, inatke and pistons(keep compression down). If you do a PI headwap you will have more power than a 99-04 because of the higher compression. Unless you are gonna do the headswap yourself, i think you should look into getting a 4V. it will cost more, but it is well worth it. if you are only looking to put a little more speed into your car, do the headswap, but if you want a badass street/strip car go for the 4V.

jpajkos

Reaction score
If you got the money 4v is always the way to go. Your going to get a decent motor with low miles probably around 5k. Yes 4v can put out more horses power then the 2v. Guy sellling his 03 GT witha procharger and intercooler on it and has dyno sheets to prove he's making 440 at the crank when in all honestly he's putting around 380ish at the wheels if not more. If you looking to save money defitanly do the P.I. swap. Dalmar has a link to an ebay seller who can get a total PI conversion for 1400 bucks thats includes everything. Spend alittle extra money get the heads ported along with the intake. You squeeze about 20 extra horses if not more out of the package. A good tune will always get you more. If your going to do it then do it right the first time and you will be satisfied.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
This is a easy debate..................4Valve > 2Valve PERIOD. If your going to do a PI swap dont screw around with the 2valve do some looking and find a 4valve motor. Preferbly one from a Mach car (they are stronger than the 99-01 Cobra motors). With all the bolt on crap for a 2valve you will just be around or slightly higher than the 4 valve STOCK. My 99 made 272hp and 280tq on the dyno STOCK, thats the normal for these 4valves, however the Mach cars usually dyno 280hp+ and the tq is crazy on average ive seen 310-315 on these newer motors and thats bone stock numers fellas, they have diffrent cams and intake from the 99-01 Cobras. The modular motors have really advanced over the last 3 to 4 years.........dyno sheets DO NOT LIE. I would have much rather had a Mach 1 but I had to settle into something a litttle cheaper with my 7 year old cobra. Bottom line if you can locate a 4 valve motor GET IT and you may get lucky and have a ass kicker out of a Mach car 8)

HOOLS96GT

Reaction score
hey man new to the forum here to. I'm a ford tech in upstate NY over the winter i took my 96 gt and did the pi conversion to it and i used 04 crown Vic police heads and intake. sent them down to the local napa machine shop and had them ported and polished. added some ford motorsport headers and port matched them. i also went with the crower stage 2 cams and valve springs. i already had the normal bolt ons and wow its a noticeable difference. working on getting a Dino tune next but bang for the buck id go with pi conversion then spruce them up a bit.. ya a 4v is allot better but some of us have very shallow pockets...... :hammer: :hitit:

1996 gt full cobra conversion cobra r 2000 hood bumpers pi conversion crow er stage 2 cams springs c-l true flow 80mm maf inlet and elbow 75mm acufab t-body 24lb injectors adjustable reg 9mm wires ngk iridium's ford shorty headers mac h-pipe flows 3.73s centerforce df clutch motorsport flywheel march damper + pulleys lowered 2in cobra brake conversion cobra cluster and air bags cobra r's w/245-45-17's front 275-35-17's rear and best of 13.6 at 102 mph with 2.3 60 ft .

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
yea i dont got 3-5k cash around to buy an used engine so i think i should go with the whole PI swap for now, definatley will swap my engine when its time to tho n of course will look for a 4v and if cant find one i will just get a 99-04 2v. Besides I wanna smoke some rice and with a modded 2v i know it can do wonders no doubt i cant beat a 4v tho, still will go up for the challenge with other stangs even tho i lose, besides i love stangs no matter what and its fun racing. But will work hard on my 2v cause what i really wanna eat is some camaros, wont be easy but its possible. Im blowin all of my money under my cars hood :dancing6:

jpajkos

Reaction score
4v are great but if you like me money doesnt grow on trees. I will also be doing a PI swap on mine as well. I will port and polish and add some headers to compliment my catted x pipe and Dyno Max Bullets! Always remember man if you even get close to 300 at the wheels its going to feel like alot more. For the cobra guys :gtfo: lol j/k

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
This is a easy debate..................4Valve > 2Valve PERIOD. If your going to do a PI swap dont screw around with the 2valve do some looking and find a 4valve motor. Preferbly one from a Mach car (they are stronger than the 99-01 Cobra motors). With all the bolt on crap for a 2valve you will just be around or slightly higher than the 4 valve STOCK. My 99 made 272hp and 280tq on the dyno STOCK, thats the normal for these 4valves, however the Mach cars usually dyno 280hp+ and the tq is crazy on average ive seen 310-315 on these newer motors and thats bone stock numers fellas, they have diffrent cams and intake from the 99-01 Cobras. The modular motors have really advanced over the last 3 to 4 years.........dyno sheets DO NOT LIE. I would have much rather had a Mach 1 but I had to settle into something a litttle cheaper with my 7 year old cobra. Bottom line if you can locate a 4 valve motor GET IT and you may get lucky and have a ass kicker out of a Mach car 8)

I'm gonna have to debate you on this one snakie.

the value of a used setup depends on what you find.
but swapping from a 2V to a 4V takes alot more than the motor.
you have a different computer and wiring system, and alot of odds and ends that you'll be adding to get it running.
that will all add up in $$$ and hours.

plus you look at HP gains from any 4V, NA
unless you're adding a blown, forged 03 cobra setup, you're only gaining around 100-150ish HP.

you can get over 100 HP from ported PI heads and cams on a 2V.

