Where to start on the motor

95-stang

Reaction score
Where to start is a good question, i've read a fair bit about where to start, what to buy, ie 65mm throttle body, bigger injectors etc.
In the UK its not so easy to find stuff, so its a case of out with the Summit catalogue.
It wont be going down the dragstrip, but its used on the road a lot, so it really just wants a bit more poke.
So far the Magnaflow system and March pulleys seem to have made a little difference, though sometimes its easy to confuse a louder exhaust with going faster. ;)
So if you had a standard 302 to work on, where would you start? I'm not ready yet for bigger valves, ported heads or a supercharger.
Neither can i just go up the road and whip a Cobra intake off a scrap car.
Help !!!

d_punch

Reaction score
GEARS

the hard part about it, is picking out which ratio.

since you not hitting the strip, IMO 3:90, 4:10 etc.. would be out of the question

i run 3:73 and love them. my car also sit more than it is driven

it really depends on how much the car is driven and how much mpg or in your case kpl you are willing to sacrifice.

if it's your only car and is driven for everything, i would go 3:55 the most 3:73.

it's also harder for you since you guys on the other side of the water, cause you pay more for gas too.

so you have to factor you pro's and con's.

QIKGTS

Reaction score
I agree with :lol:

Gears (4.10/3.90 for a stick or 3.73 for an auto. The auto needs a tune with the 4.10 or it'll shift like poo when getting on it.), pulley's, lose the air silencer, bump the timing if it won't ping, aftermarket shifter for a stick car, then save the rest of your budget for a blower or heads, cam and intake...

Don't fear the gear! You will still get decent economy with 4.10's. Only those that have never had them will tell you different...

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Seems its gears then. :)
Thanks all for the info, i forgot to say its auto, it currently has a 2.73 limited slip from the factory.

Downshift

Reaction score
95-stang said:
Seems its gears then. :)
Thanks all for the info, i forgot to say its auto, it currently has a 2.73 limited slip from the factory.

Yes get rid of those things. I have driven my two of my friends 5.0s. One has 2.73s like you and the other has 3.08s and I can tell quite a large difference in just pedal feel. Do it you will be much more happy. In my experince though I wouldnt go higher then 3.73s. I have 3.90s and they seem like too much shifting and not good for me on the freeway. I dont know about you but I dont like cruising at 3k+ I am switchign to 3.73s perfect gear in my opinion.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gears, then all at once HEADS CAM INTAKE, probaly a Throttle Body too or just go with a supercharger instead of all that.

for gears id go 4.10...unless you do lots of highway then 3.73 or the sweet spot they do make 3.90 but can be kinda a pain to find.

ryclef331

Reaction score
QIKGTS said:
Gears (4.10/3.90 for a stick or 3.73 for an auto. The auto needs a tune with the 4.10 or it'll shift like poo when getting on it.

Please stop with the misinformation.

A stick car will make the BEST of a TALLER gear compared to an Auto. If you're running an automatic, 4.10s are a MINIMUM. The AODE is a DOG anyways. A shift kit (at a minimum) should be one of the first drive train mods. I don't know who told you taller for an auto is better but its a load a crap.

Regardless, on a close to stock car, 4.10s....no less.

QIKGTS

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
QIKGTS said:
Gears (4.10/3.90 for a stick or 3.73 for an auto. The auto needs a tune with the 4.10 or it'll shift like poo when getting on it.

Please stop with the misinformation.

A stick car will make the BEST of a TALLER gear compared to an Auto. If you're running an automatic, 4.10s are a MINIMUM. The AODE is a DOG anyways. A shift kit (at a minimum) should be one of the first drive train mods. I don't know who told you taller for an auto is better but its a load a crap.

Regardless, on a close to stock car, 4.10s....no less.

Not to hijack, but if you do 4.10's with an aode, a proper tune is indeed needed. If you know a way to make the computer shift a 4.10 geared auto without banging the low ass rev limiter an aode car has, please share it. Things happen too fast for the stock eec to shift right with a 4.10 set up and no tune...

If we were talking about an aod, c4 or any non computer controlled tranny Ford put in a Mustang, I would certainly recommend a 4.10 or shorter set of cog's...

ryclef331

Reaction score
In that case then, it should be a package deal when you buy the stuff. Why half ass it? Selling yourself short with 3.73's b/c you don't wanna reprogram for shift points it pretty fuggin stupid if it you ask me. People STILL have problems with the rev limiter even with just 3.73s. All I'm saying is don't half ass it. Plenty of autos will bang the fuck outta the rev limiter if you're spinning the shit out of the tires with your foot through the floor. If the car is hooking up with out tire spin...a mild bolt on car will more than likely drive me. Your results MAY VARY. I've seen people bounce the RPMs to moon and others have great luck. Again, your results may vary. I don't know any magic tricks for ya. I just know what works.

