Which head light kit to get (long)?

markwsoil

Reaction score
I have a 1998 GT convertible. My daughter was driving it recently and got lightly hit in the front , so I decided to replace the stock headlights with an after market kit from Late Model Restoration Supply (LMRS).

The first set I ordered came with a broken adjuster. It was broken off of the headlight shell, so could not be repaired. They sent another kit (the wrong one, but it still looked good) which the body shop subsequently installed on the car.

The light kit is the Black Beauty Ultra-Clear kit. They look incredible on the car, but they are GARBAGE!! They produce about as much light as my halogen mag light flashlight, they're difficult to adjust laterally, they leak water like a sieve, and now I notice that the silver reflective coating inside the left one is flaking off, leaving the bare yellow plastic as a "reflector". The lights are less than two weeks old, for point of reference.

LMRS will take them back, so I'm OK with LMRS. I thought about going with OEM stuff from Ford to avoid further headaches, but I'd like to dress up the car a little more than just OEM stuff.

Anybody out there use an after market kit that actually works, you know, that actually produces useable light and doesn't look like the inside of a green house on a winter day? I'm not too concerned about cost (obviously if I'm going OEM), but I do want quality. Does that even exist in after market kits?

Thanks for wading through the above. All advice is welcome.

Suspect

Reaction score
i got mine from blue oval ind, smoked. and had em for over 2 years and they still look new. the bulbs that come with em sux tho.

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
I just bought a set of smoked lights from Blue Oval off of Ebay! Off Ebay, the total is $292.52. I got them for $254! It is HLs, fogs, and markers. It also comes with bulbs and adjusters, it says. I am yet to receive, but I can't wait!!

Fryrice

Reaction score
I had a similar conversation with SRT-Handz. He warned me about the LMRS lights ,so I got new OEM's from Ford. Looks like I made the right decision.They make the car looks years younger ,and I know they will last. I got them new for $100 each. Heres a pic of my old light ,and the new OEM. This pic does not do them justice. The new ones look awesome on the car,and they light up everything around.

OEM FTW !

DSC00424.jpg

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
Suspect said:
i got mine from blue oval ind, smoked. and had em for over 2 years and they still look new. the bulbs that come with em sux tho.
What bubs did you switch too? I have the same set up and dont even drive at night because of the lack of light produced.

stang94X

Reaction score
The Green GT said:
phil_the_thrill said:

Those corners are junk. I had them and you could see strands od hot glue from them doing a crappy job gluing the lens on the housing.

I have the black beauty ones, and they suck with light output.

But I fixed that with an HID kit. :)

those headlights from ebay are the exact ones that i got, but from a different company and they were a few bucks cheaper and they look great, not one thing wrong with them, i also bought a set of ford racing ultra white bulbs off of ebay for $20 and people always flash their brights at me cause they think i have mine on, then i flash my brights, theyre awsome, i love em

The Green GT

Reaction score
Oh and the reason your black beauties leaked alot is because they have a drain hole thats pretty big. I ran a silicone bead all the way around mine and made sure they was no water in them and sealed up both holes on each light. I have had zero problems since then and they look as good as they did when I got them (minus the bugs lol)

GDawg

Reaction score
Blue Oval... over three years old. Fogs too.

PICT0069.jpg

girls04_02.jpg

I added this picture cause even though this German chick doesn't look great in this photo (I have other better ones), she has an amazing rack. My sister Mustang club in Germany. :D

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
GDawg said:
Blue Oval... over three years old. Fogs too.

PICT0069.jpg

girls04_02.jpg

I added this picture cause even though this German chick doesn't look great in this photo (I have other better ones), she has an amazing rack. My sister Mustang club in Germany. :D

Do they still have those headlight kits?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online