I have a dyno sheet from TPH,
twin turbo'd 2V - 911 rwhp. :bunny3:

there's more info on my thread on the PI swap. Please read.
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1292.0

the 4V is nice, but it's not "alot better" when paired up to a nicely built 2V.
remember, the mighty 302 is a 2V with 1 cam.... :D
I've raced a 96 cobra (4V) when I was still NPI and he only beat me by 1 car....

another factor in my book - if you're wanting to push over 500 HP, you'll have to rebuild the shortblock on the 4V too. $$$$

there's also alot to be said about correct suspension setup for traction, launches and corner exit, and
good old fashoned "im lighter than you'r 4V. pig." (no offence Snakie)

I've looked into these options before, so I have my opinions, hope it's helpful
good luck :)

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
I cant wait when i get around to do my PI swap n port n polish them, its gonna be sweeeeeeeet !!! thanks for the info DAL

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Snakebit said:

I'm gonna have to debate you on this one snakie.

the value of a used setup depends on what you find.
but swapping from a 2V to a 4V takes alot more than the motor.
you have a different computer and wiring system, and alot of odds and ends that you'll be adding to get it running.
that will all add up in $$$ and hours.

plus you look at HP gains from any 4V, NA
unless you're adding a blown, forged 03 cobra setup, you're only gaining around 100-150ish HP.

you can get over 100 HP from ported PI heads and cams on a 2V.

I have a dyno sheet from TPH,
twin turbo'd 2V - 911 rwhp. :bunny3:

there's more info on my thread on the PI swap. Please read.
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1292.0

the 4V is nice, but it's not "alot better" when paired up to a nicely built 2V.
remember, the mighty 302 is a 2V with 1 cam.... :D
I've raced a 96 cobra (4V) when I was still NPI and he only beat me by 1 car....

another factor in my book - if you're wanting to push over 500 HP, you'll have to rebuild the shortblock on the 4V too. $$$$

there's also alot to be said about correct suspension setup for traction, launches and corner exit, and
good old fashoned "im lighter than you'r 4V. pig." (no offence Snakie)

I've looked into these options before, so I have my opinions, hope it's helpful
good luck :)

what you say is true but................................add in what that nicely built 2 valve will cost to compare to the 4 valve. It just depends on how far you want to go, look at it this way, who is ever satisfied with their cars performance? ;D and with the better breathing 4vavle you have more potential for greater power production. what do you think? :)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
YW 4point6

Snakebit said:
what you say is true but................................add in what that nicely built 2 valve will cost to compare to the 4 valve. It just depends on how far you want to go, look at it this way, who is ever satisfied with their cars performance? ;D and with the better breathing 4vavle you have more potential for greater power production. what do you think? :)

Yes Snakebit, that's exactly my point. add it all up and you'll be supprised how much more it costs to convert.
the pro's and cons are relative to what you're planning on doing. Either stock assembly will need to be rebuilt beyond 450 HP or so.
so is the 100 - 150 HP gain worth the cost?
how much does it cost to get that from the 2V that's already in the car?
whoever's looking at it should add those two up and decide.
If you really want a 4V in you're GT, that is Cool. you got the money for it, go for it.

Satifsfied? - I guess it depends on how long it takes you to get used to the power ;D
it's probably something like 21 days.

I think if you're really set on a 4V. you might as well buy a used cobra and go from there. kinda like you did.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think if you're really set on a 4V. you might as well buy a used cobra and go from there. kinda like you did.
[/quote]

Very good point.............cus its true :dancing6: :ass3: :bunny3:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
19mustang95 said:
PI swap is alot cheaper but the 4V would be better in the long run. you can get alot more out of the 4V with a supercharger than you will get out of the 2V
Not exactly true...the 4V has more potential NA but forced induction a 2V can hang with or surpass a 4V.

MPH ( Modular Powerhouse) made their name off beating 4V Cobras with 2V GT's
They did a test with a 2V with MPH heads/cams etc ~vs~ a similarly modded 4V both with a KB 2.2 Blower and both with 20-22lbs of boost and the 2V spanked the 4V on the dyno.

It comes down to budget....if your poor just build your 2V. They are not the slouches everyone thinks and respond well to forced induction.

tomustang

Reaction score
It really depends how much power you actually want. Even just a PI swap and some 3.73-4.10's can wake your car up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online