Which water pump??

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was inspecting the motor yesterday and found a coolant puddle on top of the motor behind the front cover. It really looks like water pump to me but I am going to put a pressure tester on it this weekend to make sure.

My question is, if it is water pump what should I go with to replace it? My motor is mostly stock, but I am really thinking about a mild GT40 h/c/i build in the near future. Stock, FRPP, Stewart? Also, what is the difference between standard and reverse rotation? Thanks for the advice!

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
In all the motors I've seen and built, the stock auto parts store brand is fine. I think your seal on the timing cover might of let go like mine did. If it doesn't leak that bad or overheat id wait until you do your swap.

kb1982

Reaction score
It may be leaking from the t stat housing and landing there also. Something to check.

OP
OP
S

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yea the pressure test will show where it's leaking, I know the water pump, t-stat housing and front corner of the intake gaskets are all possibilities in that area. I definitely want to make sure I diagnose it correctly before I start replacing things!

OEM sounds good to me, thanks for the input! I guess this is why I couldn't find much when I searched water pumps on here, there isn't much to talk about!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
How many miles are on the motor? If your getting close to 200k then you might want to replace the timing chain as well. And pray you don't snap off any bolts in the process.

OP
OP
S

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
118k on the motor. I was thinking about doing the timing chain when I do the build. 200k is usually about the useful life huh?

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I have a slightly used water pump (1 month) you can have for $20 plus shipping. I'll post pictures later tonight. Like everything I sell it's already cleaned, so you don't have to.

Thanks
Michael Plummer

OP
OP
S

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
Thanks Michael, but let me see what's going on here first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online