Where to buy forged internals?

MrE

Reaction score
Well, my timeline has been moved up on building the bottom end; as I have found a bad rod bearing.
I have decided to just forge everything, crank, rods and pistons.

My question is who do you guys recommend for quality parts.

I have been leaning towards Modular Head Shop (Excessive Motorsports) in Florida, purchased my cams from them and have no complaints.
Mixed reviews for MMR and have had no luck with finding anyone else.

Had this same exact question and was about to post when found this thread. Subscribing for updates.

OP
OP
blackdemon007

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Its always good to ask your shop about getting the parts you desire. Even directing them to the locations where to purchase, like at a dealership. Alot of times the builder has accounts already getting a discount and may pass that along to you just because of your business. Building a relationship with your builder is important and beneficial to both parties. Give it a try.

That's good information.
I did talk to them before I purchased the parts, but they mostly work on early muscle and don't have a large 4.6 customer base.
The guy is very knowledgeable and didn't have a problem doing the work with outsourced parts.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's good information.
I did talk to them before I purchased the parts, but they mostly work on early muscle and don't have a large 4.6 customer base.
The guy is very knowledgeable and didn't have a problem doing the work with outsourced parts.

If they don't have a large modular Ford customer base I would look elsewhere. I'm not saying the 4.6 is rocket science but I prefer my builder to be familiar with the quirks that go along with each platform. There are numerous changes in the 4.6 over the years that could complicate a build if you don't know what your looking for especially when mixing and matching. Just my personal preference though.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Awesome info as well ^

Such as the aluminum 4.6l blocks. They are very quirky to machine and not as straight forward like a cast iron block. Im finding the best machining for an aluminum block is to resleeve the cylinders. Just for simplicity sake. My LS buddies have been complaining about their engine builder fail rate on aluminum blocks. They discovered its best just to machine the block for new wet sleeves. Expensive! But proven

OP
OP
blackdemon007

blackdemon007

Reaction score
If they don't have a large modular Ford customer base I would look elsewhere. I'm not saying the 4.6 is rocket science but I prefer my builder to be familiar with the quirks that go along with each platform. There are numerous changes in the 4.6 over the years that could complicate a build if you don't know what your looking for especially when mixing and matching. Just my personal preference though.

Awesome info as well ^

Such as the aluminum 4.6l blocks. They are very quirky to machine and not as straight forward like a cast iron block. Im finding the best machining for an aluminum block is to resleeve the cylinders. Just for simplicity sake. My LS buddies have been complaining about their engine builder fail rate on aluminum blocks. They discovered its best just to machine the block for new wet sleeves. Expensive! But proven

Care to elaborate gentlemen, the only special information I have ever heard about machining the 4.6 is the torque plates for boring?
I had Michael's clean and assemble the heads when I did the PI swap, so I have a small relationship with them already.

The guys are very knowledgeable and do have experience with the mod motor, but I am not sure to what extent.
Don't know of anyone else around here that routinely builds our motors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online