Which heads?

Itsaiight5.0

Reaction score
So I did a little research on heads for my 94 gt, and appears my cheapest, route would be some gt40p heads. However I don't know which ones, (year if it matters), will bolt up and if there's anything else I'll need to change. I just bought an Edelbrock performance upper and lower intake, and I figured if I'ma change out that I might as well change out tha heads. Also, is there any difference performance wise between gt40p and say a $800 dollar set of Edelbrock heads? I am out of my wheelhouse here seeing as I'm an electrician, not a mechanic so bare with me because I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

beyondEOD

Reaction score
Mid 1997+ Explorer/Mountaineer SUV Models - Part #F77E-AA

You will need P specific headers or BBK unequal length work with 90 degree plug wires.

I found a set that was pulled from a running explorer for $100. I decided to have them cleaned, decked, valve job, AlexParts spring kit and seals installed for $300.

You will need valve springs even for the stock HO cam. Alexparts has drop in kits. Stock rocker will work fine.

From what I have read pretty much every aluminum head has what it needs to outperform the gt40 heads. I still wanted them. For $500 in my heads I wanna work on getting the car into the 12s NA.

If you find a clean set of heads you could probably just swap springs if the valve job still seals.

Are you keeping EGR?

Goals for the car?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

Itsaiight5.0

Reaction score

You will need P specific headers or BBK unequal length work with 90 degree plug wires.

I found a set that was pulled from a running explorer for $100. I decided to have them cleaned, decked, valve job, AlexParts spring kit and seals installed for $300.

You will need valve springs even for the stock HO cam. Alexparts has drop in kits. Stock rocker will work fine.

From what I have read pretty much every aluminum head has what it needs to outperform the gt40 heads. I still wanted them. For $500 in my heads I wanna work on getting the car into the 12s NA.

If you find a clean set of heads you could probably just swap springs if the valve job still seals.

Are you keeping EGR?

Goals for the car?

Egr delete and should I just go with the gt40's to avoid the pain in the ass spark plug ordeal? And I've got tha spray and pray on the way in the mail now that's gonna get installed sooner or later. I just wanna go faster on a budget cause I'm tight right now. Really debating on even changing out tha heads at all. I just don't know enough about this shit to tell.

OP
OP
I

Itsaiight5.0

Reaction score

Are you keeping EGR?

Goals for the car?

What about the 96 explorer heads for the gt40's?

beyondEOD

Reaction score
What about the 96 explorer heads for the gt40's?

1996-Mid 1997 Ford Explorer & Mountaineer SUV - Part #F1ZE-AA 3 bar gt40 heads. You can use your HO valve springs.

I'd say put on the intake and spray it first. Head swap is so much more work.

OP
OP
I

Itsaiight5.0

Reaction score
1996-Mid 1997 Ford Explorer & Mountaineer SUV - Part #F1ZE-AA 3 bar gt40 heads. You can use your HO valve springs.

Yea that's where I'm going with this. Holy shit I just watched tha junkyard vid on the removal and install and holy cheese and crackers batman! I work roughly 60 hrs a week and I don't have a garage so I don't think I'd get done with all that till next winter. But like I was asking, how big of a difference are we talking between my stock heads and aftermarket?

beyondEOD

Reaction score
Yea that's where I'm going with this. Holy shit I just watched tha junkyard vid on the removal and install and holy cheese and crackers batman! I work roughly 60 hrs a week and I don't have a garage so I don't think I'd get done with all that till next winter. But like I was asking, how big of a difference are we talking between my stock heads and aftermarket?

Just comparing combos it seems like 15-20hp over gt40s is about normal with aftermarket heads all else being the same.

OP
OP
I

Itsaiight5.0

Reaction score
Just comparing combos it seems like 15-20hp over gt40s is about normal with aftermarket heads all else being the same.

I gotcha, well I appreciate the input and the saving of the headache. Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more than to put heads on this thing, but I just don't have the time or money for it.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Look at RHS. The casting are the old Canfield from ford racing days. You can get a set bare for around 450$. Another 3-500 in quality components. RHS 200 are good for hot 302-347
The smaller 180 head would be the ticket for a mild 302 compare $$$$. For rebuilding a set of cast heads compared to cost of new.

beyondEOD

Reaction score
Look at RHS. The casting are the old Canfield from ford racing days. You can get a set bare for around 450$. Another 3-500 in quality components. RHS 200 are good for hot 302-347
The smaller 180 head would be the ticket for a mild 302 compare $$$$. For rebuilding a set of cast heads compared to cost of new.
Where can you get them for that price. Summit has them at $4xx a piece bare.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A builder wholesaler. Last year under 1000 built with Ferrara 6000 series valves. Comp s/s rockers and comp springs Same guy built another set of profiler sbf heads all custom valve train. 1800. The profilers are 1300 bare

OP
OP
I

Itsaiight5.0

Reaction score
................uhhh I'm guessing y'all missed tha part about me not being a mechanic... Lemme clarify for ya, the timing ain't the only thing retarded over here....

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
For the record... RHS is not, nor ever were Canfield castings. They are Pro Topline.

^ He’d know!

................uhhh I'm guessing y'all missed tha part about me not being a mechanic... Lemme clarify for ya, the timing ain't the only thing retarded over here....

I’m an electrician too. You can do this work yourself, it’s not rocket science and it’s well charted territory.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Holy shiznit!!!!! Is that Ed Curtis as in the Cam spec god?!??? He’s been on here since 08?!?

How did I not know this and why does he only have 2 post in 12 years?!???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online