Wheel not centered after MM Solid Steering Shaft Install

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Well got my car back from the shop after an alignment and brake flush.

While my brakes feel amazing now after the Cobra caliper upgrade, the wheel is about 10 degrees to the right to make the car drive straight. It drives straight as an arrow but the wheel not being dead center to do so is driving me nuts. The stock steering shaft had no issues like this.

I have a feeling I somehow tightened the drive shaft at the rack off somehow.

The shop tried telling me I need some type of bolt to get the camber correct on the bottom and this will inturn straighten my wheel. This makes absolutely no sense to me because I've had this car aligned many many times in the past and it was always able to be aligned correctly and within spec just using caster/camber plates that I have installed. The car is on Steeda Sport springs so I'm not rocking some slammed drop. I'm right at about a 1.4" drop. Nothing insane.

Anyone have this issue after installing an after market steering shaft? I feel like the shop is feeding me horse crap.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
camber is adjusted at the strut tower and not by a cam bolt at the bottom.
They're morons.
Set the camber as usual (first)
then set the toe.
if they do the toe first, the camber change will knock the toe off.
make sure the steering wheel is centered when they set the toe.

I've had wheels be off like that before. Made them shift the tie rod end adjustment and fix it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah this is due to piss poor work on their part. If they would of made sure to lock the wheel straight before they started the process then it would of ended up straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
This is my thoughts exactly. I mean the car drives straight as an arrow and the responsiveness of the new steering shaft is out of this world but the steering wheel has to be turned 10 degrees to the right to do it. They even parked the car in a parking spot and the wheels were dead straight but the wheel was turned to the right. Like this isn’t rocket science.

I used a local shop that I usually use to get oil changes done on my work truck but anything mustang related I go to a dedicated mustang shop to get done since the owner oversees all work personally.

I’m debating going back to the original shop or just taking it to my guy I typically use. I just absolutely hate being out the money I paid to get this done. It also sucks because I can’t sit in the waiting room of most places so I’m also either having to sit outside or pay Uber.

The original shop won’t look at it again unless I buy these bolts or whatever the hell.... which is something I never ever needed in the past and my car has been lowered for years.

I’d like a refund on my alignment but they did flush the brakes properly so I don’t expect money back there.

What would you guys do?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Well got my car back from the shop after an alignment and brake flush.

While my brakes feel amazing now after the Cobra caliper upgrade, the wheel is about 10 degrees to the right to make the car drive straight. It drives straight as an arrow but the wheel not being dead center to do so is driving me nuts. The stock steering shaft had no issues like this.

I have a feeling I somehow tightened the drive shaft at the rack off somehow.

The shop tried telling me I need some type of bolt to get the camber correct on the bottom and this will inturn straighten my wheel. This makes absolutely no sense to me because I've had this car aligned many many times in the past and it was always able to be aligned correctly and within spec just using caster/camber plates that I have installed. The car is on Steeda Sport springs so I'm not rocking some slammed drop. I'm right at about a 1.4" drop. Nothing insane.

Anyone have this issue after installing an after market steering shaft? I feel like the shop is feeding me horse crap.
They are giving you a line of shit
Have another shop look at it and charge that shop the difference

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There is no reason to use camber bolts. Those are a band aid fix and not advisable.

Demand they either 1) fix this , 2) refund your money, or 3) go to a shop you trust and then take that bill and threaten to file at small claims court if you want the money back.

Look into bbb and google reviews. Shops do not like getting bad reviews on either.

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
You guys are amazing. See I’ve had this car too long to know when I’m being told shit and when I’m told the truth.

I’ll take it to my trusted guy next week that I normally go to when there is something I need done and can’t do it myself. I’ll have him look it over, correct what is needed, then pursue the old shop.

It’s not the $90 for the alignment I’m angry about. It’s the TIME and bullshit I now have to deal with. I now have to source a new shop and do all this headache bullshit when it should have been done right the first time. And to try to sell parts on me after the fact?!

I’ve had this car 10 years, had it aligned numerous times and have had the same drop forever. Every shop was able to get it within spec AND have the wheel dead center.

This should be a fun ride. I’ll update but thanks everyone! Just for shits I tried to unloosen the bolt at the rack, turn the wheel left and lock I to place with the seat belt and retighten the bolt at the rack and see if that centered it. Nope. The fit is so tight there’s no room for error so damn this shop.

