Where to start

Shawn

Reaction score
Just posted to the Intro section, now down to the real question, where to start... I have the car, I've had the transmission rebuilt in a local shop (whoever tried to rebuild it prior to me getting the car put the throw-out bearing in backwards, sounded like a bird chirping under the car), the car runs, not great, but it runs. Has a leak on the back end of the motor, not huge, but it leaks. You can hear a pop when the steering wheel turns so I have to assume there is something I cannot see binding up in there. The car has 200k miles on the original engine and doesn't really have a ton of power. Obvious maintenance items aside, I am looking for a little guidance to getting this roadworthy enough to enjoy on a few Sunday cruises here on the East Coast before the weather changes... be mindful I have inclined mechanically, but an automotive noob for sure.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Did you pull the trans yourself or did the shop do it? If you have a leak on the back of the engine, with the trans being out now is the perfect time for an inspection. I would check 3 things for a leak. Rear main seal, valve covers and oil pan. None of those are expensive parts and eith the trans out now is the best time to do the rear main as it needs to be done with the trans out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shawn

Reaction score
The transmission shop did all the work. Sadly I didn't realize there was a leak until I got it home. It was parked in the grass at the previous owners house and I took it from there to the trans shop, then drove it home and noticed the stain on my garage floor. I got the car in trade for some work, so I also didn't get the best report of any issues it may have had. Sounds like I have a pretty pricey road ahead of me to get this thing right.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Not necessarily. A rear main seal is like 15 bucks. 90% of this stuff is just nuts and bolts. YouTube is your best friend. My suggestion is to jack the car up and check around. If the bottom of the trans is soaked in oil I would suspect that seal. If it's up high more along the lines of a valve cover.

If you're a car noob like you said that's perfectly ok. All of us were at one time. When I was 16 trying to modify a car in the driveway I didnt have the luxury of youtube and things like that. My advice is take your time. Stop and observe often and if you have any doubts stop, research and go back when you're confident.

OP
OP
S

Shawn

Reaction score
Not necessarily. A rear main seal is like 15 bucks. 90% of this stuff is just nuts and bolts. YouTube is your best friend. My suggestion is to jack the car up and check around. If the bottom of the trans is soaked in oil I would suspect that seal. If it's up high more along the lines of a valve cover.

If you're a car noob like you said that's perfectly ok. All of us were at one time. When I was 16 trying to modify a car in the driveway I didnt have the luxury of youtube and things like that. My advice is take your time. Stop and observe often and if you have any doubts stop, research and go back when you're confident.

Thanks... I hoping between the Chiltons manual, YouTube, this site and a little luck, I can get this thing going in the right direction.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I like your confidence! You will achieve all the goals you set with this attitude!

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Any updates on the oil leaks? Maybe some pictures of where its leaking if you still need some help

OP
OP
S

Shawn

Reaction score
Any updates on the oil leaks? Maybe some pictures of where its leaking if you still need some help

I'm going to creep under and snap a few pics tomorrow. Between being an "essential" worker and kids sports, it's been hectic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online