Which strut tower brace route should I go?

PinkieT

Reaction score
I have a 98 ragtop. It did not come with the threaded holes for the strut brace from the factory like earlier cars. I got a $160 Kenny Brown KB-29501 strut tower brace cheap in a parts deal. It’s an 03-04 cobra brace built to fit around the blower. It requires a raised cowl hood like the factory Cobras. On the good side, it slips under the camber plates so requires no drilling of the strut towers. On the bad side, I would have to have the cross bar cut and re-welded lower in order to clear my hood. My alternative is to pick up a factory or aftermarket brace that fits a 98 GT and drill the crap out of the strut towers for mounting bolts. I did that on my wife's car before I put on the lowering springs and I know it is a really tight fit trying to put a nut on a through-bolt around the spring then. I was thinking of Marson threaded inserts, but wonder if they are strong enough and is spending $100 on a kit worth it vs. just standard old nuts, bolts, and washers.

Gotta decide which direction to go. Any opinions?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would probably try to trade the one you have for a stock one and some $$$. Probably not too hard to find and come out ahead with.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
One opinion one direction, one another. Any more input???

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
cut and weld = time into drilling and tapping the holes and to weld it make it into basically a stock brace.
trade = Money in your pocket and other then making the holes, it is ready to bolt in. Yes it might take a little while to find a trade or to sell/buy but if it saved me time cutting/welding as much as I love my welder I would trade.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Local Craigslist ad has a Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace, brand new with hardware, for $75. That is at least half price, and it looks like they don't make them any more. I like the design, and if I can get it for half price, might get the drill out and flip the Kenny Brown. Of course, tomorrow I may change my mind...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I got a stock 96 strut brace. It doesnt do me any good. My engine is to big. If you can use it and can find a 95 brace, ill swap you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online