White GT / Gold FR500's

venmuss

Reaction score
When I was here a few years ago there was a guy with this setup. I'm thinking about painting some wheels gold so I'm curious about what he used. Help me find him!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The pictures have been deleted from imageshack (which is why you shouldn't use that stupid site).

I'm pretty sure he just sanded them down, hit them with primer, and then used duplicolor spray cans to coat and clear them.

Rallim

Reaction score
I've used gold paint, just brake clean and primer, didn't even sand. Turned out great, just gotta spray properly. Mine were pretty clean thats why I didn't sand or scuff them

OP
OP
V

venmuss

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Rallim, what kind of paint did you use?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've used gold paint, just brake clean and primer, didn't even sand. Turned out great, just gotta spray properly. Mine were pretty clean thats why I didn't sand or scuff them
No matter how clean they are, everything being painted needs to be scuffed. Simply painting is fine until something happens (chip, scratch, etc) then it starts coming off like plastidip.

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
paint will be ok till you go to take the tire off and if the edge of the rim is painted there is a good chance it will start to chip/flake/fail.

Rallim

Reaction score
Yeah, take your time with it for sure. I'm a fan of VHT paints, the gold I've used for a lot of stuff is engine paint. It lays thick, it lays suuuuper easy, and it dries quick, and it looks great. And its pretty dang robust.

OP
OP
V

venmuss

Reaction score
Thanks Rallim!

I have painted wheels on a few occasions, just never gold. I know what I'm getting into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online