Wheel and Tire Decision

ALITL8

Reaction score
okay guys, ive got these:

bratxwheels2.jpg

should i get DRs to fit these wheels for the track or should i sell these almost perfect wheels and very new tires and get 315 DRs to fit my 17x10.5. note, my car doesnt make a lot of HP but she's got some torque!!

thanks for any advice!!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Man the 16 inch drag radials hook WAYYYY better than any street tire will, but the wider the DR's natural the better they will hook. I honestly think you should let those tires on those ponys and get the BIG BOY drag radials on you new wide rims.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Jperran said:
You don't need a 315 drag radial for your car to hook, I would get some nice tires for the waffle wheels and use them when you go the track or w/e. You can get some E/T streets or something on those which would last forever as track only tires, but you wont get but a couple months out of them on the street.

However, drag radials + stock ear end = broken shit.

I ran drag's on my 91 GT for over 3 years and never broke anything :) and that was with a handfull of mid 7 eighth mile passes at the strip :dancing6: I've got them on my Cobra now and everything is going fine...........and that's with my IRS rear end. No you don't need 315's to hook but the more contact patch you have with the road = the better your tires will stay planted to it and give traction.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Jperran said:
how hard were you launching in the 91?

when they were new around 3500 then as they got older......and balder ::) it gradually droped to around 2 grand, and even then they still DEAD hooked off the line ;) My cobra just ran a 7.91 two weeks ago and I came off at 2200 and had a DEAD hook with it......I dont want any thing harder, that IRS scares the hell out of me, I want it to last not break :angel:

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
thanks guys... im gonna go with the waffles and DR's. i talked to my tire guy this morning and he's going to hook me up on a set of Nitto 245/50/16's. this way i can save my expensive 315's for riding on the street... 315/35/17's cost quite a bit more than the 245/50/16's.

if i break something that means i "have to" upgrade, right? woohoo, 31 spline coming soon!!! ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online