What's this thing at the base of the wiper called?

Five O

Reaction score
Noticed this white sheath of some sort on the base of my windshield wipers on my 95 gt... I hate the white look and one of them is busted (see pic). I was just curious as to whether or not anyone knew the name of this piece so I can buy new ones that are black, and how to install them?

15xlc3s.jpg

Also, do you guys think back to black will work on the wiper arms or should I take them off and paint them? Thanks!

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
hmmmmmm.....weird. i've had 2 gt's and neither of them had those lol. sure you can't just get rid of those all together? as for the faded paint on the arms....back to black is temporary and repainting them will look better and last. i'd repaint for sure!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pop the blades off and paint them. I've not personally seen those things before, though I've never looked. does it seem like just a cover?

RichV

Reaction score
I bet it's just a trim piece.

My 94 has them too, just looked. My wipers are removed, but that piece is still under the splined piece that holds the wiper arm. I bet you gotta take off the plastic cowl trim and go from there.

Addermk2

Reaction score
f21dfe955ac28f770c2a6a5336ed0187.jpg

Got em on my cobra. They are just dress up covers for the wiper transmission. Nothing special or necessary.

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I'd love to get some black sleeves to hide the metal base, but I guess the grey metal is preferable to the bright white plastic covers as they are now. I might just paint the metal black too and be done with it. Any paint recommendations?

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have it...

which reminds me, should respray my wipers.

Are you sure that black part at the bottom isn't it, just black? It has the same shape. Either way, I can't find that trim piece online anywhere, which is a bit discouraging...

QdcEnc5l.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have them on my 95, both are breaking up, and are badly discolored. When I replace my cowl, I will just remove them. They are not necessary, as others have stated.

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
I have them on my 95, both are breaking up, and are badly discolored. When I replace my cowl, I will just remove them. They are not necessary, as others have stated.

Yeah, I have no problem doing that too, but I was thinking I'll paint the metal black to blend in a little better too.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no problem doing that too, but I was thinking I'll paint the metal black to blend in a little better too.

That would work. Mine are too far gone to be saved :(

rw95gt

Reaction score
Removed mine when I replaced my cowl panel. Also painted the wiper arms and replaced my wiper blades with the new cleaner one piece Bosch versions.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
Removed mine when I replaced my cowl panel. Also painted the wiper arms and replaced my wiper blades with the new cleaner one piece Bosch versions.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

I actually just painted my wiper arms today. They look SO much better than before now... well worth the small amount of work.

21mupo6.jpg

Unfortunately I also painted my antenna's base, and when I pulled the paint from around it the cheap Maaco paint flaked right off. Looks like they didn't even sand it down all the way, it's still a light red which I assume is the original paint.

14kfsys.jpg

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
I painted mine when i replaced my windshield wiper motor... looks x10 better gloss black. Lol.

Yeah, I bet it does! the pale gray metal look isn't all that great-if I had the covers on there and they were still black I'd roll with that. My car's like maroon or dark red of some sort, but I'm really wanting to go with a light blue at some point and get it repainted... I think glossy black on light blue would look awesome. Probably going to make the mirrors gloss black also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online