Where to buy forged internals?

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Well, my timeline has been moved up on building the bottom end; as I have found a bad rod bearing.
I have decided to just forge everything, crank, rods and pistons.

My question is who do you guys recommend for quality parts.

I have been leaning towards Modular Head Shop (Excessive Motorsports) in Florida, purchased my cams from them and have no complaints.
Mixed reviews for MMR and have had no luck with finding anyone else.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Forged bottom end will not solve your bearing issues, I had a new Cobra forged set up last 30 minutes in the hands of a Ford SVT engineer, same thing.. spun a bearing, never even got it to the dyno. Stock cranks last forever to 700 HP, vibration is what kills all cranks and forged like to snap off the front bolt so good balancing and a non Chinese damper can help. The rods are junk, plenty to choose from, here even the Chinese are good.The cast hypereutectic pistons are fine. My first engine was a stock 32 valve Etec, all cast, Vortech at 500 hp and 150 1/4 drag runs in a 4500 pound car, did fine UNTIL you screw up the tune. Forged pistons are a little better but do more damage to the block when they go instead of shattering, Pick your poison. Check out Mod Max for parts. Flame on guys...OLD FART out.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whats the budget?

I bought my Manley rods/pistons and rings bearings etc from CMS.

http://www.cushmanmotorsports.com

Cheap: reuse stock crank, Boss rods are super cheap and good for like 600-700 hp, your choice of forged pistons.

Baller $$$ Cobra forged crank, at minimum Manley forged rods and pistons. Could go CP or Diamond.

If I were purchasing parts for my build today I would use the Boss rods to save money.

OP
OP
blackdemon007

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Budget will support whatever is necessary at this point. End goals are around 700 hp via supercharger.
Therefore I would like to change the crank now, plus my guess is the cast crank is probably scored and would need to be ground anyway.

Thanks for the options guys, I will check them out.

OP
OP
blackdemon007

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Forged bottom end will not solve your bearing issues, I had a new Cobra forged set up last 30 minutes in the hands of a Ford SVT engineer, same thing.. spun a bearing, never even got it to the dyno. Stock cranks last forever to 700 HP, vibration is what kills all cranks and forged like to snap off the front bolt so good balancing and a non Chinese damper can help. The rods are junk, plenty to choose from, here even the Chinese are good.The cast hypereutectic pistons are fine. My first engine was a stock 32 valve Etec, all cast, Vortech at 500 hp and 150 1/4 drag runs in a 4500 pound car, did fine UNTIL you screw up the tune. Forged pistons are a little better but do more damage to the block when they go instead of shattering, Pick your poison. Check out Mod Max for parts. Flame on guys...OLD FART out.

New parts will definitely be balanced. I'm using the Steeda Crank Pulley at the moment, never heard of one causing a bearing failure. Tuned before bearing failed, so this should not be an issue either.
I assumed the bearing just went out from high mileage - 200,000 on the motor.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Budget will support whatever is necessary at this point. End goals are around 700 hp via supercharger.
Therefore I would like to change the crank now, plus my guess is the cast crank is probably scored and would need to be ground anyway.

Thanks for the options guys, I will check them out.

If 700 is the goal then I would go with a nice Manley or Carillo I beam set of rods and CP pistons. L&M Engines has a high end piston they had made that is great for big HP builds.

https://www.lmengines.com (this is my local builder)

Also I would go ARP everything if I was going 700 or more HP.

neverenuff

Reaction score
I'm not a rep for MMR, but they have high quality products and if/when my shortblock goes, I will go to them for a new forged internal one. I've bought their 2v ported/polished heads from them as well. A few months ago, I ordered a head cooling mod from them- $200 part, it was delivered to the wrong address so I called MMR, they shipped a new one out right away. This is some of the best customer service I've had. Wish I could say that for a few other companies....

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
All companies have great service 70% of the time. Their are always those customers that expect 120% or did something to sabotaged their own build and trying to blame the company they spent the most money with.

Here's a few links to known modular engine builders.

http://www.dssracing.com/D_S_S_Modular_Ford_engines_s/124.htm
http://modularmotorsportsracing.com/wp/
https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/
http://www.modmaxracing.com/
http://www.cushmanmotorsports.com/cms-2v-stage-2-n-a-cams/
http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

All great companies willing to provide great service.

cameron57

Reaction score
Lmr builds good stuff from what ive heard and i think there in florida

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
What do you guys think of livernois motorsports. They sell there forged shortblocks for about 4k.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Livernois also is an awesome modular builder thats a premier Ls engine builder too. I should included them in a list, but forgot.

Must be a good company. Never hear about the bad.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Livernois also is an awesome modular builder thats a premier Ls engine builder too. I should included them in a list, but forgot.

Must be a good company. Never hear about the bad.

They treat there shortblocks like its coming directly from Ford engine assembly line. The machine work only says a lot.

OP
OP
blackdemon007

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I know Livernois is top notch, when it comes to intakes.
Unfortunately, they don't sell internals - only shortblocks and pistons.

However, I ordered a full kit from Cushman.
As a side note, their web page shows kits with Kellogg cranks, got an email from them that they use SCAT forged cranks as the Kelloggs are no longer available.
This also makes the kit $300 cheaper.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I know Livernois is top notch, when it comes to intakes.
Unfortunately, they don't sell internals - only shortblocks and pistons.

However, I ordered a full kit from Cushman.
As a side note, their web page shows kits with Kellogg cranks, got an email from them that they use SCAT forged cranks as the Kelloggs are no longer available.
This also makes the kit $300 cheaper.

That's good information to know! Where are you getting your engine built or your doing it yourself?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Jim Cushman is the man. I bought my pistons and rods from him.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys think of livernois motorsports. They sell there forged shortblocks for about 4k.

Great company!
I almost pulled the trigger on a set of their ported NPI's back in the day when they were a premier 4.6 builder. The tech guys were really knowledgeable and the shop managers son Kyle was a friend over on Corral and hooked us up with info.

OP
OP
blackdemon007

blackdemon007

Reaction score
A local shop for me, Michael's Racing Engines, in Macedonia will be cleaning, boring and decking the block.

I haven't decided if I want to have them go ahead and assemble the engine or learn it for myself.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its always good to ask your shop about getting the parts you desire. Even directing them to the locations where to purchase, like at a dealership. Alot of times the builder has accounts already getting a discount and may pass that along to you just because of your business. Building a relationship with your builder is important and beneficial to both parties. Give it a try.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Great company!
I almost pulled the trigger on a set of their ported NPI's back in the day when they were a premier 4.6 builder. The tech guys were really knowledgeable and the shop managers son Kyle was a friend over on Corral and hooked us up with info.

Awesome. I definitely want to look into them. There short blocks are very appealing.

A local shop for me, Michael's Racing Engines, in Macedonia will be cleaning, boring and decking the block.

I haven't decided if I want to have them go ahead and assemble the engine or learn it for myself.

Doing it yourself is always the best but I hate mistakes lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online