when I get my tires...

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
My car came stock with 245/45-17. I changed tires but stayed the exact same size and my speedo is now off. I cannot remember how it is to say though! If I want to go 70, I set my cruise for 67. I am buying 275/40-17 now. Will that effect my speedo at all? If so, how will it? Thanks in advance!!

ryclef331

Reaction score
3mph isn't SHIT. Trust me.

Anyway, were the old tires bald? Now when you get some tires with some tread on'em, they're going to be bigger. That means everytime it rotates the new tire is going to cover more ground than a bald one. Make sense? And also, different manufacturers may measure in slightly different ways...no every tire measures out slightly different depsite the sidewalls reading the same. BFG's 245 45 17 might be as much as a 1/2" taller than say Nittos. It was one thing I learned from trucks...

"Not all tires are created equal"

OP
OP
eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
My tires weren't bald by far!  This time I am just buying the correct tire for 17x9 rims!!  My old ones worked, but didn't look right! 

I did not know that 3 mph was nothing to worry about, either!  It might have been like that for a long time also!  A stretch of highway had one of those MPHreader things on it.  Hell, that has been almost 2 years ago, too.  I just know what to set my cruise for!  Thanks a bunch!!

ryclef331

Reaction score
Yeah man, trust me. 3mph isn't much at all. You might be spot on at say 45mph but when you get up to around 70 75...its off. Most vehicles, the fast you go, the more innaccurate they become. You may read a 150mph when you peg it but you can be sure you're not doing quite that much....but you're still close!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online