I used them for oil changes on my company truck (company owned so I can’t do it myself for insurance) but this is what I get for going beyond the basics.

I’ve found once you find a good shop, hold them dear and spread the word like wildfire to support them. They are rare as hell.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
1st time ive ever heard of this problem. Probably cause it dont exist! I mean, new stuff comes out often for our cars and i may not be on the updates, but im like you guys,.... its not rocket science.

Is there something we are missing? Perhaps alignment of the k-member? Or parts upside down... Very strange

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
It’s called being screwed. I’ll admit I don’t know everything about this car because I’m just a weekend hobbiest but I’d hope maybe after seeing the mods done to the car they’d think I’m not some person off the street.

I’ll give it to them. They had me fooled for a quick minute hence this post. If I weren’t the wiser I’d be back in there next week forking over more money but I appreciate everyone solidifying what I had a feeling of all along.

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Thanks for positive praises!

Hey everyone just taking their time out of their busy lives to give me a few seconds of their thoughts is always been a huge thing for me. It’s always appreciated and the least I can do is thank them. I also try to contribute as much as I personally can.

This hobby can be extremely frustrating but damn it can it be rewarding as well.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
This is my thoughts exactly. I mean the car drives straight as an arrow and the responsiveness of the new steering shaft is out of this world but the steering wheel has to be turned 10 degrees to the right to do it. They even parked the car in a parking spot and the wheels were dead straight but the wheel was turned to the right. Like this isn’t rocket science.

I used a local shop that I usually use to get oil changes done on my work truck but anything mustang related I go to a dedicated mustang shop to get done since the owner oversees all work personally.

I’m debating going back to the original shop or just taking it to my guy I typically use. I just absolutely hate being out the money I paid to get this done. It also sucks because I can’t sit in the waiting room of most places so I’m also either having to sit outside or pay Uber.

The original shop won’t look at it again unless I buy these bolts or whatever the hell.... which is something I never ever needed in the past and my car has been lowered for years.

I’d like a refund on my alignment but they did flush the brakes properly so I don’t expect money back there.

What would you guys do?

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score

I appreciate you quoting my post with no response.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
Take it back and have them start over. First thing any good alignment shop would do is to center the steering wheel

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1st time ive ever heard of this problem. Probably cause it dont exist! I mean, new stuff comes out often for our cars and i may not be on the updates, but im like you guys,.... its not rocket science.

Is there something we are missing? Perhaps alignment of the k-member? Or parts upside down... Very strange

It happens more often then not. What happens is the shop doesn’t set the wheel to perfect 0° before starting. Then as they adjust it all they will get the alignment right but with the wheel angled. Only way to properly fix it is by adjusting the tie rod ends to bring this back to 0°.

Technically you could fix this in your own garage with some time and patience by measuring the toe in and marking the ground with tape. Then center the wheel back up and adjust the tie rods so that it brings them back to the marked area while your wheel is locked at 0°. But you still may be just a bit off when all said and done.

Hence, I say make them do it the right way.

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I ended up just going to the guy I always do that’s a performance shop that specializes in mustangs. Long story short they said the shop I went to jacked it up but it’s good as new now. Coming home I was going through turns like a champ and am beyond happy.

He’s open on Saturday now too which is amazing. Only reason I did the other shop is because on work days it’s hard for me to get personal stuff done. I resorted to going to a shop open on weekends and this is what I get.

Thanks everyone! Goes to show most shops out there suck and when you find a good honest one, stick to them, support them, and make sure you praise them online.

Now to demand a refund from the shop that messed my stuff up. This should be fun.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up just going to the guy I always do that’s a performance shop that specializes in mustangs. Long story short they said the shop I went to jacked it up but it’s good as new now. Coming home I was going through turns like a champ and am beyond happy.

He’s open on Saturday now too which is amazing. Only reason I did the other shop is because on work days it’s hard for me to get personal stuff done. I resorted to going to a shop open on weekends and this is what I get.

Thanks everyone! Goes to show most shops out there suck and when you find a good honest one, stick to them, support them, and make sure you praise them online.

Now to demand a refund from the shop that messed my stuff up. This should be fun.

Did you get a detailed invoice from him explaining what all they did wrong and what he had to correct???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online