where do you put your phone?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have finally upgraded to a deck that has android auto. It seems like a neat feature but it needs to have the usb plugged into do it is the only complaint I have. Because of this for the first time I am considering a phone mount on my dash somewhere really just to keep the cable from being yanked out. I am not the kind of person to text/drive or use my phone much at all when I do and the android auto doesn't mean I need it right next to me but not sure what works when looking at all the choices.

lutter94

Reaction score
Which center console do you have?

I upgraded to the 04ish idk what year range it is. But has two separate cup holders, one with a rubber insert. It also has a cig lighter in the center console itself. I would wire in a flush mount usb plug into that console cubby, plug it in and leave it in there. If there is room. Like you said you don't need it on you, and I believe the screen is disabled with it plugged in anyways? Correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its the stock 94 console with the ash tray. I am going to put my cnc to use and make a nice mounting panel for the usb connections as well as my remote radar detector buttons in the dash below the radio. Just not sure how to mount the phone to keep it from bouncing around and ripping out the usb.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you need to see the phone while driving?? Why not put the usb under the center consoles armrest and the you can just plug the phone in and lay it inside. Close it and drive and the phone isn’t going anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do you need to see the phone while driving?? Why not put the usb under the center consoles armrest and the you can just plug the phone in and lay it inside. Close it and drive and the phone isn’t going anywhere

That is a really good question as I am not sure completely about the auto stuff. Do you know when the last time was that I went into a car audio store to actually learn about the product? I wasn't sure about the android auto and some other questions so I went to best buy and another place to put my hands on them and get some answers. After deciding to go with a mechless unit I was surprised when I opened it up yesterday and discovered how short the chassis is as its only a little more then 3" deep. There is only one usb port for the deck and I was planning on putting it below the deck for easy access for music from drives as well as for my phone but I would not care about the cable going to the console really now that I think about it if I do not need to see the phone. I am pretty sure if its all working right your not supposed to need to see the phone but I am waiting to find out.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The whole reason behind CarPlay features was that you don’t need to touch your phone. Basically once plugged in the stereo becomes an extension of the phone

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Like any true mustang owner, I keep my phone in my purse. :D

I can control it through the Bluetooth functions

The whole reason behind CarPlay features was that you don’t need to touch your phone. Basically once plugged in the stereo becomes an extension of the phone

In order for it to work, it must be plugged in, and currently, the cable is too short in mine. I rarely use this feature, only for navigation unfamiliar areas. But when I do I just let it dangle between the transmission tunnel and passenger floor board. If it were longer, I’d let it live in between the ebrake and ashtray cover. I don’t really have an ashtray anymore, but I already have a custom switch plate there.

I supposed the best solution may involve wiring it to the glovebox.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I considered just pitching it into the glove box or console but after some thought I decided against it. I have had a phone and a laptop go down after the power cords were bumped/yanked and with some spirited driving it seems like that would be easy to do. I found a fairly simple mount on amazon and figured out a way to mount it. I bend a bracket into a 90 and its screwed into the dash behind the radio bezel so I could remove it later and there will be no sign of it. I am about to go mount it in place now.
48233976277_76e449280f_b.jpg

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Figured I'd throw some info in here
Last I used android auto was in my Crown Vic about a year ago so the software may have changed. I haven't gotten an android auto head unit for the Mustang yet but do plan to as I loved having it before.

Android auto disables the screen to the phone. If the phone is unlocked it simply shows a black screen with the android auto logo. I beleive the notification bar and the lock screen function normally but it prevents you from using any apps on the physical phone.
You do not need to have the phone visible to you after its plugged in and the android auto logo appears. So the center console bin or glovebox would be sufficient places to store the phone in this instance.
If you're worried about the cable breaking or pulling out of the phone when stored in either of these locations you could pick up a right angled cable which would prevent the cable from bending if the phone slides into the side of either the bin or the glovebox, and they're usually less prone to pulling or wobbling themselves out of the charging port of the phone

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I have found that almost all phone mounts vibrate. I have to have mine mounted so that it holds the phone but also braces the phone against the dash. The shorter the arm of the phone mount, the less vibration.

badass98svt

Reaction score

That's what I did

Only way you can do though is with a 98+ console insert. The 98 was the first year to eliminate the flip-out cup holder.

Attachments

• PXL_20230417_195640344.jpg
    PXL_20230417_195640344.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230417_195652865.jpg
    PXL_20230417_195652865.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 6

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
I have a flex mount that fits in a cup holder. I put the phone in there and then lean it off to one side over parallel to the e-brake so it's out of the way of the shifter. If I need both cup holders then I put it in the center console and plug it in to the 12v power that's in there with a little adapter and then connect via bluetooth. Bluetooth chews through power like a monkey through bananas so it's gotta be plugged in when connected that way.

lutter94

Reaction score

I designed this. Arkon makes the base, it's the same as tuners, Garmin, etc. But we redrew the neck to house a 3/8 threaded stud for our ball to attach to. Mines on the left side of the steering wheel. But it'd stick anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online