Which cams?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys think i should swap my cams or not...here is my setup:

Full bolt on 97 Gt, auto with:
SQ trim Mongoose kit, boost pipe
PI Intake Manifold

Just wondering if you guys could recommend any cams out there that would benefit me with the s/c...keep in mind i only did the PI Intake swap and not the heads...

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
MM&FF did a write up about comp cams a while back, and it had in it some info on what Comp cams worked well with a blower.........let me dig and see if I can find that issue for you :)

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
does comp cam make blower friendly cams that work with non pi heads?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
97stanger said:
does comp cam make blower friendly cams that work with non pi heads?

I can find my damn mag :mad: :mad: but I do know that there are 2 separate sets of the comp cams, one set of three different grinds are for NON PI heads.................and the other set of three diffrent grinds are for the PI heads.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would go with the Crower NPI Blower cams if you are keeping the NPI heads. VT sells them

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
do you think the Crower blower npi cams would yield me much hp?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I would go with the Crower NPI Blower cams if you are keeping the NPI heads. VT sells them
I agree

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
hmm im starting to like those Crower stage 2 non pi s/c cams...do they only come in stage 2?? I think thats what i would go with anyway but im just curious...also with these cams can i just swap them or do i need springs or any other parts? never swapped cams before...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you have to swap springs with the NPI cams...wouldn't hurt though! I haven't seen any other grind for sale besides the st 2 npi sc cams.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
I have HP 292 blower cams.

do you have your non PI heads still? If so then your cams would do nicely for him since he still has his non PI heads :)

S

scarface

yep I am non pi. They do recommend using PI valve springs to get full use of the cams (higher RPMs), but thats it. No shims or anything. I didnt use the Pi springs, but I will be VERY soon. 600 more rpms= more boost.

The specs per Houston Performance: 228/[email protected] 531/531lift 114lsa. Blower Grind.

They will have a lope to them, you will need a converter if you have an Automatic trans.

jpajkos

Reaction score
For the NPI setup like droptop said Crower is the way to go. You will pickup about 40 to the wheels from previous writeups plus like scarface said new spring = more boost which = more hp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online