4.10s, Shift Kit, Converter, and a (if it needs it) CHIP....END of story.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
A lot of the meets we go to are a way away [not by your standards, just ours :) ] and theres usually 70mph plus cruising.
Petrol is running at about 88pence per litre, so its 4.3 ltrs to the UK gallon, so a gallon is roughly £3.78, if you prefer approx $7.56.
So when your doing around 20mpg, it becomes a bit expensive.
I didnt buy the car because its economical, i bought it because i liked it, and i like my V8's, it sounds like 4.10 would be good, but i might do better
on the motorway with 3.73, even if its not the optimum.
Just out of interest what do those of you running 3.73s 4.10s get to the gallon?
Or your having so much fun you dont care. ;)

d_punch

Reaction score
i couldn't even tell you what i get per gal.

but you still haven't let us know if your car is your daily driver or is it a weekend warrior?

since its an auto i would look on the taller sideof gears. i don't know a whole lot about the AODE, but what i do know is in stock form it's a dog.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Sorry, its cos i'm too ashamed to say i dont use it every day.
Not in the winter months anyway, but it gets a lot of summer use, i couldnt cope with it daily, it would'nt get a second glance over there, but here i get people
hanging out of windows taking pictures with their camera phones etc that and its still a bit wide for the places i go.
That , and i dont like leaving it where i cant see it, i cant just walk up the road to buy replacement parts.
Your right about the box not being the best, but it could be long and costly to swap it.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
i have a 95 5.0, 5 spd. pretty much all the bolt ons possible, plus exhaust and 4.10 gears and i get about 17mpg in town. but then again i do love that gas pedal...... O0

d_punch

Reaction score
95-stang said:
Sorry, its cos i'm too ashamed to say i dont use it every day.
Not in the winter months anyway, but it gets a lot of summer use, i couldnt cope with it daily, it would'nt get a second glance over there, but here i get people
hanging out of windows taking pictures with their camera phones etc that and its still a bit wide for the places i go.
That , and i dont like leaving it where i cant see it, i cant just walk up the road to buy replacement parts.
Your right about the box not being the best, but it could be long and costly to swap it.

there isn't anything wrong with that. just trying to give the best advise for what you use the car for, thats all.
cause from what you said it's a weekend cruise. just a car you take out to enjoy. not a car that you use for everyday transportation.
so if i were in your shoes i would go to a 4:10, but thats my opinion. you might be happy with something higher, but i don't have an auto, and haven't driven anythign with more than 3:73 gear.
hopefully others will chime in.

ripper

Reaction score
I have 4.10's 95stang and it is fun to drive but its a chore. I would think with an auto though it might be better. In fifth gear at 70mph im tachin like 2300. Which isnt that bad. I also have a 93 octang tune so fuel wise its tuff. Im not sure what mpg im getting i never did the math but i can tell by the frequency of my fillups its not good LOL. Im sure you will be happy with 3.73's or 4.10's the difference from stock is awesome. You get that Mustang sit ya back in the seat pull that no other car has. My wifes car is a 95GT auto (bone stock) and i enjoy driving that too. Mine has all the work done too it and i could never drive it every day. Its a beast lol. I didnt notice if you have an ehaust yet if not i would start there. Makin it sound like a stang first. Well thats my .02.

Pushin for 100 posts :blah2:

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Stevo said:
I have 4.10's 95stang and it is fun to drive but its a chore. I would think with an auto though it might be better. In fifth gear at 70mph im tachin like 2300. Which isnt that bad. I also have a 93 octang tune so fuel wise its tuff. Im not sure what mpg im getting i never did the math but i can tell by the frequency of my fillups its not good LOL. Im sure you will be happy with 3.73's or 4.10's the difference from stock is awesome. You get that Mustang sit ya back in the seat pull that no other car has. My wifes car is a 95GT auto (bone stock) and i enjoy driving that too. Mine has all the work done too it and i could never drive it every day. Its a beast lol. I didnt notice if you have an ehaust yet if not i would start there. Makin it sound like a stang first. Well thats my .02.

Pushin for 100 posts :blah2:

This is all interesting reading to me, i had never really considered gears, just really considered going for horsepower.
I have a Magnaflow stainless catback system, i'm looking at loosing the smog pump too, either with a delete pulley or smaller belt. ;)

jpajkos

Reaction score
Im sorry when I had my fox after I installed gears and went with a good HCI set up. pushrod motors IMO are alot better with a nice HCI setup and some Nitrous. S/C is always cool but if I did it over again I wouldn't have supercharged mine. I like feeling raw power from the motor.

Downshift

Reaction score
Do you have a mid pipe on yet? Like an off road X or H pipe? If you dont, get one they make a pretty good sized difference. Not a ton of hp but not bad for the price and it will wake your car up a lot. More flow+ Louder and nicer sounding cant go wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online