Which brand for a Replacement distributor???

kb1982

Reaction score
I pulled my distributor out of the car today to prime the oil pump and it needs to be replaced. It is as sloppy as a 60 year old prostitute. I know Ive seen post about the 94-95 ones been hit or miss, such as msd is a miss. So which brand should I choose Rich Porter, Cardone remanned or new????

toyman

Reaction score
Hi don't recall reading about anyone having a problem with the Richporter. All new for around $100.

Rallim

Reaction score
I'm on my second richporter, it was cutting out at high RPM the first time but still drove around fine regularly. Lifetime warranty, so whatever. No problems otherwise.

RichV

Reaction score
RP here as well. Lifetime is great, my cam chewed up the gear and they swapped it for a new one.

I was told however by the O'reilly dude that the one I bought was discontinued (for a 94). My replacement was one that came from their shelf. So I'm not sure if they are harder to get now, or not.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
When mine crapped out I got a Rich Porter also, this was in January I think. Got it from O'Reilly as well. But my car is still having problems so I can't say whether it was good or bad yet.

Racsirx

Reaction score
I would go OEM, MSD sucks but I did have a Mallory one that worked good with no problems.

J-rod17

Reaction score
You guys that mention OEM....know where I can get the gear puller tool to rebuild one?

Been looking for a while now and cant find in stock.

I got an RP in mine and it is doing well, but wanted to have the OEM rebuilt to have a spare.

OP
OP
kb1982

kb1982

Reaction score
You guys that mention OEM....know where I can get the gear puller tool to rebuild one?

Been looking for a while now and cant find in stock.

I got an RP in mine and it is doing well, but wanted to have the OEM rebuilt to have a spare.

Ive seen several power steering pulley removers that would do the trick. Just need a 2 claw version.

J-rod17

Reaction score
Thanks. Ill check Ebay. wanted new, but if its a taken care of used one be ok.

The new ones listed there are out of stock still.

OP
OP
kb1982

kb1982

Reaction score
I noticed Ive never posted the out come of the distrib I got one here so here it goes. I ended up ordering a new rich porter unit from orielly's that has a lifetime warranty on it. It has been working great without any problems. They only gripe I have about it, apparently at some point, they discontinued the 94-95 distributor, and now they all are built on the earlier style foxbody distrib that has the surface that the tfi would mount too.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also rocking the Richporter. Swapped it on my old coupe and my current 95 has it as well. Haven't had any issues but never really had either one long enough to know but as said before, OEM is the probably right there at the very best.

I work at an Oreilly's and I'll have to check tomorrow about the availability of the 94-95 dizzy's. Seems odd that they would discontinue them, but may have become a special order piece. I'll find out either way just to be 100% for everyone.

OP
OP
kb1982

kb1982

Reaction score
You can see the flat surface in this pic where the tfi mounts. Guess its cheaper to produce only 1 body. Looks retarded but it works.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
OP - if your distributor works, just leave it alone. When you say it's "sloppy" - what do you mean? They all have lots of endplay. Does it have a lot of axial play? What?

OP
OP
kb1982

kb1982

Reaction score
Damn, that is a great deal. As for the slop, it was axial. I still have the old one that im gonna strip down and make into a oil pump priming tool, and keep the pip just in case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online