When your jeep kills a mechanic . and now jeep wants to sue you

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Michigan car owner sued after Jeep kills mechanic during oil change
A Michigan man who left his car at a dealership for an oil change and tire rotation is being sued after his vehicle was involved in the death of one of the dealership's employees.
Sergio Enrique Diaz-Navarro took his red 2019 Wrangler to a Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership on March 13, 2020, and 19-year-old lube technician Daniel Thompson worked on the car. After the service was complete, the vehicle "lurched forward" as the young employee attempted to operate it, crushing 42-year-old mechanic Jeffrey Hawkins against a cabinet, court records show.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
wonder if its another remote start nightmare. A jeep just lurching forward? REminds me of luckydawg over on mustang forums that was looking for how to bypass his clutch safety switch. I warned him that it is not a good idea and they make alarms made to go in manuals that are pretty darn reliable, but he didn't listen. 2 days later he was showing how he bypassed it, 3 months later he was showing pics of a wrecker dragging it out of a lake. He took it to his dealer who at some point moved the car to the back lot where they work, and left it in gear. His alarm was set up where if he hit disarm 2 times it started the car. There were no markings on the remote to designate this so he didn't know and hit it a 2nd time, and then watched the car start cranking and go up over the curb, under a fence and drove itself right into the lake behind it. He of course tried to sue the dealer and who knows he might have one if the dealer didn't get the tip, including the link, that he was warned not to do what he did.

OP
OP
RAU03MACH

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
its a terrible thing when something like this happens
but what is bad is when a dealership blames you for it

i do not like taking my vehicles to a dealer especially when this could happen

OP
OP
RAU03MACH

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
any thing is possible remote starts, i stay away from , i will only keep the factory alarm
until its not working and shit can it
i have had many people trying to talk into the auto remote start by phone
hell no

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
any thing is possible remote starts, i stay away from , i will only keep the factory alarm
until its not working and shit can it
i have had many people trying to talk into the auto remote start by phone
hell no
they make remote starts that are specifically made to go on manuals. What happens is you need to set it up when you leave by simply putting it in nuetral while pulling up the parking brake while your foot is on the foot brake, just like 99% of us do anyway. What happens then is when you pull the key out, the car stays running till you shut the door. At that point it locks/arms the alarm and shuts off the engine knowing it is neutral. As long as the alarm does not see the doors open, it will then allow you to remote start it. Now if run out, disarm and crab something from the console, or if someone breaks in and it sees the door open, it will not start.

OP
OP
RAU03MACH

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Really bad situation if so

I just don't see the dealership sueing the owner
Because he took jeep in get service

Laws are very crazy now and days
And there are a lot of people that are sue happy
Sue for crazy things
Watch out for yourselves be aware of the scams

07GtS197

Reaction score
I read the story a little bit. I guess the kid that was in it didn’t know how to drive stick but was trying to move it. In the state that it happened, the owner is vicariously liable because it is their vehicle.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I read the same news, but from a different source. From what I read, it sounded like the young asshat tried to start the jeep without pushing the clutch in first.

delling3

Reaction score
I am guessing it's not the dealership brining the lawsuit, but instead the dead man's family. Stupid fact is that most lawsuits like this they sue everyone and anyone remotely connected to the event. The lawyers want to get there hands into as many pockets as possible. My bet is the dealership, the car owner, the young kid behind the wheel, and Jeep (Stellantis, or whatever the hell they are calling themselves these days) are all named in the suit.

OP
OP
RAU03MACH

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
but to you guys , do you really think the dealership should sue the guy who owns the jeep
the guy is not a mechanic , he took it in for service ,
to me it looks like that dealership is covering there own ass

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I read the same news, but from a different source. From what I read, it sounded like the young asshat tried to start the jeep without pushing the clutch in first.
I mean maybe it is a jeep that is that old that it doesn't have a safety switch on it but I am not mistaken those have been mandatory since 89-90 area. If it was a jeep that old that it didn't have one it would not seem like much of a case but again if someone was dickin with it and bypassed it then their ass is grass imo.

OP
OP
RAU03MACH

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
A 19 year old that had no driver's license
Or did not know how to drive a stick shift

Someone's covering up

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
This is all public information, available to any of us truly interested in known facts. Who filed the lawsuit? Who was (were) named as defendant(s)? What are the claims? This is about $$$$ (as we all KNOW)...NOT about common sense or justice...or, God forbid, the truth! Sad state of this country. Enjoy the Day!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online