Whine from Rear end when on throttle in 2004 mustang gt manual

ISmeelBaon

Reaction score
Just got differential replaced at a shop, and the car makes a whine at about 30 and over whenever on the throttle.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
seriously if you paid for it you should have either turned around on the way home or called and told them what it was doing. Did they replace the entire assembly or just the gears?

dwcopple

Reaction score
I have straight cut gears and they whine under throttle load. I should've bought Ford Racing gears that are radiused

Notthenow

Reaction score
If they were Ford gears it's most likely a bad set up. Could definitely be pinion depth or preload. Some 4.10 sets are noisier (race style like Richmond), but overall there is an issue with yours. And dont beleive" they wear in".

Notthenow

Reaction score
Pinion depth is crucial to quiet gears, then backlash. It can take a few fittings to get it right if you don't do a ton of them or its only about speed in assembly. Crush sleeve preload with new or used bearings is important too.

tinnocker

Reaction score
A good rear end man will guarantee his work. I had 3.73s installed in mine about 3 months ago. Upon leaving he told me if for any reason that I didn't like the installation to bring it back. Their reputation is what keeps them in business.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I have been using the ford racing gears forever and have changed out all 4 of my mustangs and my friends and customers included and have not run into any issues
Noises like winning or roring not good
check back lash
And pinon pre load with the crush washer

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
That is for sure
I do get some people that will ask me to do it
I do the jobs half price of what ford or any shop charges
Most of my Saturdays Sundays were other people stuff

Latest posts