Whats the best short shifter for 1996 gt 5-speed

Tune Tryst

Reaction score
Whats the best short shifter for 1996 gt 5-speed. Looking for a short shifter that's straight up and down and small but can't seem to find one?

lutter94

Reaction score
I like my Pro 5.0, some say the 5.0 with a tri-ax handle is the cats meow, bringing the handle further back since the Pro 5.0 handle comes straight up.

Pro 5.0
pro-7210t5_6639.jpg

Steeda Tri-Ax
tri-ax-shifter.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tune Tryst

Reaction score
Thanks I just couldn't find one that was straight up and down. I just hat the way the stock shifter looks and I don't like that angle that it in. But I will most defiantly look at the pro 5.0

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You will never find anything better than an MGW, I've tried them all. Build quality, feel (while I admit is subjective) and fit/finish all higher than other shifters.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have never tried/owned a MGW and I can tell you its the best in existence.

That's how good they are.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
If you just want a straight up shifter handle, pro 5.0. If you want the best shifter, MGW.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Here we go again lol. I like the MGW in a 6 speed but I haven't felt much of a difference between that and a Pro 5.0 in a 5 speed. Just my opinion. I have a Pro 5.0 with the steeda handle and love it. I WILL admit you can never seem to find a used MGW so that's gotta say something. Nobody is getting rid of them once they buy one.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Whats the best short shifter for 1996 gt 5-speed. Looking for a short shifter that's straight up and down and small but can't seem to find one?

Are you asking about the actual shifter or the shifter handle?
The 3 most popular are MGW, pro 5.0, and steeda tri-ax.
As far as handles, your just going to have to find one that fits you.
I had the pro 5.0 on mine for a while and hated it. It is to straight up for me, I had to reach for 3rd and 5th. I found a handle at Summit Racing made by UMI and the shifter sits perfect now.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
MGW for the win. Hands down the highest quality shifter imo. They offer three different handles. Standard handle, race handle, comfort handle. Race is the shortest, comfort is the longest, standard is in between. The handles are adjustable in height and whatever angle you want it left right middle etc

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Another +1 for MGW. I've had a pro 5.0 knockoff, a hurst billet plus, and now MGW. MGW is better by far.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a pic with the MGW installed. It's not straight up and down like you mentioned in your OP, however it's quite comfortable. The handle I'm using is the "race" handle, which is the most aggressive of the 3 handles they offer. I had a problem with previous straight up and down shifters - when I shifted into 1st or 3rd, it the put the shifter too close to the center radio bezel thing, and my hand was actually touching it. So I don't personally like the straight up and down shifters. IMO, the MGW is perfect, and it's quite adjustable, both in height and angle relative to your body. So there's a very good chance you'll get it right where you want it.

IMG_3657.jpg

lutter94

Reaction score
I just installed a tri-ax handle in my car this wknd. Allows me to reach the armrest with my hand still on the shifter. The pro5.0 didn't cause any problems for me, touching the dash. I just wanted it back further. If you want my pro5.0 handle, send me a PM.

MysticChaos

Reaction score
Pro 5.0 offers two different handles now. My pro 5.0 for my t45 came with one like the tri ax handle. I ended up keeping that handle when I switched to a t56 and putting it on that pro 5.0 shifter too. I think I'd like to try the mgw eventually though. Heard to many good things about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online