which x pipe is the best?

shocar4

Reaction score
I know that there are alot of opinions on this, but I am ready to buy an off road x pipe and I can't decide which brand to go with! BBK, SLP,Magnaflow,Pypes.....I live in NC and we have inspections so I believe that I will need the MIL Eliminator if I am correct....please give me your advice....BTW I have a 97 cobra with Flowmasters! Thanks fellas!!!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you have inspections, you will need cats, not MILs....

i suggest bassani as "the best"

OP
OP
S

shocar4

Reaction score
well we have diagnostic inspections so they plug in to your obd2 port.....there are alot of mustangs for sale around here that have o/r x pipes so I am assuming they are passing by having the MIL illiminators...just a guess!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if they put a sniffer on your tailpipe, youll need cats.
if they dont, youll just need to get rid of the MIL, which any performance shop, handheld tuner, or MIL eliminators would do for you.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
JiMi_DRiX said:
Unless they also do a visual inspection...

+1. they dont do taht at the place i go to. but my buddy with an 89 got busted for having 2 cats when OEM equipment came with 6..... ouch.

he just took it to a different place. LOL.

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
JiMi_DRiX said:
Unless they also do a visual inspection...

+1. they dont do taht at the place i go to. but my buddy with an 89 got busted for having 2 cats when OEM equipment came with 6..... ouch.

he just took it to a different place. LOL.

My exhaust guy was telling me about that, sometimes the emissions crew gets cranky and will fail cars with 2 cats when they are stock with six. So the suggestion for me was to go catless, and just put the stock midpipe back in once every two years for my emissions. I liked that idea.. lol. Just havent gotten it done yet

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i couldnt go to the effort of swapping my x pipe every two years... i just want a head-ache free car.

MadStang

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
i couldnt go to the effort of swapping my x pipe every two years... i just want a head-ache free car.

takes 20 minutes tops. 8 bolts. 4 o2 sensors. drop pipe. insert new pipe. 8 bolts. 4 o2 sensors done.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
AaRoN said:
MustangChris said:

Headache free? LOL...maybe you should think about returning your car to stock then.

it will sorta be stock... . ... . sorta.

MadStang said:
MustangChris said:

takes 20 minutes tops. 8 bolts. 4 o2 sensors. drop pipe. insert new pipe. 8 bolts. 4 o2 sensors done.

yea. that sucks way more than the 4 seconds of me turning my key and driving away. lol.

plus im not shafting mother nature by keeping my cats.... why pollute the very air i have to breath? might-as-well take a crap on mah dinner plate too.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
MadStang said:
MustangChris said:

It is never that easy with exhaust no matter how much never seize you use.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
I remember seeing an issue in 5.0 mag or MM&FF and they dyno tested a bunch of different brand x pipes. Magnaflow uses a "true" X cross section which proved to have very good exhaust flow compared to the stamp cross over sections that BBK and Bassani use. Also the style that Mac, UPR, and VRS use also proved to scavenge exhaust better if I remember correctly. The differences were very little between all of them but BBK and Bassani weren't the "best" in the test.

I currently have a VRS shorty x pipe on my cobra and I'm happy with it, I also had a Mac x pipe on my old 91 Gt and ground clearance was better then the BBK that I had put on it the first time. My buddy also always had ground clearance problems with his BBK on his 99 Gt and swapped to a Mac and he said the ground clearance was much better.

OP
OP
S

shocar4

Reaction score
so the "true" x is a better x pipe then? I am going to buy one here in a week or so....decisions decisions!!! thanks for all the comments fellas...this is a great forum!

JDwhite98gt

Reaction score
I hated hated my bbk x with LM1's the rasp and drone was horrific. Just swapped in my Pypes off-road X and it sounds so much better, drone is gone and it doesnt sound wheezy in the lower RPM's like the bbk x did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online